• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much attention do you pay to the auction listing?

14 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about the hard info like series, issue number, grade, scans, shipping, etc. I'm wondering how much attention you pay to the writing in the auction listing? Do you respond better to a well-written auction? Have you ever passed by an auction because it seemed like the person was nearly illiterate? Does hype sell you a book or does it turn you off?

I tend to put a lot of work into my listings, and I hope it pays off. Recently, I saw a completed auction for an issue I was about to list. The completed auction ended with no bids, priced at around $18, and the scan (decent-sized scan) looked like the book was structurally better than mine. I put my book up with a very detailed listing, giving synopses of the stories, comments on the design qualities of the cover, a detailed run-down of flaws, large scans of the front and back, etc. My copy, which wasn't as nice, sold for over $36.

There's no way to know for certain if it was the writing of the auction that did the trick, but I don't think it can be discounted. (they take me forever to write, so I'm actually hoping it does help). I guess I'm asking if any of you have ever been influenced by a well-written auction. Have you gotten caught up in wanting THAT copy simply because the auction itself made you feel it was a little more special than any others?

And yes, even after all this time, I'm still trying to figure out the mystery that is ebay.

-- Joanna

I am usually way turned off by obvious and multiple misspellings. Same for typos. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's just plain hard for me to read the info provided if it is very poorly written.

I am also turned off by complex graphical listings that take forever to load. I haven't got that kind of time.

The "hype" for me is all in my head - How badly do I want it? No amount of sales pitch will convince me to bid on a book that I don't want. Conversely, sometimes a bad listing won't chase me away from a book that I do want.

My biggest peeves are sellers that spend 1 line talking about the book and follow it up with a novel detailing all the terms, conditions, restrictions, personal absolutions, and threats should they deign to sell the book to you.

Maybe you are right. I personally write almost nothing except the title and putting a photo up and I personally do not like to read a lot.

One sentence and a photo is all I want, but I am pretty sure that many people like detailed decriptions.

My biggest peeves are sellers that spend 1 line talking about the book and follow it up with a novel detailing all the terms, conditions, restrictions, personal absolutions, and threats should they deign to sell the book to you.

Those drive me insane! Little to no information about the thing they're selling, just pages of rules, regulations, threats, etc. Why is that so common?? It's so off-putting.

Maybe you are right. I personally write almost nothing except the title and putting a photo up and I personally do not like to read a lot.

One sentence and a photo is all I want, but I am pretty sure that many people like detailed decriptions.

I always figured they could just not read it and go right to the scans. There is probably a segment of bidders who hate detailed descriptions. Never really thought about that since I hate the auctions without any information. Hmmm. Food for thought.

When viewing an auction list the only thing I am interested in is the book....I skim over the description only to find an explaination on the condition and grade of the book...I don't concern myself with much beyond that...

As far as why your book sold and the other guys did not... confused-smiley-013.gif..there are way too many factors to consider that to nail down the reasons why would be a godsend to many of us...consider these factors...

[*]Catagory

[*]Feedback

[*]Description

[*]Pic quality

[*]Time of day the listing ended

[*]Seller name recognition

[*]Shipping terms

....the list could go on and on..... crazy.gif

A well written description is very important. As important as layout in my opinion. In the examples you cite, it's quite evident what sold your comic. Having a detailed listing only gives the buyer that much more information to seize upon before deciding to make the purchase. I'm of the strong belief that MOST sales on eBay are of the "instinctive and casual buy" variety. Strong descriptions make that happen.

Jim

Have a desk calculator handy to figure out their feedback. A lot of people are put off by 99% or so, but that could happen to a guy with 100 or so total and 1 retaliatory neg. I wouldn't be put off by that.

With high feedback though, even 99% positive could mean dozens of negs. That would give me pause. Could they ALL be unjustified? If the book was iffy for me anyway, I might pass it over.

I like a well-written and honest description. Hype turns me off and I will ignore it or go elsewhere. When I say honest, I mean a description that lists the flaws of the book in a reasonable manner, not one that says "NM except for half the cover missing!" Since I'm mostly buying F-VF gold right now, I want a good idea of what the flaws are, not what the flaws aren''t.

Good scans are important. I'll pass on an auction without scans. Typos and grammtical mistakes make me question whether I want to do business with that person. I also glance at the seller's feedback and what else they have for sale.

I refuse to bid on any auction where the blink html or marguee html tag is used. I'm also put off on any auction that tries to use HTML but it ends up looking like some 2 year old using FrontPage for the first time (but i'm biased because Web work is what I do and love).

If you're going to use HTML code on your auctions, for the love of god don't use the blink tag, the marquee tag, or all caps. Also, bright pink and bright yellow colors are never, EVER, okay.

But all i really want is a description of shipping, defects, grade, and a nice scan. If the auction guy tries to say how wonderful a grader he is, i usually take a 2nd look and i might not bid.

Comedy gets me all the time...like that beanie baby auction posted by the divorced ex-husband...

On comics...here's what I look for. Top census, first app of..., classic battle cover, bondage cover, lesbian issue, good girl art, NM/MT and accurate photo to representing that condition

On searching for variants, I like to see the cover price clearly and the issue number, or seeing the month, year, issuem title in the description helps too...