• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Origins?

57 posts in this topic

Bloodfire was pretty lame. Soldier gets HIV from a blood transfusion and gets super powers from the experimental HIV cure. The drawback... his blood bursts into flames when it comes in contact with air. :o

Better not cut yourself shaving.

:o AWESOME!

What character in comics has the dumbest origin?

All theses guys with a 'radioactive origin'.

Wow, now that i think of that, that means most of the comics characters... doh!

:gossip: Most Marvel SA characters. Stan had a thing for radioactivity, but that was the times.

Bloodfire was pretty lame. Soldier gets HIV from a blood transfusion and gets super powers from the experimental HIV cure. The drawback... his blood bursts into flames when it comes in contact with air. :o

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the totally kick butt, 1992 art.

11640752718.1.GIF

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the totally kick butt, 1992 art.

11640752718.1.GIF

I would have boycotted it for the lousy font alone. :sumo:

Robin, Robin II, Robin III, female Robin, Robin whatever........

No 12 year old boy with no super powers is going to beat up any full grown men, no matter how much circus training he had.....

batman.gif

Robin, Robin II, Robin III, female Robin, Robin whatever........

No 12 year old boy with no super powers is going to beat up any full grown men, no matter how much circus training he had.....

batman.gif

Robin is a huge reason I couldn't stand most DC krap when I was a kid. At least Marvel morfed Bucky so that he had some edge. Robin probably has the worse costume ever.

FF.

Reed Richard and Family flies a rocket into outer space by themselves... :roflmao: Even for that period in history...do you know how many TEAMS of people (scientists, techincians and such) it takes to get a rocket into outer space?

Besides Reed...you got Ben Grimm (ok, he was a pilot...right?) But a kid and his older sister?!! If anyone remembers those early FF books...

Until they gave Sue Storm the ability to project force fields...all she would do is powder her nose, shop and turned invisible and screamed for Reed to help her!

Besides the whole idea of them taking a rocket into space...Homeland Security anyone?

FF.

Reed Richard and Family flies a rocket into outer space by themselves... :roflmao: Even for that period in history...do you know how many TEAMS of people (scientists, techincians and such) it takes to get a rocket into outer space?

Besides Reed...you got Ben Grimm (ok, he was a pilot...right?) But a kid and his older sister?!! If anyone remembers those early FF books...

Until they gave Sue Storm the ability to project force fields...all she would do is powder her nose, shop and turned invisible and screamed for Reed to help her!

Besides the whole idea of them taking a rocket into space...Homeland Security anyone?

Dood - reread FF1. If I recall correctly, Reed, et al, snuck into the base and STOLE the rocket to prevent the Russians from reaching Mars first. It may not be a great origin, but it works about as well as a military scientist having a supersecret supersoldier serum that can't be reproduced because only he knows the exact formula. If the US ran WWII the way they ran that super soldier program, we'd all be speaking Japanese right now.

Didn't Andy Griffith do the same thing in a short lived TV series Salvage 1?

Besides anybody that makes a rocket ought to be able to launch it....but NO...not anymore. Pesky regulations. :sumo:

Giganta may be one of them. Not really bad, just odd. I'm sure she'd get nervous if she were in a serious relationship and it was time to start telling secrets. "Honey, I don't want this to weird you out, but...I...used to be a gorilla." :)

Robin is a huge reason I couldn't stand most DC krap when I was a kid.

At least DC had the brains to send Robin "off to college" for 15 years starting in the early 1970's. Guess Robin wasn't too bright..... hm

This is why the 1970's version of Batman is the best ever and always will be. Great art by Adams, Rogers, Aparo, Starlin, Kaluta, Robbins, Norvick....... and best of all no Robin to get in the way.

Batman started going downhill when Robin II was introduced and he has never recovered.

nominating spidey is unfair

i love his origin

i reckon the worst so far is the alien one

A Bite from a radio active spider supposedly gives him spiders powers?

Other than strength he didn't inherit anything from the spider!

Where did his Spider sence come from?

And his agility?

Sounds like Parker was a mutant whose powers were unlocked by the shock of the bite. That origin makes more sence

yeah

but i think part of the origin was very relevant and fitting for the time. it was post-cold war, there was still talk of atomic bombs and radioactivity was a hot subject

Dood - reread FF1. If I recall correctly, Reed, et al, snuck into the base and STOLE the rocket to prevent the Russians from reaching Mars first.

Yep, and in that way, the comic book origin was far more logical than the movie one, where it seemed to be a group of pals, old boyfriends and family in charge of the whole thing.

Totally ludicrous. lol

Other than strength he didn't inherit anything from the spider!

Spiders can be incredibly agile and can climb/jump like madmen. The "spider sense" is described as their innate ability to sense things around them, like air movement, sound, etc.

Pete got spider strength, agility, and ability to stick to any surface from the spider. THose are the feasible powers for a comic sold to kids.

Shooting organic webbing would never have worked in the 60's (too high ick factor) - same with fangs.

Yeah but its too bad they went from the top of the heap to the pits of hell when they rolled out Tec #38. Biggest editorial mistake in DC history.

lollol

People tend to forget that comics used to be written for smart kids, who appreciated the presence of someone close to their age, rather than the dumb adults of today's marketplace.

As a kid,I hated kid sidekicks. I could dream of growing up to be a hero.Watching Bucky kick nazi just made me mad.I seriously doubt sidekicks were ever very popular with the kids. It was just the adults writing the books that thought they were.When we played super-hero,everyone wanted to be Batman or Space Ghost,nobody wanted to be Robin or the twins.