• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on The Mile High Collection

26 posts in this topic

If I remember correctly, Edgar Church started buying comics second hand in the 1950's, so many of his comics from that era are not high grade. In the 1930's and 1940's he was buying new comics direct from newsdealers, and stashing them away unread. In the 1950's he stopped doing this and started buying used comics.

If I remember correctly, Edgar Church started buying comics second hand in the 1950's, so many of his comics from that era are not high grade. In the 1930's and 1940's he was buying new comics direct from newsdealers, and stashing them away unread. In the 1950's he stopped doing this and started buying used comics.

Thank you so much for the information. I still take it they are part of Chucks find, and are still considered part of the Mile High Collection? :foryou:

CC

Yes, they would still be considered "Mile high" copies from the Edgar Church collection, but I'm actually not sure how many EC's there were. Is there a list of all of the comics in the original Mile High collection on the internet any where? If so, I'm not aware of it.

Here is a related quote from Chuck Rozanski's "Tales the the Database":

"An interesting sidebar to this story is that Mr. Church was apparently the first person in the history of comics to have his issues reserved for him! He had one copy of every comic printed put aside for him by his local newsstand starting with ACTION COMICS #1 (that book is even marked very lightly in pencil with his name!) in 1938. Prior to 1938 he purchased all his comics from a half-price magazine store. As near as I could tell, his comics subscriptions were active from 1938-1953, when he retired from Mountain Bell. He then purchased comics used for about another five years, before giving up entirely. It was based upon my inspection of those 1953-1958 used comics by which I made my original bid for the collection "

Actually...Chuck has a link on his home page www.milehighcomics.com in which he posts the original sales list, circa 1977 with a list of MOST of the collection with the prices he was asking.There are probably 40 or more pages and a slow download....but WELL worth the time.The list does not include the issues that were sold to Bruce Hamilton and Burrel Rowe to recoup his original investment.Those were sold at double guide if memory serves me.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not sure if this is helpful but Heritage sold the Mile High Mad #1 and #3.

The #1 sold for $1,495 in 2002 - CGC 3.0 white pages - Their description states, "Even though this copy comes from the Mile High collection, it appears to have sustained some significant wear, including long creases and some soiling to the back cover. Edgar Church must have really enjoyed reading this one!"

The #3 sold for $298.75 in 2007 - CGC 4.5 off-white pages.

The #1 sold for $1,495 in 2002 - CGC 3.0 white pages - Their description states, "Even though this copy comes from the Mile High collection, it appears to have sustained some significant wear, including long creases and some soiling to the back cover. Edgar Church must have really enjoyed reading this one!"

Oh.. :o

CC

Whoever owns the MAD #1 Church Book @ CGC 3.0 I'm willing to pay 2k+ for it. So come out from hiding. :hi:

Andrew

1.jpg

The post 53 books are primarily Westerns and many of the ones that I've seen are actually in similar to condition to the earlier 50s books -- unread/unhandled. These issues are very unlikely to have been purchased used. There was, however, a sale of a number of mid/lower grade copies on eBay within the last year and those I can believe to have been purchased used.

A couple examples:

Western56-1.jpg

CongoBill5Church-1.jpg

I wonder if Chuck still has the Menace 1-6 and the Venus 15-19. I'd be glad to buff the warehouse floor and empty waste buckets for as long as it would take.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u