• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Under Water!

120 posts in this topic

Effective immediately, I am initiating a 25% off FLOODHELP codeword sale. Putting this sale into effect genuinely pains me, as it will mean that even our very best comics will end up being sold a net 62% off, with almost everything else on our website ending up being available to you at 66%-85% off.

hm

Can some Math Major please explain this to me?

I think you are more in need of a Meth Major to understand that one.

*Water damage and extraction is a real pain the butt. I do sympathize with Chuck on that point. We have had it happen to a few cabins before and it is not a pretty site.

I dunno ? ...If you have adequate insurance , if it's anything like my real estate experience , it's like winning the lottery , if handled correctly . IE , In essence , he should be able to receive a lump sum payment for books NOW , that may have taken years to sell , if at all ?? ................BH

I don't know. Would this fall under flood insurance? They are two separate policies here.

Like I said , there Pal , ..Realtor , ....as long as the Insurance is adequate ??............. ;)

Effective immediately, I am initiating a 25% off FLOODHELP codeword sale. Putting this sale into effect genuinely pains me, as it will mean that even our very best comics will end up being sold a net 62% off, with almost everything else on our website ending up being available to you at 66%-85% off.

hm

Can some Math Major please explain this to me?

I think you are more in need of a Meth Major to understand that one.

*Water damage and extraction is a real pain the butt. I do sympathize with Chuck on that point. We have had it happen to a few cabins before and it is not a pretty site.

I dunno ? ...If you have adequate insurance , if it's anything like my real estate experience , it's like winning the lottery , if handled correctly . IE , In essence , he should be able to receive a lump sum payment for books NOW , that may have taken years to sell , if at all ?? ................BH

I don't know. Would this fall under flood insurance? They are two separate policies here.

Like I said , there Pal , ..Realtor , ....as long as the Insurance is adequate ??............. ;)

However , you are correct in that "flood ins." can have various caveats that the Ins. co.'s can be very careful in their language on the policies ......................BH

Well, water damage and fire/smoke are about the two worst things as far as comics are concerned.

Chuck's Thornton store does have (had?) a very cool set-up in regards to the display cases & hundreds of statues inside. There will be no great loss of amazing comics, however. Most everything in the store is (was) copper/modern drek that's worthless AND it was in bins that were elevated far above 18". Who knows what was really lost due to the water - maybe just a small part of the store took heavy damage being close to the water break, with the rest just filling up with water. He will take most of his losses in the display cases & bins than from the comics themselves.

The Thornton store contained hundreds of thousands of dollars of retail value in comics, trade paperbacks and hardbacks,
By "hundreds of thousands of dollars" is that your asking price or purchased price of all those quarter bin books.

Insurance will cover some of my loss, but it is almost a foregone conclusion that I'll eventually receive only a small percentage of the value of what was destroyed

Translation: No way any insurance company is going to pay out my inflated back issue prices.

The Thornton store contained hundreds of thousands of dollars of retail value in comics, trade paperbacks and hardbacks,
By "hundreds of thousands of dollars" is that your asking price or purchased price of all those quarter bin books.

Insurance will cover some of my loss, but it is almost a foregone conclusion that I'll eventually receive only a small percentage of the value of what was destroyed

Translation: No way any insurance company is going to pay out my inflated back issue.

(thumbs u

Yep...the insurance adjusters will have a good laugh should Chuck pull out the website prices...

Jim

It sounds like his insurance was at purchased price and not retail price.

It sounds like his insurance was at purchased price and not retail price.

Which means he should be getting a check for $73.62, yes? (shrug)

... it spewed water and mud to a depth of 18 inches throughout the store. Considering that our Thornton Megastore, at 11,000 square feet, is (or was...) the largest comics store in the country, the amount of water that must have been involved was just mind-numbing.

11,000 sq ft * 18 inches = 467,228 litres (or 123,429 US gallons)

For perspective, this is equivalent to:

• Running a garden sprinkler for 19.5 days
  • Taking 4,672 baths
  • Flushing the toilet 46,723 times

I am initiating a 25% off FLOODHELP codeword sale. Putting this sale into effect genuinely pains me, as it will mean that even our very best comics will end up being sold a net 62% off, with almost everything else on our website ending up being available to you at 66%-85% off.

50% discount + 25% discount = 62.5% discount, fine.

For the rest of the stock to now be at 66%-85% off it would have to already be at a discount of 52.8% to 68%... kinda odd discounts :grin:

Any more mathematical problems?

I am glad I am not the insurance adjuster for that, just imagen having to deal with Chuck YIKES!! It will be a headache to try and decide a valus on alot of that stuff.

Chuck will only get a small % of the books value back, but thats his value not true market value. Chucks prices are so outrageous that no insurance company would ever give him his price. He might also have a worst/harder fight then he thinks. I know of a few stores that had similar floods and the insurance company sued the city because it was technically their fault. I would put any money that Chucks insurance company won't pay him a cent until they collect from the city. That could take some time. Chuck is looking at a long time before he see's any money for his lose, too bad especially with the economy the way it is. Hope he had a good policy (full retail) but they are rare as most insurance companies only cover basic cost.

I dont buy from his store/site. But I do speak with him frequently at shows. He has always come off as a nice guy to me, and is pretty upset about what happened. I feel bad for the guy, regardless of his pricing. Now he has to try and pick up ALOT of slack because of shoddy pipe work. I would feel bad for anybody going through this... Well almost anybody.

Chuck IS a nice guy. Me and the wife (fiancee then) met him at the German Book Fair in 1993. Nicest guy you'd have the pleasure to meet. But the guy is also as cunning as they get in regards to his business and should be recognized as such when you do meet him...

Jim

Yup. He is genuinely nice as far as face to face conversation goes. I chatted with himi a bity in Detroit. Still sucks. I know how he feels. I got home from a vacation 3 years ago and the basement was flooded for almost 2 weeks while we were gone.

:sick: