• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever find original comic art at a Yard Sale?

29 posts in this topic

I was able to buy a 1941 Prince Valiant sunday from someone who got it at an estate sale once.

I also looked at a 1941 Superman daily by Shuster, a 1932 Tracy daily and a bunch of other items that were bought by someone else in the same sale - but who had not seen the Val because it was elsewhere in the house.. This group became part of a bidding war & I was not able to buy it even though I offered the donkey 10K and had cash with me.

I do still have the Prince Valiant sunday however & of the 50 or so I have owned & sold over the years -- it's the one I kept!!

I found this spaceman by Tony Salmons at a flea market about 25 years ago. I was more into comics than original art, but I thought it was cool and paid a couple of dollars.

Spaceman.jpg

I went to a local auction about 8 years ago and while I was only into comics at that time, I did see two pieces of OA for auction. One was a Marvel Team up page with Spidey done by Sal Buscema that I did end up buying for like $60. - The other was a DC cover, I forget exactly but I do believe it was a horror title....I think it went for $80 ! :pullhair:

Why I didn't pursue it, I'll never know...

Well I've been collecting videogames for 10+ years so the best answer to that is anywhere I can!

Just checked out your gallery - great stuff! The box art for Karnov and River City Ransom are classic...

Unfortunately, the only thing I've found at yard sales is other people's junk. However, I do remember seeing on at least one eBay auction in which the sller said that they bought the piece at a yard sale. About a year ago, an individual listed a Michael Golden Micronauts page, and stated in the auction that he bought it at a yard sale for $5.

Personally, I thought that this would have been the kiss of death for that particular auction, but, alas, I was proven wrong once again and the seller recouped almost $900 from his $5 investment. I believe the seller wrote in the eBay description that he bought the a few months before the auction.

Thus, he made an approximately 18000% profit in about a few months. Annualized, that would be nearly 60000% a year.

I would be happy with one such investment in my lifetime.

Best regards.

- A

Last year, there was a seller on Ebay who was selling a pair of nice MIRACLEMAN pages that he had just bought from an estate sale (which, for the most part, are glorified garage sales). They were consecutive pages from issue #14, featuring excellent John Totleben art. The price? $35. For the pair.

His disclosing the price had zero effect on the final bid (around $4500, iirc), much like the Golden auction. They're just fun stories, I don't think any reasonable bidder would let that influence their valuation.

Yeah, I heard about the Avengers #1 splash...2 other pages were found with it...

That story appears to be BS as the people involved ended up spending some time with the police and the art was surrendered. Here is the picture of the Avenger #1 splash I was sent from a local dealer asking if I thought it was legit.

60788-AvengersArt3.jpg.7c494dbe6f1c4736a63e2f6e69c4289f.jpg

Wasn't there also a "Ditk-A" Spiderman page posted awhile ago on ebay that the seller claimed to have discovered at a garage sale? :roflmao:

Obviously that turned out to be a fake.

It was Spider-man eating a Saw-SAGE and Peppers...

Daaaa Coach

ditkafinger.jpg

Not at a garage sale, but about 2 months ago a older guy walks into my place of business, I buy and sell scrap metal in nyc, and he has about 9 pieces of art, framed, from the late 80's to 1973. They were not in the best of shape, some water and moisture damage, but still fairly presentable. The 1973 piece was a Kirby Demon, not a great page, but not bad, and the rest were two Mike Zeck Cap's, a X-men or two, from the late '80's, a Spec. Spider-man page, from number 18 or 19, and even a Gene Colan page, can't remember what book. I can't remember the other 2-3 pages, but they were Marvel's.

So he says he found them in the garbage. I did not get into it beyond that, I offered a reasonable number, he agreed, and I paid him cash. He looked surprised they were worth that. He did not even really know what they were, really had no idea how a comic was made, etc. None of the stuff was to my taste, so I sold them all within a few weeks, at a decent enough profit.