• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Computer Help Needed

3 posts in this topic

This board has helped me tremendously with problems with my computer in the past :applause:

I am in need of some more help...first off, I am very inexperienced with the computer...know how to turn it on and google... :)

I lent my laptop to my father-in-law who wanted to try it out before buying a computer...he finally bought one and had a router set up...he gave my laptop back to me and now I can't get internet access....neither wireless nor high-speed cable work (although it says excellent connection)...

Some one with a little computer skills told me to run IPCONFIG, which I did...

I went on the web and researched for the past 3-4 hours with no success....

Basically, in a nutshell, Media is disconnected, there is no IP address, DHCP is not connected, there is no or limited connectivity, etc....

Any help would be much appreciated...

I'll be out for the night, but will be checking back late tonight....thanks!

This board has helped me tremendously with problems with my computer in the past :applause:

I am in need of some more help...first off, I am very inexperienced with the computer...know how to turn it on and google... :)

I lent my laptop to my father-in-law who wanted to try it out before buying a computer...he finally bought one and had a router set up...he gave my laptop back to me and now I can't get internet access....neither wireless nor high-speed cable work (although it says excellent connection)...

Some one with a little computer skills told me to run IPCONFIG, which I did...

I went on the web and researched for the past 3-4 hours with no success....

Basically, in a nutshell, Media is disconnected, there is no IP address, DHCP is not connected, there is no or limited connectivity, etc....

Any help would be much appreciated...

I'll be out for the night, but will be checking back late tonight....thanks!

If he used the wireless connection, he probably entered a WPA password for his local connection. Are you reentering your own WPA key for your own WIFI network?

Check that he also hasn't disabled your WIFI access.

Have you connected a direct network cable to your notebook or is it always used as wireless?

This happened to my brother on his laptop when he was at a hotel. He logged on to the Hotel's internet access. When he got home, he couldn't access the internet. After checking, I discovered that it was still setup to connect to the Hotels internet instead of his home address. In the bottom right corner of your screen you should have a network icon. Right click on it and make sure the check mark is on your home access, not another one.