• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on OA in the NYT

23 posts in this topic

The NYT couldn't have found a better guy to interview than DM as he makes a great spokesperson for this hobby.

I chuckled when reading how Jerry Weist indicated he was priced out of the market (at least for golden age and silver age art). I think most collectors feel this way. I guess he doesn't collect moderns.

It will be interesting to see what impact this article will have on this hobby. Will non-comic fans be drawn into collecting comic art (i.e., for investment) after reading the article?

Cheers!

N

It will be interesting to see what impact this article will have on this hobby. Will non-comic fans be drawn into collecting comic art (i.e., for investment) after reading the article?

In the last few years there have been stories about our hobby in such high-profile publications as PLAYBOY, LA Times, FORBES, MONEY (the latter two especially stressing the investment angle)...has there been any impact from those articles?

Is anyone here an OA collector as a result of reading those articles? Or know of anyone who got involved after they read about OA? Every OA collector I know was first a comic book enthusiast.

I have a hard believing any non-comic fans would start plunking down the kind of money this hobby now requires without any emotional investment or nostalgic interest JUST because they read an article in a newspaper or magazine. I read my paper everyday and on any given day, there'll be an article on some esoteric hobby...no matter how lucrative, I never had an interest in lunch boxes, bottle caps, vintage cars, etc.. I'm guessing the same is true for non-comics fans when it comes to OA.

Although I asked the question, I tend to agree with you.

I have seen stamp and coin collectors cross over into CGC high grade comics for purely investment reasons but never OA.

The tend to have limited knowledge of comics but keep their purchases to key issues such as first appearances. They flip the CGC books fairly quickly. Buying OA would require them to do additional research or hold onto the art for more than a year which they are not inclined to do.

Cheers!

N

In the last few years there have been stories about our hobby in such high-profile publications as PLAYBOY, LA Times, FORBES, MONEY (the latter two especially stressing the investment angle)...has there been any impact from those articles?

Is anyone here an OA collector as a result of reading those articles? Or know of anyone who got involved after they read about OA? Every OA collector I know was first a comic book enthusiast.

I have a hard believing any non-comic fans would start plunking down the kind of money this hobby now requires without any emotional investment or nostalgic interest JUST because they read an article in a newspaper or magazine. I read my paper everyday and on any given day, there'll be an article on some esoteric hobby...no matter how lucrative, I never had an interest in lunch boxes, bottle caps, vintage cars, etc.. I'm guessing the same is true for non-comics fans when it comes to OA.

Having participated in a few of these interviews, I tend to believe that they don't bring in new collectors or investors, but rather legitimize our hobby/collectible to the wider audience of collectors. In other words, this is publicity that we exist.

Seeing an article on coin collectors doesn't necessarily want to make me go out and collect coins, but it certainly solidifies coin collecting's place among the variety of possible collectibles out there. I think that's, for the most part, what these articles do. I think it's healthy for the hobby.

I think for the right person seeing such an article may just cause something to click. They may never have been exposed to it and seeing it & talking about it as an "investment" may just cause it to all come together. But the other pieces have to be in place beforehand.

While there are certain peoples whose position is that people wont pay millions for men in tights,...I think they are going to be proven wrong. Thus far, the trend is in the OA markets favour. WE ARE BIGGER THAN U.S. STEEL.

So why don't you ever put your money where your mouth is, PP?