• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best bargain

31 posts in this topic

I swear they didn't tell me how old they were tongue.gif

Donut, why you gotta rat out my side business, g.... I had a little sumptin, sumptin on the side for your cut of it... wink.gif

If the hos were working it in Centreville then the pimps were probably out of work dot.commers (e-holes tongue.gif ) living in Reston, rignt by our favorite Donut boy. doh!

One of my better buys was getting a run of Mad #1-20 (all in vg range) at a garage sale for $1 each about 6 years ago.

Another EC deal was a guy who came into the store and had a near complete run of horror/sci-fi titles (including Vault #12, War against Crime #10, the Annuals, etc) and sold them to me for a very fair price. he then brings in another box of coverless/incomplete comics (they were his older brothers, and he read the EC's) and gives them to me. After digging through them I found a front/back cover for an All-Star #8, and coverless/complete copies of Superman #3, Flash #2, Adventure #47, and Detective #36. That was kinda cool.

Lots of other mini-garage sale finds, but the Mad one is always the one that sticks out in my memory.

I bought a copy of Giant-Size X-men #1 from a struggling store in Florida for $75 about 4 years ago. When I sent it to CGC last year it came back a 9.6. On the flipside I traded a NM copy of Hulk 181 for a copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 that I later found out had the "second printing" carefully erased from the bottom of the front cover. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I have been buying books for so long, I can't remember a whole lot of pre-cgc deals except the ones I got screwed on. Like the Hulk 1 I bought in 1994 as a vf for $1500 and when I had it cgcd to sell it came back as a 5.5 with mod. restoration - trimmed, colored, reglossed - pooped on!!! Just kidding on the last part - but it may as well. So I will relate some good cgc buys. Got a 9.2 FF 25 for about $500 from greggy. An 8.0 X-men 1 from Heritage for about $3200. An Avengers 1 9.0 for about $3000. A tales of Suspense 39 8.5 for about $3000. Spidey 14 9.0 for $1500. Hulk 1 7.0 for $2500. Giant X-men 1 9.2 for around $700. Spidey 6 9.2 for about $2100. FF 55 9.4 for about $400. A Hulk 102 9.4 and FF 48 9.2 in one deal for a little over $1000. Surfer 6 9.6 for about $450. These are not the kind of deals where you bought the book for $1 because the seller did not know what he had or anything - but still great deals given the Overstreet prices, condition of the books, relative scarcity and demand. I have also bought some books that I later thought I over paid on - and it is usually from dealers like Highgrade, Metropolis and ComicLink. My best advice is remain patient when collecting - books seem to pop up all the time on ebay and remember everything is negotiable! I have stopped buying books from anyone who will not negotiate price - it is not like buying gas or groceries!

My best buy was at the San Diego Con back in '88 for a handful of Silver JLAs (what did you think I was gonna say...Thors? wink.gif ) from a dealer having a bad show $$-wise. Anyway, here's the list & what they've graded out as (for value sake):

#5- 9.0

#7- 7.5

#8- 9.6

#9- 9.2

#10 9.0

#11 9.6

Not too shabby, though #7's grade escapes me. 4 of the six have the highest grade in the Census (so far). Oh yeah, and the cost for these babies, $236 laugh.gif

Rick

Wow - 9.6 early silver DC! That is some rare stuff! And on some good books - I dont buy much DC but I have a pretty good run of JLA and they are hard to come buy above vf it seems - either that or people just are not selling. Buying books raw is definitely the way to do it - if you have the time to look around and if you have a good eye.

Yea, 9.6's are nice, but it's sort of a double-edged sword: I don't want to fill my collection holes with lower quality (7.0-8.0) issues, yet that seems to be the only offerings that I can find! Oh well, these kinds of problems I don't mind! smile.gif

Forum member #1, "Did Rick actually complain about his 9.6s?"

Forum member #2, "Yep, what a butt-munch. Let's ruin one of his threads."

Forum member #3, "How about we ridicule him in vague, non-descriptive terms using double entendres and thinly veiled sexual innuendo?"

Forum member #4, "I know, let's just ignore him completely!"

Rick, "NOOOOooooooo...."

I have had some tremendous luck at garage sales and eBay. A few of my good tales are :

I picked up a Zap Comix #1- 4, 8 ( as well as many other Crumb undergrounds) and 1940's /50's Batman's from woman selling her recently deceased husband's belongings. She actually remembered when her husband got the Zap Comix #1 when they were living in San Francisco. It was not until about 10 years ago that I was able to verify that they were first printings ( I found it difficult with all the printings that were out there) and they were all in vf or better ( he kept them between notebooks.) Unfortunately , The Batman's were in only good condition but I got the whole lot for 25 cent each issue. This year on eBay, I picked up a lot that was worth about $2000 for $250. It consisted of DC comics mostly from 1960's . The seller stated he was not a comic dealer and was not sure how to grade but they were kept in a file cabinet. It was listed at near mint for most issues so I figured maybe I would get vg/f issues. To my surprise, almost all of them were 9.0's or higher, even a few 9.6's ( the nicest Batman 380's and 400 I have ever seen.) Only two of them were in vg/f ( Lois Lane's 86 and 87.) I took a chance and happened to get very lucky.

Howdy all! My best garage sale find was actually a non comic item. I found 3 original Charles Schulz drawings in color from the 60s. They were birthday presents to the lady who was selling them. She knew they were worth money, sold them to be for $100 each.

I sold one for $1400 at a show later that month...and that was the worst one of the lot! The other two were appraised at $3000 to $5000 each!

The other awesome thing I found was a Science Fiction Fanzine #1...which led to all of comic books and science fiction. It is signed by Jerome Seigel, inthe 3rd issue of this lot the first ever superman story was published. I got it for $5. Dealers have no idea what it is worth, but all they know is that it is very rare and worth a lot. Heritage has issues 2-5 in their auction, and estimated at $10,000. Tons o fun! :-)

Ankur

"SPECULATORS SUCK! CRACK THOSE CGC CASES AND READ YOUR COMICS! :-)"

Or you could sell those pricey CGC books and use the money to buy low grades if you really want to read comics, but that's just me.

Or you could sell those pricey CGC books and use the money to buy low grades if you really want to read comics, but that's just me.

I think you might have missed the point...