• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on The Mile High Collection

26 posts in this topic

This one sold for $2,375, including juice, in 2004, beating my bid.

One beautiful book isn't it Dan? :luhv:

CC

Tell me about it. That's a gorgeous book. My bid was $2000, which was 5X the then top OS. Win some, lose some.

"An interesting sidebar to this story is that Mr. Church was apparently the first person in the history of comics to have his issues reserved for him! He had one copy of every comic printed put aside for him by his local newsstand starting with ACTION COMICS #1

Does anyone know if the Larson Action #1 has his name on the cover, or any prior Larson book? He started buying in '36, so it's possible he beat old Edgar to the punch as the first person to have his books reserved for him.

Before Chuck made his catalog he sold most of the EC MH's to one individual who took most of them. There are many EC's on Chucks list but that was after they were picked over.

West

"An interesting sidebar to this story is that Mr. Church was apparently the first person in the history of comics to have his issues reserved for him! He had one copy of every comic printed put aside for him by his local newsstand starting with ACTION COMICS #1

Does anyone know if the Larson Action #1 has his name on the cover, or any prior Larson book? He started buying in '36, so it's possible he beat old Edgar to the punch as the first person to have his books reserved for him.

The Larson Action 1 apparently has the same "79" code written on the cover as Win's Action 7.

As for the Mile High ECs, Burrell got all the nice ones in his original purchase. The very first Mile High I ever saw was International Crime #1. It was sitting on top of the first stack at Burrell's house and it was un- :censored: -believable. I do not think that there were complete runs but over the years many were sold through Camelot as just high grade comics (remember, prior to 1981 or so "Mile High Collection" wasn't a widely known thing and Burrell didn't consider them anything other than really nice books). I believe that Burrell sold his EC collection to Geppi, along with the Planet run and others, in 1982-83 as he was getting out of comic collecting.

The Larson Action 1 apparently has the same "79" code written on the cover as Win's Action 7.

As for the Mile High ECs, Burrell got all the nice ones in his original purchase. The very first Mile High I ever saw was International Crime #1. It was sitting on top of the first stack at Burrell's house and it was un- :censored: -believable. I do not think that there were complete runs but over the years many were sold through Camelot as just high grade comics (remember, prior to 1981 or so "Mile High Collection" wasn't a widely known thing and Burrell didn't consider them anything other than really nice books). I believe that Burrell sold his EC collection to Geppi, along with the Planet run and others, in 1982-83 as he was getting out of comic collecting.

VERY VERY interesting. Thanks.

CC