• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warehouse finds like this scare me

97 posts in this topic

So, those who can't afford uber-books want warehouse finds to drive the price down to their own personal affordable level.

hm

What an informative thread this is... meh

Absolutely 100% correct. (thumbs u

Now, tell me what is wrong with wanting that?

So, those who can't afford uber-books want warehouse finds to drive the price down to their own personal affordable level.

hm

:cloud9:

I'm just not getting why this would be a bad thing? (shrug)

It's a "bad thing" for the person who paid top dollar to supposedly have one of the few best copies left on the planet. Imagine paying $32,000 for that ASM #50 CGC 9.8 thinking it was the only one around, and then another 50 CGC 9.8's of that issue show up due to a "find". For the person that spent the $32,000, such a find is a very bad thing.

To do this, you are either fairly ignorant of the market...in which case I wouldn't recommend that you casually drop $32,000.

Or you are very well-informed and have taken a huge punt on future events.

Either way, you have taken a risk and it's your own fault if it all goes south. (thumbs u

hm

Absolutely 100% nothing wrong with that..as long as you can take it as well as you dish it out?

Either of you have something of $$ value so the rest of us can hope it goes down to next to nothing? Then we can all have it?

Starting to get the picture here?

Rick

hm

Absolutely 100% nothing wrong with that..as long as you can take it as well as you dish it out?

Either of you have something of $$ value so the rest of us can hope it goes down to next to nothing? Then we can all have it?

Starting to get the picture here?

Rick

I'm no BSD, that's for sure, but maybe $80,000 in Silver Age? 9.0s through 9.6s?

And if it tanks because there's suddenly loads of it available, but I get to pick up all of that stuff that I want as a consequence...that works perfectly for me. :banana:

Seems to me that it wasn't that many years ago that somebody found a warehouse find of Green Lama 7 (the Christmas cover) and there were a BUNCH of really nice copies circulating for a while. Sure enough, the price tanked a bit on that issue, to the point where I could afford a copy. But you know what? The market has an insatiable hunger nowadays for high grade books, and it wasn't all that long before they were all sucked into collections and you don't see the nice copies that often any more, and the price is going up every year.

What scares me is how many raw collections may have been done in during the Iowa flooding, plus whatever may have been lost in retail operations. Cards, comics, pulps, first editions, vintage paperbacks, original art, all destroyed. When a quarter to a third of a state is flooded a LOT of stuff is gone forever

Honestly, if someone found a box that had 100 Action #1's, 100 Tec #27's, and 100 MC #1's.....would it affect the value much?

Whats the consensus, that there are a hundred or so copies of each floating around.....so if there were 200-500 copies of each floating around, I would think there would still be more than enough demand, and not enough supply.

It may affect the value a little, I guess, but I do not think it would cut the value in half or something like that.

(shrug)

I thought of that too.

But what about the flip side of that coin:

How many people who got completely annihilated no longer give a "rat's chew" about their hobby items?

Supply may have went down; but so, too, did demand/desire. Yes?

Rick

How many people who got completely annihilated no longer give a "rat's chew" about their hobby items?

That's a good point, and I knew a doctor in Toronto who got his comic book collection stolen, received the insurance money but didn't buy a single comic after that.

Something like that can sour you forever on a hobby.

You know what is scary ? How many Incredible Hulk # 181's, ASM #129, and Giant Size X-men exist above 9.2. I knew of a solid case of Hulk # 181's( before CGC).

These are essentially warehouse books.

In the case of ASM #129 and GS X-Men #1, they aren't "essentially" warehouse books...it's a fact...

Jim

Most likely if a warehouse find of note was found, a savvy dealer or collector would release the issues slowly without noting the number of copies available.

I heard a story from a noted dealer in San Diego years ago about a collector who had about 60 nice copies of Brave and The Bold #28. Remember, it was a highly anticipated issue well advertised back them. If a collector really had that many copies do you think he might spread them out in a photo or discreetly sell them one at a time?

I have heard other dealers say they know of amazing original owner collections out there. Bottom line is this; knowing what the potential value is of these collections, no one is likely to bring anything to market in a way to devalue itself.

Most likely if a warehouse find of note was found, a savvy dealer or collector would release the issues slowly without noting the number of copies available.

I heard a story from a noted dealer in San Diego years ago about a collector who had about 60 nice copies of Brave and The Bold #28. Remember, it was a highly anticipated issue well advertised back them. If a collector really had that many copies do you think he might spread them out in a photo or discreetly sell them one at a time?

Does anyone agree with me, think that doing that would be extremely unethical?

How so?

no

That's a good point, and I knew a doctor in Toronto who got his comic book collection stolen, received the insurance money but didn't buy a single comic after that.

I'd probably use such an event as a good jumping off point too - they gotta go before I die, and getting rid of this horse-collar would be liberating :cloud9:

I'd probably use such an event as a good jumping off point too - they gotta go before I die, and getting rid of this horse-collar would be liberating :cloud9:

Maybe you could give them to your favorite Uncle Andy? hm