• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are all labels for oversize CGC books this ugly?

101 posts in this topic

but isn't CGC just legitimizing the fact that it is a 'counterfeit'...

they put 'counterfeit' on the label 4 times for pete's sake

excuse me if i'm missing the point...

Like it or not, CGC slabs are a manufactured collectible. By certifying these they are giving legitmacy that these issues are somehow collectible when in fact they should be avoided...

Jim

OMG, Jim. How will people avoid them unless they are told they are counterfeit!

:frustrated:

Then CGC tells people they are counterfeit (through the label) and people tell them they shouldn't.

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is fake or not?

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is restored or not?

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is a first printing or not?

See my point? They are educating the buyer. That's all.

You say they are creating an artificial market.

Is it CGC's fault that some buyer buys a book that says "counterfeit" on it and thinks it's a gold mine?

lol

Jim. Think about it.

CGC is not legitimizing the book.

CGC is not creating a market for this book.

CGC is not creating a demand for fake books

CGC is doing what it is supposed to do.

Give the buyer confidence.

The buyers decide what they want to buy, not CGC.

Whether the fake is a "comic" or not is irrelevant. It looks like a comic, it smells like a comic, it feels like a comic....the fact that it was printed elsewhere does not prevent the book from being graded with a numerical grade and labelled as a fake.

They will grade any printed matter that looks like a comic or magazine. Why not this?

They are doing what people want them to do. Grade the book in front of them.

I disagree. By placing a counterfeit in a slab thay are giving credence to a fake that otherwise doesn't merit it. They could just as well send it back to the submitter and not slab it...

The confidence you mention is for buyer's to know that the certified comic is in fact authentic. I find it highly unlikely a slabbed counterfeit would make it to market without being broken out.

Jim

Sure, you may consider it "wacked", but the market for this book agrees with me.

What market? :insane:

I think you're confusing OS's warning to avoid with some type of market for these fakes...

Jim

Do you even collect Cerebus? If not, how would you know whether there's a market for this book or not? (shrug)

If there were indeed a true secondary market, outside of the curious, OS would annotate a price for these. They don't...and rightfully so for the same reasons that CGC shouldn't legitimize them...

Jim

What about GPA? By your reasoning, the Cerebus #1 counterfeit would not be listed on their site, nor would they have been any recorded sales.

All personal opinions aside, you are not a Cerebus collector, and as such whatever opinion you may have about the market for the #1 counterfeit is pretty much null & void due to your non-exposure to said market.

I mean, how on earth can you be qualified to make these statements when you're basing them on nothing but "how you think it should be"?

OMG, Jim. How will people avoid them unless they are told they are counterfeit!

They are unlikely to be sold in the holder unless broken out. The submitter knows they have a counterfeit by the mere act of submitting it. There's no reason sending it back to them with a note saying "fake" doesn't achieve the same result.

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is fake or not?

Absolutely...but they shouldn't put the comic in a slab...

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is restored or not?

Is it better for CGC to spill the beans that a book is a first printing or not?

Sure as these are authentic copies...

See my point? They are educating the buyer. That's all.

No, they are educating the submitter...

I really doubt we are going to agree on this point...

Jim

What about GPA? By your reasoning, the Cerebus #1 counterfeit would not be listed on their site, nor would they have been any recorded sales.

It's listed on their site because CGC has seen fit to grade some of these...

All personal opinions aside, you are not a Cerebus collector, and as such whatever opinion you may have about the market for the #1 counterfeit is pretty much null & void due to your non-exposure to said market.

I mean, how on earth can you be qualified to make these statements when you're basing them on nothing but "how you think it should be"?

I've been in this market for a long time and I've heard and seen nothing but distain for the Cerebus counterfeit...

Jim

I disagree. By placing a counterfeit in a slab thay are giving credence to a fake that otherwise doesn't merit it. They could just as well send it back to the submitter and not slab it...

The confidence you mention is for buyer's to know that the certified comic is in fact authentic. I find it highly unlikely a slabbed counterfeit would make it to market without being broken out.

Jim

Again...the broken out theory...the same can be said for any comic...restored, overgraded, undergraded, 2nd print etc..... CGC is not there to make sure books don't get broken out. This point has no place in this discussion IMO.

If they send it back the submitter makes the decision to sell it as an authentic copy.

If they slab it the submitter makes the decision to sell it as an authentic copy.

We are going to dis agree...because this book is an actual comic. It's just an un authorized reproduction of the original and they are letting people know.

Again, you can't blame CGC for someone cracking a book out.

R.

I disagree with both you guys.

Jim, sorry but there's no reason CGC should not slab this and annotate exactly what it is. It's a good thing.

Mschmidt - to say that a Cerebus collection is not complete without this fake book is :insane: It's junk......sought after as a novelty, sure. But still junk.

It's listed on their site because CGC has seen fit to grade some of these...

It's listed on their site because there's a market for it. Because that's what GPA does - "analyze collectibles pricing data and provide subscribers with up-to-the-minute pricing information".

I've been in this market for a long time and I've heard and seen nothing but distain for the Cerebus counterfeit...

Jim

Which is about as reliable as hear-say normally is - especially when you have GPA and ebay sales to prove otherwise.

Again...the broken out theory...the same can be said for any comic...restored, overgraded, undergraded, 2nd print etc..... CGC is not there to make sure books don't get broken out. This point has no place in this discussion IMO.

If they send it back the submitter makes the decision to sell it as an authentic copy.

If they slab it the submitter makes the decision to sell it as an authentic copy.

We are going to dis agree...because this book is an actual comic. It's just an un authorized reproduction of the original and they are letting people know.

Again, you can't blame CGC for someone cracking a book out.

No...but I think CGC should be treating this comic for what it is, recycleable trash, and not giving it the consideration an authentic comic deserves...

Jim

It's listed on their site because there's a market for it. Because that's what GPA does - "analyze collectibles pricing data and provide subscribers with up-to-the-minute pricing information".

Don't mistake someone trying to sell one of these as there being a market for it...

Which is about as reliable as hear-say normally is - especially when you have GPA and ebay sales to prove otherwise.

Doesn't prove anything other than some morbid curiousity...

Jim

Jim, what is a comic. Describe to me what constitutes a comic.

Don't be silly Roy...

It doesn't matter that it looks like a comic...it's the principle of what it is...

Jim

Jim, what is a comic. Describe to me what constitutes a comic.

Don't be silly Roy...

It doesn't matter that it looks like a comic...it's the principle of what it is...

Jim

Jim. It's a comic plain and simple. It's a fake comic, but it's still a comic. CGC gives their professional opinion on comics. That simple.

Whether someone wants to collect it or not is up to the individual.

Fake boobies get lots of love...even though they are not real. Some people won't go near them but that doesn't mean you can disregard the people that do love them. Just don't lie to me and tell me they're real if they're not.

lol

Seriously, this is a comic through and through. And the fact that it is an un-authorized one just makes it that much more collectible to the underground collector...CGC or not. It's an UNDERGROUND copy of an underground comic.

Some people like dark, deathly and taboo things...not me but I can understand their mentality.

That's because people collect comics for the way the affect them and their culture.

As morbid as it sounds, I'd like a counterfeit. I can understand why someone would collect it.

OSPG is not the be all and end all. Other sources will confirm that there is a market for it. There probably was before the first one was CGC'd.

2c

Fake boobies get lots of love...even though they are not real. Some people won't go near them but that doesn't mean you can disregard the people that do love them. Just don't lie to me and tell me they're real if they're not.

Breast Enhancement certification.... hm ...Roy you could be on to something there... :grin:

Jim

Breast Enhancement certification.... hm ...Roy you could be on to something there... :grin:

Jim

:cloud9:

SHOTGUN for pregrader!!