• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are all labels for oversize CGC books this ugly?

101 posts in this topic

agreed!

i don't understand why the label size is smaller. the font size of the actual grade should at LEAST be the same size...that 6.0 looks wierd.

Look at the label again.

The magazine label is wider, but shorter. The font compensates for this.

agreed!

i don't understand why the label size is smaller. the font size of the actual grade should at LEAST be the same size...that 6.0 looks wierd.

Look at the label again.

No - that's actually the complete opposite of what's happening here. If you wanted to compensate for the fact that you're dealing with a larger slab, you'd actually make the label (and text) larger as well - so the size of the label would be proportionate with the size of the slab. This, however, would mean that you'd need a taller "label-area" as well.

But as the "label-area" is the same height for both a normal & a magazine slab, the logical compromise would be to keep the height of the label the same, the size of the text the same, and simply leave the main text & barcode centered in the middle.

Which is what I assumed they'd do :)

Got this one back as well - hadn't even noticed that it was signed by Frazetta on the inside doh\!

I wonder if Sim did that. I know he wouldn't sign his own name on a counterfeit edition.

Do you think they are referencing that the signature is also counterfeit?

They may be. They're certainly not authenticating it. If Sim agrees to sign a counterfeit at all, it's always someone else's name.

Rumor has it that if Sim is given a counterfeit copy of Cerebus 1 for any reason, he rips it up.

Then again there are also rumors (unsubstantiated, of course) that Sim printed the counterfeits himself for publicity/notoriety.

Well, I'm a graphic designer by trade, and we're kinda obsessive about how things look - so, yeah, it does bother me quite a bit that the labels aren't the same. Especially because there's no reason why they shouldn't be identical.

It's no different than wanting to have all your books protected by the same type of bags & boards (like Bill Cole products only) - or not wanting to mix & match TPB editions of a series (like Sandman) because you want them to share a unified look.

If it helps any I understood what you were saying. (thumbs u

Got this one back as well - hadn't even noticed that it was signed by Frazetta on the inside doh\!

I wonder if Sim did that. I know he wouldn't sign his own name on a counterfeit edition.

Do you think they are referencing that the signature is also counterfeit?

They may be. They're certainly not authenticating it. If Sim agrees to sign a counterfeit at all, it's always someone else's name.

Rumor has it that if Sim is given a counterfeit copy of Cerebus 1 for any reason, he rips it up.

Then again there are also rumors (unsubstantiated, of course) that Sim printed the counterfeits himself for publicity/notoriety.

Classis !

Rumor 1 I'd say was solid while he was going through his breakup. lol

Rumor 2, nah, the guy was the real deal form start to finish!

agreed!

Look at the label again.

No - that's actually the complete opposite of what's happening here. If you wanted to compensate for the fact that you're dealing with a larger slab, you'd actually make the label (and text) larger as well - so the size of the label would be proportionate with the size of the slab. This, however, would mean that you'd need a taller "label-area" as well.

But as the "label-area" is the same height for both a normal & a magazine slab, the logical compromise would be to keep the height of the label the same, the size of the text the same, and simply leave the main text & barcode centered in the middle.

Which is what I assumed they'd do :)

I think I would be happy they graded this comic in the first place... :baiting:

By placing it in a slab, CGC is giving legitimacy to a fraudulent item...

Jim

hm why didnt that 6.0 get a green label?

Writing on the inside doesn't get a green label ...

...because it is allowed within that grade as far as CGC is concerned.

I totally glanced over that fact, and yes....even if they label it as counterfeit...I think they shouldn't encapsulate phony books.

That ridiculous..they are assigning a grade giving and notifying everyone about a fraudluant item...would you rather it gets sold raw as the real deal?

The label for a magazine slab is 2/3 the height of a regular slab...but don't let reality get in the way.

Which is my point exactly, sterling - the "label-area" (the top of the slab, where the label sits) is the exact same height for both types of slabs. So why would the magazine label be shorter? From a visual design point of view that makes no sense.

I totally glanced over that fact, and yes....even if they label it as counterfeit...I think they shouldn't encapsulate phony books.

The first book I posted was genuine (thumbs u

Is it just me or is that book floating inside the inner well?

Comics come in different sizes. CGC has only so many sized wells. They atke the best fitting well and then use the little edge holders to keep the book centered in the well. It's likely that the edge holders are just not showing up in the photo. Idon't think CGC would ever purposefully allow a book to float around like that.

R.

That ridiculous..they are assigning a grade giving and notifying everyone about a fraudluant item...would you rather it gets sold raw as the real deal?

It's always buyer beware...and it's not like someone can't just take it out of the slab and do exactly that anyway. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I personally don't think CGC should "certify" comics that are not authentic. I'm entitled to my reasoning...as are you. But if you want me to start calling your ideas ridiculous, I can do that too.

It's always buyer beware...and it's not like someone can't just take it out of the slab and do exactly that anyway. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I personally don't think CGC should "certify" comics that are not authentic. I'm entitled to my reasoning...as are you. But if you want me to start calling your ideas ridiculous, I can do that too.

So you think it is better if they don't certify it as a fraud? Wasn't that the whole point of CGC? To take most of the guess work out of buying comics?

Don't mean to sound terse, but most people can't spend half their lives on this chat board researching comics...they simply want to make a simple and safe transaction. No muss and no fuss. When they are in the market for a book that maybe a counterfeit CGC is doing just that....informing the buyer.

There is more to a CGC label than just the grade...there's PQ, resto check, authenticity check...etc.

You can argue that the resto check is no different than an authenticity check...you want to make sure you are getting what you pay for.

Kudos to CGC for nailing thoe counerfeit books.

I don't think you're ridiculous...just the idea that CGC should not notify the public of fakes.

R.

EDIT: we're not talking about a deslabbed comic...we are talking about a book that has been CGC'd.

I'm not even going there on your points---of course folks want an easy transaction, etc. Just don't think that a scammer is going CGC'd it and sell it as a documented fake. At best all this does for a buyer of a raw book is know that they have been royally screwed after buying a "legit" copy after the fact. Hope sells, and scammers know it.

That is the point, after all, of selling a counterfeit...to do so to increase profits on the unknowing. If someone was going to fraud someone, I doubt that they would run out and get the counterfeit label. If I was a buyer, I would demand certification to know it isn't a fake. If CGC wouldn't certifiy it because it was counterfeit then I still have the information I need--and to avoid the book. If it was slabbed (which is what you'd like to do), do you think that person would keep that information intact (or in a slab)? I'm betting no. CGC can't control what individuals do with their product/service.

So, I'm not saying CGC should not notify the public of fakes by certifying counterfeit books, but you assume that everyone is moral and ethical and would pass along information. I'm saying it wouldn't happen as a rule, so why have CGC slab them? At least my situations have reasoning behind people's behavior...you're just hoping that someone is going to "suck it up" and sell the slab as is. I can guarantee you that the driving force behind selling counterfeit books is more driven by criminal behavior than moral/ethical behavior...or to cover one financially to prevent a loss.

So, in my mind...slabbing a counterfeit is a noble gesture and definitely one that empowers the buyer...but scammers will work around that system which makes for the fact that the buyer either must insist on certification and/or have their ducks in a row. All I'm saying is that certified or not, the buyer will have their information regarding its authenticity...and don't assume that someone is going to keep ole copy cat in their cage. If you venture out in the raw wild then expect to get bitten.

Do understand that I understand your points, but I hope this explains why encapsulating counterfeits, while is a good service...will be used in a way to benefit someone as opposed to keeping transactions safe. I can even imagine folks out there SEEKING these CGC counterfeit copies, cracking the slabs, and selling them to the "hopers".

So, I'm 100% with you on the service...but I was thinking of all of the negative ways this could be used to serve a scammer...and feel that the intended purpose of the service would fall short in actual implementation.

Sterling. This still has not answered why CGC should not slab a counterfeit comic.

Some fakes are sold by scammers and some are sold by honest people who don't kow they are fakes. In either case the buyer wins if he buys a slabbed comic. Fakes are similar to 2nd prints in that they are sometimes difficult to spot for the novice. That's what the novice pays for when he buys a slabbed book. A non-novice opinion.

We are not talking about whether raw buyers are safe or not. We are talking about whether CGC should slab fakes so the buyer of a slabbed comic can make an informed decision. Of course they should...that's what CGC are here for. Not just to put a number on a piece of plastic.

R.