• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm going to the Tampa show this weekend...

10 posts in this topic

Yes, it has arrived. Every six months or so, we, the comic collecting denizens of central Florida, get treated to a wonderful event...the Tampa Comic convention. In a small room, about 30 or so dealers set up to sell off books that they can't otherwise move through their own stores or eBay.

Truly high grade material is scarce, at least if you are looking for anything pre-1980. Greg White is off in the corner, planning the next phase of his anti-CGC crusade, all the while marking his mid-grade keys with asking prices that far outstrip what their certified equivalents are selling for. Some 'Crazy" seller from Miami (Crazy Ed methinks) is wheeling and dealing, trying to sell the virtues of that F+ Hulk 180 to a potential customer. To their credit, they are the big fish in this wading pool.

Other highlights of the show include the 16 year old girls who dress up in their anime outfits, invoking self incriminating thoughts best left unshared. Then again, some of the 40 year old women come scantily clad as well, making you realize that some cleavage just wasn't meant to be seen.

So, I will search the bins, hoping to score some VF/NM minor 70s key for pennies on the dollar, or looking for reading material that won't occupy too much room in my closet, all the while bemoaning the fact that decent high grade dealers never make it this far south with their wares. And in March, MegaCon will come to Orlando, and so will the realization that all the same dealers, with all the same crappy books will be there as well. Personally, I think even one of the major dealers would score a solid weekend of sales if they paid MegaCon a visit, as there was only one halfway decent high grade dealer there last year. I spoke wilth several collectors that went home with nearly the same wad of cash and unused credit cards that they came to the show with (I know I did.)

Oh well, its been three years since I've been to San Diego. Perhaps its time to go back in 2004.

tongue.gif

Tampa show is a fun small convention run by friend Tim Gordon. About 80 tables in a spacious hotel banquet room. Great place to bring the kids to introduce them to comics (family oriented show) If you are in the area its worth checking out. link to their webpage is http://www.comicbookconventions.com/tampaconvention/index.htm

For you lazybirds its November 9th (this coming Sunday ) from 10am till 5pm and is at the Doubletree right across from Tampa Stadium located at 4500 West Cypress St.

You will find mostly comics with some dealers selling toys/cards/dvds/etc. Great place to fill in your runs and pick up cheap reading material. As for high grade I used to bring a lot of slabbed and raw high grade books but the tight wads in Tampa think its a flea market so no more of that.

Some of the dealers include Crazy Ed (silver age) Greg White (gold and silver) Paul Dyroff/Tim Gordon (gold/silver and current stuff) and a host of local shop owners and collectors selling off their silver age and newer books

Its only $3 dont be lame come and check it out and support local cons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tampa show is a fun small convention run by friend Tim Gordon. About 80 tables in a spacious hotel banquet room. Great place to bring the kids to introduce them to comics (family oriented show) If you are in the area its worth checking out.

I detect an optimistic spin here. smirk.gif

Sorry you didnt find NM books there for 1/2 guide

I didn't find NM books for double Guide either.

And for the record, I would agree with you that its a decent place for reading material and bargain hunting. But not if you are a high grade collector looking for really nice stuff. Of course, I may be proven wrong this weekend, but I am not holding my breath.

tongue.gif