• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Phoenix area comic shops?

31 posts in this topic

Annihilus, welcome to Phoenix!

All About Books and Comics is my top recommendation, too. I would skip the Samurai Dog comics store a mile away on 7th. Customer service at Atomic Comics is better in the Chandler and Mesa locations, from my experience. (Didn't care for the Phoenix and Paradise Valley ones.)

Somebody mentioned a store close to ASU. The only one there now is Pop Culture Paradise. It's pretty cramped and it's not a good source of back issues. There were two others, but the anime-focused one thankfully went out of business and the other one went to internet-only with an emphasis on independents.

I've been here since 1983. The one book shop sounds fimiliar, but It was on the east side of town, I have always lived out west, Peoria, until a couple years ago. Where you here to see the Lost Dutchman. I loved that store completely trashy and full of old books. The owner didn't deal in new stuff. Sadly he killed himself a few years back. Tom Kalb is out in Tempe and I want to see what he has. I know he has some GA stuff etc as well as OA. I just never find the time to drive out there.

I live in the East Valley. What's the name of Tom's store and whereabouts is it?

WOW!

Thanks to you and the others that recommended All About Books and Comics in Phoenix. What a great shop! They have more Silver Age stocked in that store than they have in all the shops in the Twin Cities combined. The guys in there were both extremely friendly and helpful (another impossibility in MN). After stopping there, Annihilus just crossed off the other two shops on his list and went to dinner. BTW, saw Samurai Dog and just kept on driving.

Excellent, excellent place for comics....thanks again guys!

Annihilus, welcome to Phoenix!

All About Books and Comics is my top recommendation, too. I would skip the Samurai Dog comics store a mile away on 7th. Customer service at Atomic Comics is better in the Chandler and Mesa locations, from my experience. (Didn't care for the Phoenix and Paradise Valley ones.)

Somebody mentioned a store close to ASU. The only one there now is Pop Culture Paradise. It's pretty cramped and it's not a good source of back issues. There were two others, but the anime-focused one thankfully went out of business and the other one went to internet-only with an emphasis on independents.

I've been here since 1983. The one book shop sounds fimiliar, but It was on the east side of town, I have always lived out west, Peoria, until a couple years ago. Where you here to see the Lost Dutchman. I loved that store completely trashy and full of old books. The owner didn't deal in new stuff. Sadly he killed himself a few years back. Tom Kalb is out in Tempe and I want to see what he has. I know he has some GA stuff etc as well as OA. I just never find the time to drive out there.

I live in the East Valley. What's the name of Tom's store and whereabouts is it?

WOW!

Thanks to you and the others that recommended All About Books and Comics in Phoenix. What a great shop! They have more Silver Age stocked in that store than they have in all the shops in the Twin Cities combined. The guys in there were both extremely friendly and helpful (another impossibility in MN). After stopping there, Annihilus just crossed off the other two shops on his list and went to dinner. BTW, saw Samurai Dog and just kept on driving.

Excellent, excellent place for comics....thanks again guys!

Sounds like someone just fell in love. Congrats.

:luhv:

can't believe i missed this thread..

glad you found All about books and comics..i think my buddy Simon was working there today ;)

don't know if you're still in town, but if you are and want to check out another shop or two, i would recommend these two:

in chandler / gilbert area, I really like Greg's Comics...the owner is awesome, and they have GREAT discounts on already modestly priced back issues. I just picked up about 40 Cerebus back issues for a little less than $50! (marked at $2 a piece).

in tempe, i go to Ash avenue comics (next to Mill ave, right off of ASU campus). Nice little shop, the employees are all solid. Their modern selection is pretty good, but that's about it.

atomic comics locations in mesa and chandler aren't bad..prices are pretty poor for back issues though. Mesa has a very large selection.

With all of that being said...All about comics is definitely the best, IMO.

Welcome to AZ ;)

can't believe i missed this thread..

glad you found All about books and comics..i think my buddy Simon was working there today ;)

don't know if you're still in town, but if you are and want to check out another shop or two, i would recommend these two:

in chandler / gilbert area, I really like Greg's Comics...the owner is awesome, and they have GREAT discounts on already modestly priced back issues. I just picked up about 40 Cerebus back issues for a little less than $50! (marked at $2 a piece).

in tempe, i go to Ash avenue comics (next to Mill ave, right off of ASU campus). Nice little shop, the employees are all solid. Their modern selection is pretty good, but that's about it.

atomic comics locations in mesa and chandler aren't bad..prices are pretty poor for back issues though. Mesa has a very large selection.

With all of that being said...All about comics is definitely the best, IMO.

Welcome to AZ ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

Nope, we were only in town for a few hours, but thanks for the suggestions....we'll check 'em out next time.

Didn't catch either of the guys names at AAB&C, but one of them was a dude with short choppy hair and a beard probably in his late 20's-early 30's that is going to ASU (?), and the other guy was older and had long hair, probably in his late 40's or early 50's (?)....sorry if I guessed the ages wrong. The owner was by the other entrance gabbing with someone pretty intensely, so never got to talk to him, but the other two guys were really cool.

Completely un-comic related, but coming from MN, this was funny. We went into a restaurant where the front door faced West and the sun shined on it for a majority of the last half of the day. They had one of those 'pan-handle pot-handle' things on the door handle because the door handle was too hot to open without it. Probably not so funny or out of the ordinary to folks used to the heat, but it was funny to us! 110 degrees in the shade at 6:30 p.m. was pretty funny too :P

yeah...110 isn't even that bad

give it a month or so ;)

At least its a DRY heat as they say. lol

lol, hey...coming from all the sticky humidity in MN, believe it or not, there is a huge difference. But when you get over 110, even dry heat is pretty darn hot.

Absolutely. Definitely easier on our comics, too!

And I forgot about Greg's Comics. I used to go, but a friend of mine made me break a pull list with them, so I don't show up there anymore out of guilt. Aside from the wall books, you probably aren't going to find much in back issues outside of mostly copper. I almost forgot, though - they do sell some small runs or sets (like mini/maxi series) in a discounted package. The owner and manager there are nice guys. Go often enough for them to remember you, and the owner will start throwing discounts onto your books at the counter. That store has a bunch of neat action figures (particularly Star Wars) if you're into that as well.

I really like greg's selection of back issues...maybe because it panders to my liking:

Bone, Cerebus, Invincible, Walking dead....they are stocked on all of them...or at least they used to be ;)

Anyway, I prefer Greg's to the atomic stores...and they are the only close stores I have.