• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Pearson Commission?

18 posts in this topic

Anyone out there waiting for his/her Pearson commission?

Last email I received (for my 2005 commission) from Jason Pearson was dated January 2008 with the following message:

"There are four sketches before you. It's coming soon."

Does anyone have a more current update?

-Hart

Jim is not involved with this deal, since I paid Jason directly $100 at SDCC 2005 for the Con Sketch.

As for the refund...I asked for one back in November 2007....here's what I got as a response:

"There is no refund. The pencils to yours and a lot of others are finished. I will make a personal effort to get yours out to you, despite my deadlines. If you are dissatified with that, then I suggest you can ebay your piece as soon as you get it. "

Now this is just plain ridiculous....to be waiting this long and get the above message when one asks for a refund!!!

I used to enjoy his work, but every time I see a new cover or one-shot issue that he does....it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Fans should not be treated this way. I would have been happy with a refund and just parted ways.

-Hart

Jim is not involved with this deal, since I paid Jason directly $100 at SDCC 2005 for the Con Sketch.

As for the refund...I asked for one back in November 2007....here's what I got as a response:

"There is no refund. The pencils to yours and a lot of others are finished. I will make a personal effort to get yours out to you, despite my deadlines. If you are dissatified with that, then I suggest you can ebay your piece as soon as you get it. "

Now this is just plain ridiculous....to be waiting this long and get the above message when one asks for a refund!!!

I used to enjoy his work, but every time I see a new cover or one-shot issue that he does....it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Fans should not be treated this way. I would have been happy with a refund and just parted ways.

-Hart

Arrogance in it's finest form ......I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow I always am.

Yorum is that you?

I understand that other collectors have received some very nice pieces...but come on...just because he delivers after X number of years a nice piece...that doesn't give him the right to treat people (who shell out hard earned cash) like .

This just shows he's not good at keeping his promises....oh excuse me, I meant contract work.

And for the record...I've received commissions from guys like Anthony Carpenter, Bill Lux, Drew Johnson, Bret Blevins, Alan Weiss, Leonard Kirk, Mike Oeming and others...and they didn't take more than 4 months to get me my commissions....what makes Pearson so special?

I just want this ordeal to be over and done with.

If I come across as a a-hole...sorry 'bout that...but I bet you and others would feel the same if it happened to you.

-Hart

Hart:

Well, there's nothing that makes Pearson any more so than the other artists you've received commissions from. Most artists deliver great stuff on time. Occassionally, you will come across an artist that takes advantage of the situation and kind of sours your experiences with future commission pieces so you learn from it.

I no longer pay in advance for commissions and if an artist asks for money up front, I relay some of my experiences to him. Often, the artist understands my situation and works with me.

Hart:

Well, there's nothing that makes Pearson any more so than the other artists you've received commissions from. Most artists deliver great stuff on time. Occassionally, you will come across an artist that takes advantage of the situation and kind of sours your experiences with future commission pieces so you learn from it.

I no longer pay in advance for commissions and if an artist asks for money up front, I relay some of my experiences to him. Often, the artist understands my situation and works with me.

Hi Yoram,

I'm with you on that one. Even on cons, when artists askf or money up front, I am hesitant, although I often do it unless the artist has a "reputation". I definitely ask for my money back should they not be done by the end of the con and they offer to do it from home, there just have been too many horror stories.

Malvin

Yoram & Malvin, thanks for the posts...I'll have to try that next time. And I'd have say that this is one of those HORROR con sketch stories you've heard about Malvin!

Oh btw Yoram...did you get your commission from Pearson yet?

You mentioned in an email (March 2007) to the Comic-List that he stated his goal was to complete all 2005 commissions by the end of 2007. Well 2007 has come and gone...

-Hart

Hart,

I know that you're just venting. And it can be frustrating.

But EVERYONE getting con sketches/commission MUST do their

homework. You must research each artist's tendencies (and they do change).

And yes, I probably am one of the four before you on the waiting list.

Jason Pearson has been lagging on con sketches since 2002. So it's not

new news. So know what you're getting into, otherwise just buy published

(completed) art.

IMHO,

John H.

Hello John,

thanks for the input...I did check with some other collectors, but they didn't have any info as to Pearson's sketch habits.

So I got it from the horses mouth directly...I asked Pearson before I gave him the $100.

His reply was..."there are four others before you, so there is a wait. I should have it done in a week or so. At the most it will take me three months." That was July 2005.

As to getting Pearson published art...no...that won't happen ever I'm sorry to say. All because of this experience with him.

But I will get other artists published art...that's a given! :D

-Hart

Yoram & Malvin, thanks for the posts...I'll have to try that next time. And I'd have say that this is one of those HORROR con sketch stories you've heard about Malvin!

Oh btw Yoram...did you get your commission from Pearson yet?

You mentioned in an email (March 2007) to the Comic-List that he stated his goal was to complete all 2005 commissions by the end of 2007. Well 2007 has come and gone...

-Hart

Hiya, Hart.

Yes, he made good on his word and I received it :)