• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dudeman's HeroesCon Day 1 report

16 posts in this topic

DSCN0586.jpg

Heroes Con 08! I got in about 1:30 and got in the professional line for my VIP pass (wrongline Dudeman!). The pleasant gal working that line asked me what she would know me from-I replied with an outstanding rendition on YouTube of Rick James "Superfreak" on carnival cruise lines eastern Carribean cruise "2005". It really was incredible! She then informed me that perhaps I was in the wrong line! Oh well!

What impressed me right off of the bat was the intimate and friendly atmosphere of HeroesCon. I went straight into artist's alley looking for Roy Thomas (Saturday only-I should have learned to read the event schedule :pullhair: ) I ran into Daniel Way who I knew from the past as we both shopped at Atlantis Comics/Atlantic Beach Book Mart in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina.

DSCN0582.jpg

Dan was as awesome as I remember and we had a great conversation. This writer is a top notch guy!

I stopped by HotFlipz and found Jeff nowhere to be found and I just had missed Sterling.

I grabbed a beer because they sold it (beer break-hooray!) and headed back into the fray.

I ran into Rick Remender of Fear Agent and End League fame. Rick was hilarious and friendly anbd signed a Fear Agent for me. Some clown dressed up as the Joker tried to ruin the photo. I did not want to spill my beer so my wife took care of it. Hilarious and Youtube bound!

DSCN0584.jpg

I stopped to speak with Adam Hughes and he was his typical self and did not have time for me. He told my wife that people camp out to see him-great people skills. I am officially no longer fan!

I spoke with Michael Golden for about 15 minutes and found him to be personable and inviting. I have read the whole "virue" thread and I was impressed at the man and the artist. he was obviously busy but took the time to speak with both my wife and I at length. Go Micronauts!

DSCN0585.jpg

Grabbed the new HeroesCon 08 t-shirt with Iron Man on it-pretty sweet!

DSCN0588.jpg

As I was waiting for Mark Waid (Only 5 minutes!) I spoke with Dan Didio and Jimmy Palmiotti. Dan remembered me as the "crazy" Marine and told me he kept the challenge coin I gave him on his desk next to his computer. Jimmy was awesome as always and I enjoyed shooting the breeze with them at the newsarama booth.

If you've ever spoken with Mark Waid, you know this guy is polite and smart as all get out.

DSCN0583.jpg

From the buzz I gathered not alot of buying going on, however a rather large crowd. I dropped a chunk of change at Motor City Comics and Crazy Ed's (How awesome is crazy Ed huh?)

I stopped by the CGC booth and spoke with with Gemma. No BS here, I do business with CGC because of the personal service I receive and great customer care. Gemma welcomed me home after being deployed and remembered my wife from speaking with her through e-mail. To me-that meant everything and I am a CGC for life!

My one regret today is that I did not meet any fellow boardies, however the beer flowed ($3.50 a pop!) and my hopes are that tomorrow is the day I meet my fellow board members.

HeroesCon so far has continued the tradition of family friendly and as close to the creator atmosphere as I have found. Great day today and I am sure tommorrow will rock as well!

From HeroesCon day one-the Dudeman is out!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

mess dude you walked around with beer. we are hanging out.

Call me tomorrow and we will get the thing going. I started drinking an hour ago and were not going to sleep. gonna arrive in charlotte around 9 am.

well talk about camp lejeune and comics.

it will be rad.

ps. i think i said my ex fiance worked atlantis comics. man i should have stuck that one out.

Whats up Dude!! i gave you a shoutout over the phone though. Unfortunately i had back surgery a couple of months ago (again) and it kind of limits the conventions i can attend. i will be in chicago next weekend. hopefully ill make it down to charlotte next year. The fam is still representing in charlotte though, lol .

Nice report!!

Great report and pics!

I grabbed a beer because they sold it...

I like where your head is at...if they sell it, I will drink it.

As for Michael Golden, I was disappointed in the "virue" thread, because it seemed to sour peoples opinion of him. I have talked with him on a few occasions and have had basically the same experience you did. He was very friendly and personable.

If you ever make it to the Philly or Baltimore cons, drop me a PM and I will gladly drink a few with you.

Great report and pics!

I grabbed a beer because they sold it...

I like where your head is at...if they sell it, I will drink it.

As for Michael Golden, I was disappointed in the "virue" thread, because it seemed to sour peoples opinion of him. I have talked with him on a few occasions and have had basically the same experience you did. He was very friendly and personable.

If you ever make it to the Philly or Baltimore cons, drop me a PM and I will gladly drink a few with you.

Sounds good Brother-definitely see you in Baltimore!

:banana: Chris

Whats up Dude!! i gave you a shoutout over the phone though. Unfortunately i had back surgery a couple of months ago (again) and it kind of limits the conventions i can attend. i will be in chicago next weekend. hopefully ill make it down to charlotte next year. The fam is still representing in charlotte though, lol .

Nice report!!

I am bagging some books in some shiny Mylites from HotFlipz right now! The concession stand was right next to you guys and it seemed like your family was busy handling the crowd all weekend. I hope you all had a great show and I hope your back feels better Jeff!

:banana:Chris

Nice report!!

I am bagging some books in some shiny Mylites from HotFlipz right now! The concession stand was right next to you guys and it seemed like your family was busy handling the crowd all weekend. I hope you all had a great show and I hope your back feels better Jeff!

:banana:Chris

Thanks!! Glad they took care of you. Thanks for the reports!! It feels like I was there.

Love your report. Spot on about adam Hughes and Mark Waid. Crazy ED on the other hand is another story. He is a predator, and should be encapsulated as a .5 cgc green label. I have seen him swindle way too many young children into buying his overpriced to consider him awesome.

Love your report. Spot on about adam Hughes and Mark Waid. Crazy ED on the other hand is another story. He is a predator, and should be encapsulated as a .5 cgc green label. I have seen him swindle way too many young children into buying his overpriced to consider him awesome.

Ed will not let you leave until he has your social security number and mothers maiden name.