• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Origins?

57 posts in this topic

Yeah but its too bad they went from the top of the heap to the pits of hell when they rolled out Tec #38. Biggest editorial mistake in DC history.

lollol

People tend to forget that comics used to be written for smart kids, who appreciated the presence of someone close to their age, rather than the dumb adults of today's marketplace.

Yeah but shouldn't be reason or excuse to make them so dorky.

I've got to cast my vote for the not-so-memorable Kangaroo (ASM 81)... A guy spends his vacation studying kangaroos, eating what they eat, going where they go, and suddenly he's got superhuman jumping abilities. :screwy:

Yeah but its too bad they went from the top of the heap to the pits of hell when they rolled out Tec #38. Biggest editorial mistake in DC history.

Batman would not have survived the 1950's (post-code) as a dark vengeful character. He would have been banned.

He might not have even survived as a character post-Pearl Harbor. The mood of America and its comics changed after Pearl Harbor. They had to be patriotic.

Batman would not have survived the 1950's (post-code) as a dark vengeful character. He would have been banned.

He might not have even survived as a character post-Pearl Harbor. The mood of America and its comics changed after Pearl Harbor. They had to be patriotic.

And what does the introduction of Robin have to do with the bolded statement above? (shrug)

I've got to cast my vote for the not-so-memorable Kangaroo (ASM 81)... A guy spends his vacation studying kangaroos, eating what they eat, going where they go, and suddenly he's got superhuman jumping abilities. :screwy:

And you Marvel guys make fun of DC...

And what does the introduction of Robin have to do with the bolded statement above? (shrug)

I'm just saying Batman would have had to change anyway, regardless of whether Robin came along or not. The dark vengeful Batman of 1939 who wore guns, used guns, and killed people (or at least did little to prevent their death) would not have been acceptable to the public in 1942 when every other superhero was out there on the cover smiling and telling everyone to buy war bonds.

There is no way the Batman of 1942 would have been characterized like the Batman of 1939, even if Robin had never come along.

I'm just saying Batman would have had to change anyway, regardless of whether Robin came along or not. The dark vengeful Batman of 1939 who wore guns, used guns, and killed people (or at least did little to prevent their death) would not have been acceptable to the public in 1942 when every other superhero was out there on the cover smiling and telling everyone to buy war bonds.

There is no way the Batman of 1942 would have been characterized like the Batman of 1939, even if Robin had never come along.

That's what I surmised. I agree that I am hard-pressed to name another comic character that was and stayed that grim over that time period even though I am quite sure at least one or more MLJ characters would fit that description, e.g. Hangman and others. Naturally they were not as popular as Batman to start with.

In the pulps, the Shadow did not ostensibly turn into a patriotic character: he was and remained on the outskirts of the law as Batman was and he was not re-centered nor was the Spider. In the end, I don't know how much of the change was necessary due to the public demand as to how much was pushed by the publishers as they figured patriotic would sell; call it early strategic marketing if you wish. After all, that's why Cap Am went online.

He should have said "they had to be patriotic OR seem harmless to the general public.

(By the way, I don't 100% agree with that but I can see the reasoning)

Luke cage.

Actually, I think that's one of the cooler origins - street hood with potential rap sheet a mile long, goes to jail for the one crime he didn't commit, gets beat down bad, then volunteers to be part of a prison experiment (those actually did happen), but the head guard fries the machinery, almost kills Luke, who emerges a powerhouse and nearly punches the guard through a wall.

Then he escapes, and true to his character, rather than becoming a superhero, he sets up shop as a Hero-for-Hire, essentially a street mercenary, all the while hiding his criminal past.

Luke cage.

Actually, I think that's one of the cooler origins - street hood with potential rap sheet a mile long, goes to jail for the one crime he didn't commit, gets beat down bad, then volunteers to be part of a prison experiment (those actually did happen), but the head guard fries the machinery, almost kills Luke, who emerges a powerhouse and nearly punches the guard through a wall.

Then he escapes, and true to his character, rather than becoming a superhero, he sets up shop as a Hero-for-Hire, essentially a street mercenary, all the while hiding his criminal past.

Hate to say it,but I actually agree.

All theses guys with a 'radioactive origin'.

Wow, now that i think of that, that means most of the comics characters... doh!

Early SA Marvel, anyway. Has anyone ever done a "What If?" where Peter Parker, Bruce Banner and the Fantastic Four were all patients in a cancer ward?

Luke cage.

Hate to say it,but I actually agree.

yeah, you can't mess with old Cool Hand Luke...

:headbang: