• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rising Prices of Grails and its Effect on Lower Grade Books

4 posts in this topic

With books like the AF 15 in 7.0 selling for $32k, it makes sense to say that the mid and high grade values of this title are selling for much higher than predicted prices. What can we then assume about the lower grade books?

Because the price is rising on the middle and upper ends of the spectrum, the demand will increase due to desire to acquire said grail before the low grade collector is "priced out." Here's the question: Will this rise in demand cause individuals holding lower grade copies to begin unloading their books into the market in hopes of capitalizing on this price surge OR will they continue holding onto their lower grade books with the intent of watching the value continue to rise (or these are their "reader copies")? If the market floods with these lower grade copies, do you think this will cause the value of these grail books to drop? Obviously, this bears in mind that there is still a finite number of these grail books?

I've got a few polls, but more importantly, I'm curious about what you think so all thoughts and comments welcome!

And please feel free to use other examples than the AF 15 I've cited. And feel free to use this as a means to debate what constitutes a grail book, etc.

Part of why I decided to throw this up was the drop in value for some of the major titles (i.e. ASM) in this year's OS, and yet, most shows and shops I've been to always say how well they sell (even if it is at a discount). So... does this apply towards the grails?

But my vote went towards the price not dropping significantly even if there is a rise in the supply.

If the market floods with these lower grade copies, do you think this will cause the value of these grail books to drop?

No. :(

Jon is right.