• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My comics

474 posts in this topic

Not sure how you're meaning "decent," (speaking of collectibility or readability?) but I'd suggest that the best of the 80s independents would include:

- Nexus by Baron & Rude

- American Flagg! by Chaykin

- Rocketeer by Dave Stephens, and of course

- Miracleman by Alan Moore.

Hear hear for the Dave Stevens (sp?) Rocketeer work - the stories were good, the art was tremendous, and he certainly brought Bettie Page to the attention of a whole new audience (even though her name in the comics was slightly different, as I recall).

For me, the other '80s independent stuff that falls under the 'best of' heading would include

- Concrete (great Chadwick icon, btw, Bonds !)

- Flaming Carrot

- Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman

The Amazons invented a diving suit that is invisible (or transparent, depending on the issue) and completely covers the body. Oxygen is taken from the water and converted into air inside the suit to make it possible to stay underwater indefinitely. She can also hold her breath for a long time, but for any extended stay underwater, she wears the Amazon diving skin.

-- Joanna

Those Amazons and their invisible stuff, planes and underwater gear. Can they see the invisible? Can they make anything invisible? Is it from magical means or scientific?

Yes, they appeared quite adept at seeing the invisible things. I'm not sure if they can make anything invisible, it was never discussed. The methods were scientific. The Amazons had tons of scientific inventions. However, this was a changeable thing, as there was a lot of magic-based stuff in the golden age that was later retconned to scientific in the silver age.

Amazons were fond of saying, "'Impossible' is not in the Amazon dictionary" which was a great excuse for them to be able to do just about anything, impossible or not.

-- Joanna