• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 180 prices?

88 posts in this topic

So why does the 180 not say "First Apperance" then. Even if it was not a Full apperance? (shrug)

It does say "First Cameo/Brief Appearance - Last Panel" in any notation I've seen. (shrug)

Confirming: It DOES say first appearance on the CGC notation:

Hulk180.jpg

I think the market has chosen #181 long ago.

Of course it did, but I can remember 180 and 181 being the same price, then slowly people started reading the books and realizing that 181 is far more significant book. And in the "Cover Rules" days of CGC slabs, I can only see this trend continuing, if not accelerating.

It's easiest to see in the low-grade market, where you can pick up a 180 for chump change compared to a 181.

Of course it did, but I can remember 180 and 181 being the same price, then slowly people started reading the books and realizing that 181 is far more significant book. And in the "Cover Rules" days of CGC slabs, I can only see this trend continuing, if not accelerating.

It's easiest to see in the low-grade market, where you can pick up a 180 for chump change compared to a 181.

He does have a valid point

He does have a valid point

Precisely. The market always decides these controversial 1st appearance arguments (cameo or 1st full). No matter how much the minority or avid collector thinks one book should be more valued over the other. I always feel that you collect what you can afford, prefer or like.

I got a great deal on a 9.4 #180....I would love for it to be eventually be worth as much or more than the 181. And I personally think CGC labeled both books correctly.

Despite this, if I had to pick just one in HG...money no object...and I don't know the value of either?

I don't recall them being the same price. It must have been early in his career before the new x-men came along. Issue 180 is only one panel and people are not going to pay big money for what was essentially a teaser ad for the next issue.

I believe Wolverine is as much in Hulk 180 as Galactus is in FF 48, but the two issues are given much different weight as far as '1st Appearances' go. I wouldn't be surprised to see prices on 180 continue to climb and stay up, though that will likely be at least in part due to prices for 181 also rising and some people deciding to 'settle' for the cheaper book with the substantial claim. I don't imagine they'll ever be equal or switch places, though.

I believe Wolverine is as much in Hulk 180 as Galactus is in FF 48, but the two issues are given much different weight as far as '1st Appearances' go. I wouldn't be surprised to see prices on 180 continue to climb and stay up, though that will likely be at least in part due to prices for 181 also rising and some people deciding to 'settle' for the cheaper book with the substantial claim. I don't imagine they'll ever be equal or switch places, though.

Except FF48 is also the First Silver Sufer

I picture it this way in my mind, would I rather have a vf/nm 180 or 181

The answer is a 181. Even if you want to consider 180 the 1st Appearance

181 is a nice cover and a complete story

Isn't Wolvie's 1st appearance in #180 pretty much acknowledged by collectors by the fact that #180 is valued at 10 to 20 times higher than #179? That #181 is valued much higher than #180 signifies that collectors place more value on #181's content than the character's 1st appearance, at least in this instance.

Isn't Wolvie's 1st appearance in #180 pretty much acknowledged by collectors by the fact that #180 is valued at 10 to 20 times higher than #179?

Kind of a simplistic way of looking at it, as even Hulk 182 is worth multiples of 179.

Isn't Wolvie's 1st appearance in #180 pretty much acknowledged by collectors by the fact that #180 is valued at 10 to 20 times higher than #179?

Kind of a simplistic way of looking at it, as even Hulk 182 is worth multiples of 179.

Simple is good. :headbang:

As far as #182, this issue is apparently retaining its value since it completes the story of Wolvie's first appearance. However, Wolvie simply says adios in this issue, so it's not an essential book and is appropriately less valuable than #180. Issue #182 may have been quite valuable when the New X-Men were ultra-hot, as was any early appearance by a New X-Men, but IMO, this issue is way overvalued today.

As far as #182, this issue is apparently retaining its value since it completes the story of Wolvie's first appearance.

Obviously, but my point was that Hulk 179 is worth squat, so even a single panel of Wolvie's pubic hair would be worth more than that book.

Proves nothing.