• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America 100 *Has this comic been trimmed?!?*

24 posts in this topic

Can anyone please tell me if this comic looks like it's been trimmed, or has anyone ever seen other issues of Cap. 100 with this problem (miscut by the printer maybe?). I'm not sure if the previous owner trimmed it for some reason or not. The right side of the book is where it looks trimmed as the width on the top is noticeably less than the width on the bottom! :eek:

Unfortunately, this comic appears to have severe rust migration on the inside pages.

Also appears to have mold or stains caused by some significant moisture damage

Thanks in advance!

CAP100.jpg

CAP100_back.jpg

CAP100_stain.jpg

CAP100_staples.jpg

Hey Chris, looks OK to me. Why do you think it is trimmed?

Dave, you can see it better if you look at the back cover image on the left side. You'll see that the angle of that side comes in a bit as you follow the edge up from the bottom to the top!

At first, I thought that I had placed it in the scanner at an angle. But I noticed that the spine looked flush in the image. (shrug)

Can anyone please tell me if this comic looks like it's been trimmed, or has anyone ever seen other issues of Cap. 100 with this problem (miscut by the printer maybe?). I'm not sure if the previous owner trimmed it for some reason or not. The right side of the book is where it looks trimmed as the width on the top is noticeably less than the width on the bottom! :eek:

Unfortunately, this comic appears to have severe rust migration on the inside pages.

Thanks in advance!

CAP100.jpg

CAP100_back.jpg

CAP100_stain.jpg

CAP100_staples.jpg

Yes , it's been trimmed w/out a doubt ! .......................................

OK , thanks Chris, thought the book looked a little thinner on the top of the front scan. I don't think it is trimmed. Try measuring it against a similar aged Marvel. Also look to see if the colour of the edge of the pages is whiter than the rest of the page colour. Page colour looks consistent on the slight fanning visable in the back cover scan.

Thanks in advance!

CAP100.jpg

CAP100_back.jpg

CAP100_stain.jpg

CAP100_staples.jpg

Yes , it's been trimmed w/out a doubt ! .......................................

Are you now an expert on trimming Brian?

BTW It doesn't looked trimmed at all to me.

FFreak , look at how all of a sudden , when there are obvious holes and deterioration beginning towards the upper half of the front cover , that it is cut/slanted inward ?... (shrug)
It looks to me like the whole book is slanted slightly.

Ok... but it does have a strange angle on that one side, doesn't it. Could that have been caused by moisture damage?

So BTW, with all the defects in this comic, how would it grade? Still haven't seen an opinion on that yet. I plan on selling this one, along with 103, 104 and 105 and would like to get an idea about the grade for pricing. Thanks.

Ok... but it does have a strange angle on that one side, doesn't it. Could that have been caused by moisture damage?

So BTW, with all the defects in this comic, how would it grade? Still haven't seen an opinion on that yet. I plan on selling this one, along with 103, 104 and 105 and would like to get an idea about the grade for pricing. Thanks.

I apologize ! , If I had thought that you or CFreak or anyone here was about to sell it , I would have just remained silent . I thought it was some kinda quiz .

But , w/ that being said , no one knows for sure , and that's prob. why CGC doesnt "usually" try to decipher it , or give much weight to it ? ..........................BH

I would settle it like this. Do you know or think it is trimmed? If you do, then tell potential buyers so.

Honestly, I don't know if it's been trimmed. I picked this up in a collection of mid grade SA comics a month ago and just thought it looked a little weird once I scanned it.

So no opinions on grade?

3.5 IMHO The water stains and the rusty staples just kill an other wise decent book. I know that number sounds harsh. But with the total defects taken into account I think it is a decent grade.

Thanks for the grade. I suspected it would be pretty low on this one :(

More likely it was simply cut poorly at the printer. Trimmers typically cut straight and don't leave trapezoidal shaped books! I don't mean to sound rude, but given the water damage, rust, mold and every other flaw on this book, does it really matter?

Hold the comic and look along the edge where the folded pages meet. The folded pages form a Pyramid shape that is lost when people trim comics unless they disassemble the entire book and trim each and every page in exactly the same way.

I don't think your book is trimmed, miscuts happen, especially in 1968.

I also agree with the grade given, 3.5