• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question: Determining grades in the 9s

9 posts in this topic

Hope this is the right place to ask this question...

Just curious....are there any rules of thumb when grading in the high 9s? ie differentiating between 9.6s and 9.8s for new books?

I've had really good luck with my modern subs so far...and have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times (books that i thought would be a 9.6 scoring a 9.8). I guess the real question is:

What are you looking for when you score a new book off of the shelf and know you'll sub it? obivously you look for clean corners and no stress marks on the spine...but anything else? what type of damage will CGC see and automatically give it a 9.6? Same question about differentiating in the lower 9s (difference between a 9.2 and a 9.4???).

I'll stop rambling now....my questioin has been asked somewhere in the above paragraphs :D

thanks in advance

Great question PhiGam......i've wondered that question myself. Another question is that I've heard when CGC grades an older comic (ex:1968), it is "allowed" certain flaws because of how old it is, compared to a newer comic. The harshness in grading is not as strong. I dont know if thats actually true though.

TJ

The Overstreet Guide to Comic Grading is a good guide to what sets these apart. It's the total number of defects and their severity that are allowed for each grade that will ultimately determine the final grade. It's easier to understand if you have multiple examples to examine - in the book you'll appreciate the differences.

The higher grades are much more dificult to determine via pictures so it's unlikely you will see many grades above 9.2 or 9.4 on this forum.

Great question PhiGam......i've wondered that question myself. Another question is that I've heard when CGC grades an older comic (ex:1968), it is "allowed" certain flaws because of how old it is, compared to a newer comic. The harshness in grading is not as strong. I dont know if thats actually true though.

TJ

The difference in grading between the ages is primarily a factor of the differences in quality of production and materials - it has nothing to do with how intrinsically "old" it is. "Harshness" (to use your term) is equal; flaws are flaws in any age. An example of an "allowed" flaw: edge cuts on Marvel SA books can be quite rough or jagged. This was due to the production quality at the time the book was manufactured and would be a non-issue with respect to grade, as all books of that era would share a similar quality. Capiche? :)

The Overstreet Guide to Comic Grading is a good guide to what sets these apart. It's the total number of defects and their severity that are allowed for each grade that will ultimately determine the final grade. It's easier to understand if you have multiple examples to examine - in the book you'll appreciate the differences.

2nd Edition. :sumo:

The higher grades are much more dificult to determine via pictures so it's unlikely you will see many grades above 9.2 or 9.4 on this forum.

Except for the books I post . . . :baiting:

(:

Except for the books I post . . . :baiting:

(:

Divad, of course you're excluded from that comment. :acclaim: