• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #1 OA (the Jim Lee kind) sells...

25 posts in this topic

On the laptop at the airport where I just saw on ComicArt-L that Bill Woo just sold the complete X-Men #1 interiors (the Jim Lee ones from 1991) to Thomas Fish. I thought it was pretty cool that someone else now gets the chance to own it; too often it seems like the best pieces are buried in permanent collections.

Discuss amongst yourselves. hm

I saw the original post too and I think that while Jim Lee is a good artist, very popular, I don't really see the value here. I am sure it was big bucks for this stuff, as Tom and Bill play in the BSD league, but the value here is pure nostalgia. I don't have any for the X Men in general, and this audience is the same as for McFarlane Spiderman...which I actually prefer. Not because Todd M. was/is a better artist, but because his Spider-man was just cool to look at.....

I liked Lee's work on X-Men when it came out, but I think it looks, well, "very 90s" now. They're not art or stories I would personally care to go back and revisit, but, still, to own the original art to the best selling comic of all-time still says something.

What's even more surprising though, shocking even, is that I just looked at Tom Fish's CAF gallery and he pried away the ASM #42 "Face it, Tiger - you just hit the jackpot!" first MJ page away from Mike Burkey! I thought that was Mike's grail of grails? Crazy...if that page had a price to it, I guess just about everything does...my world is spinning...nothing makes sense anymore... :P

What's even more surprising though, shocking even, is that I just looked at Tom Fish's CAF gallery and he pried away the ASM #42 "Face it, Tiger - you just hit the jackpot!" first MJ page away from Mike Burkey! I thought that was Mike's grail of grails? Crazy...if that page had a price to it, I guess just about everything does...my world is spinning...nothing makes sense anymore... :P

Grail today . . . gone tomorrow. (shrug)

lol you said it, although I don't think this was one of those cases. bill held that for a long time did he not? Since that auction back when?

**any ideas/ publication as to sale price?

OT, But any ideas what a nice clock like this would go for?

shill.jpg

In case you havent been paying attention.......

Ive been vindicated.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2471191&page=1#Post2471191

Vintage-style Clocks are the next big thing....like Tulips we should build our economy around them.

C

I liked Lee's work on X-Men when it came out, but I think it looks, well, "very 90s" now. They're not art or stories I would personally care to go back and revisit, but, still, to own the original art to the best selling comic of all-time still says something.

Exactly !....It hasn't "aged well" as say Neal Adams, Sternako or Romita, Sr. They're art is still timeless. Sort of like Citizen Kane and Casablanca.

Citizen Kane was trend setting, broke all the rules, but hasn't held up. Casablanca, in my opinion is timeless. It was a great movie back in 1942 and is still one of the greatest ever.....

Now, talking about that MJ page. I saw he had posted it a few days ago and I don't know if anyone remembers when Burkey first posted that he had gotten it, but he had traded a whole bunch of stuff to get it !...

Exactly !....It hasn't "aged well" as say Neal Adams, Sternako or Romita, Sr. They're art is still timeless. Sort of like Citizen Kane and Casablanca.

Citizen Kane was trend setting, broke all the rules, but hasn't held up. Casablanca, in my opinion is timeless. It was a great movie back in 1942 and is still one of the greatest ever.....

Now, talking about that MJ page. I saw he had posted it a few days ago and I don't know if anyone remembers when Burkey first posted that he had gotten it, but he had traded a whole bunch of stuff to get it !...

Mike's entry price for that item my records state "$34,068". I am willing to bet Mike got high 5 figures for him to have decided to sell.

I agree the X-Men #1 hasn't aged well. I flipped through the X-Men #1 comic, and after re-visiting it again, I wouldn't want any art from that book. If that book went for what I think it did, I would rather have the unbroken X-Men #1 by Kirby or even the TOS #39 art that someone wanted 760k for...both are timeless and historic. Jim Lee's X-Men #1 screams "Fad" almost as much as X-Force #1.

On the other hand, what is the big deal on Burkey's parting with the MJ page...? I would have dumped it too...he knew the page was overvalued and parted with it at the right time.

I agree the X-Men #1 hasn't aged well. I flipped through the X-Men #1 comic, and after re-visiting it again, I wouldn't want any art from that book.

On the other hand, I remember the Lee/X-Men fondly. I think it represents its time and the madness that was swirling about comics and collecting when it came out. I'd love a page from the book.

I agree the X-Men #1 hasn't aged well. I flipped through the X-Men #1 comic, and after re-visiting it again, I wouldn't want any art from that book. If that book went for what I think it did, I would rather have the unbroken X-Men #1 by Kirby or even the TOS #39 art that someone wanted 760k for...both are timeless and historic. Jim Lee's X-Men #1 screams "Fad" almost as much as X-Force #1.

On the other hand, what is the big deal on Burkey's parting with the MJ page...? I would have dumped it too...he knew the page was overvalued and parted with it at the right time.

The "right time" to part with OA has been predicted before and turned out to be incorrect. In this environment,..where dollars are becoming junkier every day,...its hard to say selling now IS the smart move. Even Deli might be out of a job and is forced to the roulette table to make some monies.

More for the content than anything. It is a pretty historic page. Sometimes people take a liking to a phrase and it just clings. Think Terminator "I'll be back". It has to be up there with the most well known statements in all of comics. Even casual collectors who wouldn't know the art with words removed know this phrase.

Definitely agree that it represents perhaps one of the major peaks in this hobby, in terms of collector craze, and for that reason alone the pages are worth something. But, I also agree that Lee's art was definitely of a different "era" that doesn't hold up in today's market. I'd be interested in a page, but probably at 10% of what they would be marketed at now.

Yes, but looks like he also sells high-end art. He just moved one of his McFarlane Spidey covers, presumably to help fund the X-Men 1 purchase. There are only a few people in this hobby who continue to buy super high-end art without having to sell other pieces in their collection. Those are the only guys who truly are "always on the lookout for high-end art."