• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best bargain

31 posts in this topic

What's the best bargain you ever got in a comic deal (other than buying off the newsstand)? Did anyone find a Detective 27 at a garage sale, or buy a 'Sider'-Man 14 for $100 on ebay because it was misspelled? What's your biggest 'steal'?

Hi Joanna,

Probably my biggest bargain was finding a Good+ copy of Adventure 300 in the $1 box at the Great Escape in Nashville (gulp!) 20 years ago. I've been mentally patting myself on the back ever since, and now am almost reluctant to open the book up again for fear of finding a missing ad page, or other "qualifier" I missed when I first bought it! wink.gif

Cheers,

Z.

Don't know if this counts, but in early 90's I took a bunch of the "Hot Books" at the time to a convention and traded them for a rack of 70's ASM's. Some of the books I got rid of (all bought for cover price or less) were:

Hulk #377

Marvel Comics Presents #72

New Mutants #100

I had multiples of all of them (still have some) and got about 15-20 Spidey's for 'em.

Chris

1) Tales of Suspense 39 in Good for 25 cents at a garage sale about 2 years ago.

2) Amazing Spider-Man 50, 51, 98, 121 and 122 (and a bunch of others) for 50 cents each at the bottom of a box.

3) $2000 for a giant lot of 10000 comics, figuring that for 20 cents each I couldn't go wrong. Opening one box to find a run of Detectives from 110-300. Opening another box to find a run of Batman from 50-250. All the other boxes had 80s garbage in them.

Ah, but they pale to the BAD buy I made!

Another MEGA lot, 5000 books for 1K. Guy sent me a list with the books. X-Men 4-80 were included. I figure those pay for it.

Turns out they were X- Force 4-80. WOuld have cost me $400 to return them, so I just ate it. Eventually I made my grand back, but it took a while.

Tough question. I've bought most of my nice books in the early to mid 1980's in NM at guide then. But in the last few years the ones that come to mind: An X-Men #4 for $100 (VG), came back slabbed an 8.5 VF+, a batch of Miller DD's (#'s 150 - 181) for $75, the 8 or so I slabbed came back 9.4 to 9.6. A Hulk #141 (F-) for $17 that came back a slabbed 9.0, Too many others to describe here.

Real deals on silvers slabbed below 9.2 these days. Some I've recently bought (keys too!) for as little as $15.50! laugh.gif

I bought a run of ASM #152 to #276 from a cash strapped guy for about $200 back around 1995 (all between 9.2 and 9.6). Best of all, #155-158 were the rare 30 cent variants (among the best CGC has slabbed to date - 3 9.4s and 1 9.2, all of which I had graded during the super-strict grading period and are possible resubmission candidates). I think the 9.6s CGC bestowed on the #238, 239 and 252 alone more than paid for the whole collection.

I also pulled 4 ASM #299s out of a $1 box at a show this spring...one of them just came back with a 9.8 grade from CGC. Made 10x my money (including slabbing costs) in 6 months. I'll take that any day of the week!

Gene

The best deal I have had that didn't involve a huge collection happened a couple years back...

A guy came in with a shoebox full of about 60 comics telling me they were the only books that survived his flood. The box included a Hulk 181 in about Good, and the guy knew what it was worth. So I bought the box, and paid a fair price. I'm looking through the rest of the box, finding a few $5-10 books mixed into the stack. He comes back in from his car and hands me ten more comics that he says didn't fit in the box and that I can have them for free. The second book in the stack was a Brave and Bold 34 in about VG. I start to say something and he says, "Yeah, I know what it is. You were straight with me on the other stuff. It's yours."

I'm still trying to figure out the guy's logic... but I didn't stop smiling for a week...

... bevy of goth chick dominatrices ...

isn't that what they have now in Centreville Darth?

Seriously, boys - story in the Washington Post about a teen prostitution ring at Centreville High School, right near Darth's house. Where were these girls when I was in high school?