• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller DD page in Aug ComicLink auction

8 posts in this topic

Just browsing today and saw this Miller page from 172. Great scene with Bullseye and Kingpin. I have yet to buy any OA but I wish I had the coin for this one.

That particular page looks like pencil layouts by Frank with finishes by Klaus.

If someone has the comic, the credits are usually the tip-off.

As the story goes, in later issues when Frank was doing thumbnails and Klaus was lightboxing over blow ups of the thunbnails, the credits listed Miller and Janson as "storytellers". Klaus' pencils weren't bad but a bit stiffer.

Cheers!

N

Frank Miller did the FULL pencils in 172, which is the last issue he's credited as such.

From 173-183(or so) Frank pencilled on the actual bristol boards Janson inked on, but they are not fully fleshed out, finely detailed - which is why there is a distinct change in the 'style' of the art at that point. Easily seen by the much greater use of blacks.

Having talked to Frank personally, it was not until 184 that he started doing the pencils on smaller sheets, but he could not recall for certain at the time. If anyone talks to Janson directly and can confirm that exact issue he was delivered pencils on the smaller sheets he then lightboxed, I'd like to know, as this has never been 'exactly' established, as far as I know.

BACK ISSUE #21 was devoted to the Miller/Janson collaboration on DD. You can read about it here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105048

To summarize:

158-172 Tight Miller drawings (he also spots blacks), Janson inks.

173-185 Looser Miller pencils, Janson inks and spots blacks. 179 Janson starts coloring as well.

185-190 Miller layouts on small sheets of paper. Janson draws, inks and colors.

Felix