• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Am I Missing?!?

16 posts in this topic

I've been collecting comics for almost 30 years now, and I thought I had a pretty good handle on grading. (The 9.4 vs 9.6 seems a bit extreme to me, but I have a good grasp of VG vs FN vs VF, etc.)

That said, this book is listed as a VG/FN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=2200094972

Other than a few tiny spine creases and an almost invisible chip, it appears almost flawless. From the scan, it appears to me to be at least FN/VF. So what gives? Should I presume there are hidden flaws or has grading gotten much stricter in this grade range? confused.gif

I've been collecting comics for almost 30 years now, and I thought I had a pretty good handle on grading. (The 9.4 vs 9.6 seems a bit extreme to me, but I have a good grasp of VG vs FN vs VF, etc.)

That said, this book is listed as a VG/FN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=2200094972

Other than a few tiny spine creases and an almost invisible chip, it appears almost flawless. From the scan, it appears to me to be at least FN/VF. So what gives? Should I presume there are hidden flaws or has grading gotten much stricter in this grade range? confused.gif

Beyond anything else that people may feel the need to say, there looks to be a very long crease LRC and the LLC looks like it's had an impact bump (or something.) You're right though, in the scan at least, it looks very nice. Other than that, I'm not saying nothing smile.gif

Comic-Keys manipulates his scans. It's quite obvious.

must... not... make... joke.... can't... stop... myself... softball toss... too easy....

shocked.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

... can't stop ...

Scans aren't all he manipulates!

must... not... make... joke.... can't... stop... myself... softball toss... too easy....

shocked.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

... can't stop ...

Scans aren't all he manipulates!

893whatthe.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Clearly the members here are familiar with this seller, so that's good enough for me. It is surprising however that he only has 2 negative feedbacks if the allegations are true.

I can see how a seller could adjust the color curves to make a book look whiter & brighter, and then claim it was "just the scan" if there are complaints. However, it's not so easy to explain away manipulations like using a different book or airbrushing out flaws. confused-smiley-013.gif

Even if I hadn't been hanging around here for a while, I'd still say that there is something off about that scan.... colors don't seem quite right.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

It teminds me of frozen calamari. Niow fresh calamari when cleaned and skinned shows a nice white color, while the frozen tends to a pale yellow. The fresh is a gastronimcal delight while the frozen tends to be rubbery and not very fresh tasting.

Even if I hadn't been hanging around here for a while, I'd still say that there is something off about that scan.... colors don't seem quite right.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

It teminds me of frozen calamari. Niow fresh calamari when cleaned and skinned shows a nice white color, while the frozen tends to a pale yellow. The fresh is a gastronimcal delight while the frozen tends to be rubbery and not very fresh tasting.

Speaking of rubbery and not very fresh...