• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Turner Rememberance thread

40 posts in this topic

It has taken me the weekend to give some thought to what I would say. In a way, thank goodness we were very busy at the show. It helped keep my mind off of this sad day in comics. But here I go.

I first met Michael back at the very first Wizard World LA (either in 2003 or 04) when it was actually in Long Beach, Ca. I had only been collecting for a relatively short period of time. But when I saw Michael's work, I knew he was different from most of the other artists. His style was different than everyne else's to even the common eye. My wife, Sharon, saw his work and was able to spot it from miles away after that point. But we both met Michael at that con and Michael struck us both as a humble, careing and honest man. He took the time to spend a few minutes talking to us while he signed our stuff. He never seemed to be rushed in any way and was willing to spend an eternity with us or so it seemed. We both walked away from that initial meeting with a feeling that we had just made a new friend. Since that time Michael has always taken the time to say hi, say a few words and share a few moments with us at any con we saw him at.

As we got more involved in the hobby of comics, our time around Michael increased. I could always walk up to Michael with a huge stack of books for him to sign and he would never even flinch or hesitate at signing them all. He would share moments with us as to why he drew what he was signing or the ideas he had when drawing them. Fortunately Michael surrounded himself with some really good people. People like Frank, Vince and Peter to name just a few. Whenever we would be getting ready for a show, Sharon and I would always talk about looking forward to seeing Michael and his crew again.

The last time we saw Michael was at Wizard World LA 2008 in March. We had heard that Michael would only be at the con for 1 day, so we waited for his arrival. When we saw him arriving in a wheelchair, our hearts just sunk. We knew he had to be a terrible pain because we knew Michael was a proud man and if that is what it took for him to get to his fans than that was what he would do. The line for Michael wrapped around the inside wall of the convention hall and I knew Michael was as happy to see his fans as his fans were to see him. As I watched Michael start to sign I could see the pain he was in as after signing a few books, he would stop, put his hands on the arms of the wheel chair, and readjust his postion to a spot less painful. But I knew that no matter how he moved around he was in tremendous pain. But Michael would not stop signing. He was bound and determined to sign for every fan that showed up to see him and that he did. It pained me to watch Michael make what turned out to be his last con appearance. And I thank God that I was there to see him and thank him for his time and his love to us all.

My heart goes out to Michael's family, friends and especially his crew. I knew everyone's heart is broken and sad with this tragic loss. Michael brought a feel, style and ayre to this hobby that can never been copied or replaced. June 27th, 2008 is the day that comic fans around the world lost a favorite son and truly a great person. Michael, you will be truly missed but you will always be in our hearts and minds. So it is with a heavy heart I say good bye to my friend Michael Turner, may you forever rest in peace.

Chandler and Sharon Rice

Las Vegas, Nevada

civil_war_1_aspen_ss98_5001.jpg

I have now listed this book on eBay, with 100% of the proceeds going to The Make-A-Wish Foundation in honor of Mike. Below is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150266031619&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

I encourage anyone who has anything that Mike has worked on for sale to donate at least a portion of the proceeds to one of Mike's designated charities, The Make-A-Wish Foundation and the American Cancer Society.

I have now listed this book on eBay, with 100% of the proceeds going to The Make-A-Wish Foundation in honor of Mike. Below is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150266031619&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

I encourage anyone who has anything that Mike has worked on for sale to donate at least a portion of the proceeds to one of Mike's designated charities, The Make-A-Wish Foundation and the American Cancer Society.

Change your auction title to 9.8! :gossip:

Nice book! :applause:

Where did it go?

As Pitboss pointed out, the auction title had the book listed as a 9.4. I was concerned that once the price got to a certain point, there would be some potential buyers that would not even look at the listing because they thought the price was too much for a 9.4, regardless of who signed it. Because there were already bids, I was unable to revise the listing in order to correct the error, and even after I canceled all bids, I was still unable to do so. I will be relisting the book tonight and will post the new link once I do.

when I saw this cover, I had to have it. I didn't even know who Michael Turner was at the time but I knew that this was one of my favorite covers I'd ever seen. I'm gonna miss his work. I was really looking forward to his take on Ultimate Wolverine.

GIJOE21_RENEGAR_CGCSS98_LRG.jpg

The first couple of auctions have ended (thanks to all of you that bid), and I have a few more that are for The Make-A-Wish Foundation. Links to the auctions and pictures are below:

superman_batman_26_ss98_001.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150266904739&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

identity_crisis_1_ss94_set.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150267903721&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

Michael Turner did this sketch for me at Wizard World Chicago in 2002. I rarely ever pay for sketches, I just ask the artists if they will sign my sketchbook, and if they do a drawing I consider it a bonus. When people are flipping through my sketchbook they invariably stop at this one and go "wow"! It was a thing of beauty to watch him draw it. The lines just flowed from his hand effortlessly like magic.

I'm not a sketch hound, I don't approach very many artists, only the ones whose work I greatly admire. This sketch has always been one of my favorites, and I will always treasure it.

turner.jpg