• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theft

60 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I just got off the phone with my friend Peter from Paradise Comics. It seems that he had 17 long boxes stolen from the back of his truck on Wednesday night. He was preparing to go to New York for the convention this weekend.

There were about 4000 Silver and Bronze age books (nothing more than $30) taken. I was hoping that if you heard anything in your dealings or saw something suspicious to let Pete know at (416) 487-9807. Or post it here so we can have a look. Luckily he did not put in the expensive stuff.

I know how all of you like to be amateur dectectives, so here is your chance. Thanks a lot folks.

BOB

that's one thing that always blew my mind, confused.gif remember when the spidey movie came out and a comic book ssore in NY got broken into and had some key books stolen. or when im at a convention and there's some being hauled away by security of police officers for stealing comic books. mad.gif i've seen this happen atleast 3 times since i've been going to conventions. mad.gif some people? i just don't know what they are thinking sometimes......pyle! what's your major malfunction! blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Some insur. co's may fight him tooth & nail as to the declared value of the loss. Unless he has a detailed master list that he was planning to show the brokerage house to get his bks across the border, it will be hard for him to prove runs of certain titles were part of the haul. My buddy had his garage broken into. Lost many long boxes of comics. Claimed he lost AF #15 but insur. co. didn't want to cover the loss of $30k worth of bks. Even if he had a laser copy of the AF #15, how does he prove it was in the long boxes that were stolen? Comics was his p/t business, not full-time.

Inside job?

Someone who knew the books were there? It would take time and a large vehicle to haul off the 17 boxes.

Or was the van simply the target of an opportunist?

Too much of a coincidence. INSIDE job for sure, someone recruited to help with the moving, or a neighbor who witnessed the loading/customer who knew the schedule and modus operandi of show preparations.

It would take time/effort to load up 17 long boxes. The last time I moved, I took 8 long boxes per load in our 4-Runner. The SUV was loaded to the brim.

I doubt someone stumbled across the van, saw the boxes, had some insight into their value, returned with a large vehicle, loaded them, and left.