• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Superman #14

29 posts in this topic

Is the cover attached at the staples? Anything added or sealed on the spine?

Also, looks like some dots of black color touch scattered around? And John is right, overhang trims seem a fair possibility.

Still, not a bad-looking book...

4.0 with color touch

:takeit:

Probably trimmed as well. Corners are way too sharp for a book with this much edgewear.

I'd still :takeit:

I've looked over the scan again, and have two comments to make:

1) the apparent CT is neither comprehensive nor logical; one would think that if CT were to be applied you'd be thorough about it hm

2) yes, the edges to the FC are relatively sharp, but at the same time there is no significant variation (i.e., that is to say, if it is trimmed, it's pretty nicely done, no?)

I am intending to pick it up tonight. :wishluck:

Any thoughts on pricing restored vs. non-restored in this grade? (assuming cover firmly attached, spine split of 1/2" or less, and no other pieces missing.) :)

I don't think that is white color touch. I think it is reinforcement tape or paper showing through the spine cracks and tears.

Wow! Congrats, David. Fantastic book regardless of the possible CT and trimming. I'm also going with a 4.0 on this.

The black sure looks like CT to me. I hear what you're saying about the inconsistencies, but who knows when it was done, or by whom, or for what reason. Could've been done ages ago by some kid with a black marker and no clue as to what he was doing?

Is this your first GA book?

(I have owned a grand total of one GA book - and only for a few days. It was a gift for one of my staff to celebrate his 10th anniversary with the company: a raw copy of World's Finest #19. Sure was fun to have it in hand, though!)

No back scan yet . . . :)

Superman14.jpg

Well, I'm back, and boy . . . am I ever disappointed. The book has been royally freaked with:

The white areas that are visible along the spine are reinforced by regular paper glued to the inside front cover. All three sides of the FC are trimmed, cover reinforced with tape and glued at the spine, rampant CT (India ink) - all amateur work done by the owner - an artist who just wanted the cover "to look better".

Needless to say, I passed. Now the worst part . . . I spent over 2 1/2 hours going through this guy's GA collection (about 75-100 books). You name the title, Tec, Supes, Bats, Wonder Woman, Smash, All Flash, Sensation, Action . . . he had some of each, and we're not talking krap here - just awesome issues, except . . . EVERY one but one that I looked at had been messed with big time! A virtual freakin-Franken-collection - it broke my heart. Not only did he CT, tape, glue and reinforce every book, but he had them in Mylars either taped or pinned to the wall of his studio - over half of them half faded to death.

I told him he was a VERY bad man (: and that his was a collection of "really junky good stuff." In addition he had about 4 boxes of mixed SA and BA books (maybe 400) heavy on the DC's - average grade 2.5, and very few, if any, issues above 4.0. Nevertheless, I still made him an offer over dinner (which he turned down). I had to leave without a single book, as by that point there wasn't any time left to cherry pick, as we both had other engagements.

Oy vay! What a disappointment! :sumo:

Ouch. :( Sorry to hear it David.

Honestly, my gut was there were likely surprises to come. :eek: My "welcome to the GA side" comment was a touch tongue-in-cheek...unfortunately, as you found out the hard way, there's a whole host of restoration issues and interior issues to worry about with GA books that have been passed around a lot...issues less common to SA books.

Better luck next time! Onward....

A book like that, even with all the issues, is still a $250-$350 book. ;)

Perhaps, to the fool hearty . . . :whistle:

The most disturbing quality (to me) is the severe trimming. The use of non-archival materials is also disturbing.