• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Origins?

57 posts in this topic

What character in comics has the dumbest origin?

One that I think would be in the running starts off sounding like a bad joke--A Japanese, an Italian, and a German take off in a plane. All three are spies for their respective countries. During the flight, their plane is caught in a lightning storm. The plane crashes. A single body emerges from the crash with the minds of the three men merged and with the strength of three men. Thus is born Marvel's Agent Axis in Invaders Annual 1.

Okay. meh

Not to cause World War III but when you think about it, the yellow sun wouldn't do a blamed thing for superboy.

Whizzer anyone? -

"The origin of the Golden Age character begins while Robert Frank is on a trip to Africa with his father, Dr. Emil Frank, where Robert is bitten by a cobra. Dr. Frank saves Robert by a transfusion of mongoose blood, and soon discovers that he has developed super-speed."

Mongoose blood transfusion :P

Wolverine.
Which one? Hasn't he had like a dozen origins?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd be betting on Origin, which is the biggest piece of lowbrow, ill-conceived tripe I've ever read.

Ultra the Multi-Alien - Earth spaceman trapped between four enemies each of a different alien race, each armed with a ray-gun that turns its target into a subservient version of the shooter. They all shoot him together and he becomes a super-powered being with a body that's a quarter of each of them and retains his free will.

Having said that, I love the way they just threw all that together with absolutely none of the Grant Morrison "oh, aren't I wild and weird" preening and arse-wiggling you'd get if, well, Grant Morrison used the character today.

Eclipse Comics published a comic from Africa called PowerMan. PowerMan got his powers when somebody tried to kill him by tossing an electrical appliance into the shower he was taking. Instead of killing him,it gave him super-powers.But don't try this at home,kids. Believe it or not,Dave gibbons drew this .The Eclipse version included a stern warning not to try this yourself.

Myself and many retailers returned the book,not wanting to get blamed for some kid electrocuting himself.

Eclipse Comics published a comic from Africa called PowerMan. PowerMan got his powers when somebody tried to kill him by tossing an electrical appliance into the shower he was taking. Instead of killing him,it gave him super-powers.But don't try this at home,kids. Believe it or not,Dave gibbons drew this .The Eclipse version included a stern warning not to try this yourself.

Myself and many retailers returned the book,not wanting to get blamed for some kid electrocuting himself.

no wonder Eclipse isn't still around

that is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumb!

Whizzer anyone? -

"The origin of the Golden Age character begins while Robert Frank is on a trip to Africa with his father, Dr. Emil Frank, where Robert is bitten by a cobra. Dr. Frank saves Robert by a transfusion of mongoose blood, and soon discovers that he has developed super-speed."

Mongoose blood transfusion :P

Maybe it was the massive anaphylactic reaction that gave him super speed lol

All theses guys with a 'radioactive origin'.

Wow, now that i think of that, that means most of the comics characters... doh!

Any character whose name is a close approximation to his "real" name gets a thumbs-down from me.

Two thumbs down if the names actually relate to the power the character possesses.

Perusing the Marvel Wiki, I find that there's a character with the nom de guerre of "Lucky Pierre." Any of you know some slang term that you don't know where you heard it from, and aren't really all that proud that you know it? Well, "Lucky Pierre" is one such term, and the fact that MU has someone with this nick makes me lol

Bloodfire was pretty lame. Soldier gets HIV from a blood transfusion and gets super powers from the experimental HIV cure. The drawback... his blood bursts into flames when it comes in contact with air. :o

Better not cut yourself shaving.