• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello Thread

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

This is my 'hello'. Im from the UK and read comics through my childhood and early teens. The love for comic art and general comics has just come back to me and I have started collecting. I always loved Spider-man and owned some modern/late bronze comics. I also happened to own ASM #242, so I decided to work around that. I bought #241 and #243 (high-grade from ebay). A few weeks ago I decided to purchase a low-grade #70 (my first silver age).

I have a few questions:

1) How many collectors use ebay for building their collections?

2) If a comic comes with a backboard inside the plastic wallet, should it be removed?

3) How do you guys store your comics? (and where do you buy the storage equipment from?)

4) What direction should I take my collection? Should I try to make a run (from 243 downwards)? Or buy earlier comics less frequently?

Thanks

Hi and Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

I have a few questions:

ebay is a great resource for books but most sellers are not spot on with their grading so be cautious.

2) If a comic comes with a backboard inside the plastic wallet, should it be removed?

This would be a half-back or a full-back. Keep it in to provide sturdiness to the book but remove or replace if yellowed.

3) How do you guys store your comics? (and where do you buy the storage equipment from?)

In comic boxes in a cool dry enviroment, closet/basement. egerber.com has great supplies.

4) What direction should I take my collection? Should I try to make a run (from 243 downwards)? Or buy earlier comics less frequently?

That's not so easy to answer. It depends on your tastes, if you like a particular character/storyline, follow the run. Or you could just go for key books, collect what you like! (thumbs u

hey thanks for quick replys.

a plastic wallet is like a plastic sleeve.

any particular websites for buying storage stuff?

also, i want to get an opinion on a grading. the comic is ASM #70. i know theres a grade my comic section, but before i post i want to know if its ok to post only a pic of the front, because the back has a board behind it, so id have to take it out of the plastic sleeve.

Welcome :hi:

Hi everyone.

I have a few questions:

Yes, but not too often

It's up to you. I like to re-bag all my books so that they are uniform and I know when they were last bagged.

In Boxes. I get my supplies online or at the LCS. Several board memebers sell supplies.

Collect what you like and what you can afford.

also, i want to get an opinion on a grading. the comic is ASM #70. i know theres a grade my comic section, but before i post i want to know if its ok to post only a pic of the front, because the back has a board behind it, so id have to take it out of the plastic sleeve.

To get more accurate feedback on a grade for your book you should remove it from the plastic sleeve and scan the front and back covers. (thumbs u

Hello mate,

welcome to the boards, I'm from the UK also.

I replace all the bags and boards I get from other sellers, I know where they been!!

Long boxes or I found these plastic 19 litre containers with lids (called 'Really Useful Box') from a stationery store that are fantastic and just the right size for upright comics

Good luck with your collection (thumbs u

Welcome aboard the comics express.

I have a few questions:

Still a good source but there are other avenues including these boards.

As stated before, don't remove the boards - they are there to give the comic some support. Just make sure the board in on the back of the book, I've seen some where the board is placed in the middle of the book :o (that's a no no)

Get a comic box - they are non acidic and you can generally find them at your local comic shop. You can order them on line from egerber or some of our friends on the boards like HOTFLIPS but I hear the shipping may be a factor to Europe.

Collect what you like, if runs is what will make you happy then do that. Some collect key issues, some high grade, some low grade, some modern, some golden age. At the end of the day the choice if up to you.

ok ill buy some storage stuff to keep me going for a while.

I think 100 bags and boards shipped to the UK is like $300 or some crazy mess.

:eek:

ok ill buy some storage stuff to keep me going for a while.

what comic events are there in/around london?

The main comic show in London is at the Royal National Hotel. You can find out about it at www.comicmart.co.uk . Like Bill said, comicjohn on ebay or Dave Finn from Incognito Comics are both good to deal with regarding comic supplies.

The one thing I can never seem to find in the UK is Mylites. Now and then I get a comic from the US turn up in (what I assume to be) a Mylite. Very nice and shiny, and deadly sharp :grin:

Unless there's a stash I'm unaware of, we UKers have to make do with polyethylene. You can just about find Mylars, but I don't like the open top kind.

Anyway, nice to see another UK board member! Lets take over and turn all discussion towards 2000ADs :grin:

The one thing I can never seem to find in the UK is Mylites. Now and then I get a comic from the US turn up in (what I assume to be) a Mylite. Very nice and shiny, and deadly sharp :grin:

Unless there's a stash I'm unaware of, we UKers have to make do with polyethylene. You can just about find Mylars, but I don't like the open top kind.

Anyway, nice to see another UK board member! Lets take over and turn all discussion towards 2000ADs :grin:

Mega City Comics keep mylites I think.

Mega City Comics keep mylites I think.

So they do! Thanks for the tip. I might invest in some...

Welcome to the boards!!

Incognito comics in the UK is good for that stuff. If you need Egerber stuff/Archival, shoot me a PM. Ill do the best to save you on shipping if you need,

Jeff