• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WARNING: Ebay scammer buddha_comics

42 posts in this topic

OK, this guy's trying the old "comics are over-graded, I want a large partial refund or I leave naughty FB" scam:

Glenn Taylor, buddha_comics, wins three old Avengers, sends me a MO, I sent comics, then I get this email:

Comics Recieved:

Hello Stu

I got the Avengers 5, 7, 11 today. I cannot say that it is a bad deal, but the grading is way off. The 11 is closest to the actual grade. It is more like VG- or VG.

The 5 is VG or VG+, not Fine.

The 7 is only VG, nowhere near the Fine+/VF- you stated.

Still, it is a fair deal for me, as I paid a little less than retail. I saw the scans, and they did not show some of the defects, like the water spots on the 11, the crease all the way down the center of the 7, or the excessive spine wear on all.

I am not unhappy, and I did get free shipping, but I am not 100% satisfied, either.

Thanks

Glenn

My response:

Hello Glenn,

I'm disappointed to hear you feel the comics were overgraded. This is a complaint I've rarely encountered but, luckily, I know how to remedy it. Please ship the lot back and I will provide a full refund (including shipping costs).

Thanks,

--Stu

His response:

Stu

It's OK. The deal was fair, just not what I expected. If I send the books back and get a refund, then I spend all of this time and effort for nothing. And I lose the return shipping fee.

I will just bid on CGC books from now on. No one else knows how to grade.

Goodbye.

I didn't respond to this, I just figured there was little else to offer the buyer at this point.

Then he sends this:

Hello again Stu

Upon further examination, and close inspection I am satisfied with the Avengers 5 and the Avengers 11.

However, the spine is split on the Avengers 7. It has a slight split at the top, but it is also split from the top of the lower staple all the way down the comic.

Here is my proposal to rectify the problem:

Maybe I could get a partial refund on the Avengers 7? Maybe $20-$30? I paid over $50, and it guides for about $30 in good, which is all that it is. If it would have been even VG I would have been cool with it.

I could send it back, but the problem is that it is about 114 degrees outside, and I am trying to avoid being outside as much as possible. Not to mention that my work schedule is excessive right now, and to take the time to go to the post office for a mistake that I did not make just doesn't seem right to me.

Let me know what you think.

Glenn

He sent this on the evening of July 3rd. We were gone for the holiday until last night so he sends this:

Hello again Stu

I didn't get a reply from you, so here is the message again.

I am getting ready to leave feedback, and will proceed accordingly.

Upon further examination, and close inspection I am satisfied with the Avengers 5 and the Avengers 11.

However, the spine is split on the Avengers 7. It has a slight split at the top, but it is also split from the top of the lower staple all the way down the comic.

Here is my proposal to rectify the problem:

Maybe I could get a partial refund on the Avengers 7? Maybe $20-$30? I paid over $50, and it guides for about $30 in good, which is all that it is. If it would have been even VG I would have been cool with it.

I could send it back, but the problem is that it is about 114 degrees outside, and I am trying to avoid being outside as much as possible. Not to mention that my work schedule is excessive right now, and to take the time to go to the post office for a mistake that I did not make just doesn't seem right to me.

Let me know what you think.

Glenn

buddha_comics

My response to the first one:

Hello Glenn,

Please send the 7 back, I'll issue a full refund (including your postage) upon its return. Since eBay switched to the new FB rules, sellers have seen an exponential rise in the amount of scamming via feedback hostaging, so this is the solution that seems fair to me. I realize it is somewhat cookie-cutter, but it's working so well so far. Given the heat-wave you're under, I'll leave the time-frame for the book's return at your convenience, no 14 days or any of that mess.

Thanks,

--Stu

And my response to the second one:

It's always nice to return from a family vacation over a national holiday to what could be construed as an eBay Feedback threat. Please decide what you want to do. I stand by my grading and also acknowledge that I may have made a mistake -- That's what the 100% refund is for. Please note my feedback thus far and if you still think I don't grade within 1/4 grade of CGC 95% of the time after reading it, I don't know how else to convince you.

Please send the book back at your convenience for a full refund.

--Stu

His response:

Please send your address, and I will return the 7.

I don't know what feedback threat or whatever you are talking about.

I buy from the same sellers over and over and over. Look at my feedback.

The only ones I don't buy from again are the ones who do not know how to grade.

I have been professionally grading comics since 1993, and have been grading overall since 1978. There is no way under any circumstances that this 7 would be above 2.0 good.

Ebay changed the feedback rules because any time a buyer would leave negative feedback for a seller, the sellers would ALMOST ALWAYS retaliate with negative feedback for the buyer. This was most true for comic sellers/buyers. The way it is now, a seller can go after a buyer who does not pay. That is it. Why else should a buyer get negative feedback?

As for other ebay policies, sellers who list an item, and send an item that is different or lesser than described are violating the contract, and, in my opinion, should be banned from ebay the first time they do so.

Anyway, as far as you coming back from a long weekend, blah, blah, blah, I don't care.

My time has been wasted, and it can NEVER be returned or repayed.

Oh, and by the way, A REFUND IS NOT A FULFILLMENT OF THE CONTRACT.

I'll get it mailed soon.

Glenn

He leaves me three negatives.

So now I get just a wee bit pissed and go all QPQ on his arse:

Thanks for the undeserved negatives. I'll proceed accordingly.

A review of your account shows that this is hardly the first time you've had this trouble either communicating with a seller or overreacting to not getting your way, Glenn.

Again, I stand behind my grading and my Feedback shows this.

"The only ones I don't buy from again are the ones who do not know how to grade.

I have been professionally grading comics since 1993, and have been grading overall since 1978. There is no way under any circumstances that this 7 would be above 2.0 good."

I'm glad you've stuck with the hobby this long. I've been in since 1979 and hold seven patents pending on processes and devices to detect restoration and alteration to comics. This includes detecting when the alteration occurred, something I learned to do when someone tried to switch books on me then spitefully ruined a GS Uncanny X-Men #1 before returning the actually copy. Turns out this is actually quite easy to catch with the right equipment, but I digress . . .

"Ebay changed the feedback rules because any time a buyer would leave negative feedback for a seller, the sellers would ALMOST ALWAYS retaliate with negative feedback for the buyer. This was most true for comic sellers/buyers. The way it is now, a seller can go after a buyer who does not pay. That is it. Why else should a buyer get negative feedback?"

How about when that buyer attempts to harass and/or threaten to leave Feedback unrepresentative of the seller's items and services in an illegal attempt to get an undeserved refund? I think that would merit at least a negative.

"As for other ebay policies, sellers who list an item, and send an item that is different or lesser than described are violating the contract, and, in my opinion, should be banned from ebay the first time they do so."

So you are a lawyer? Please tell me how my refunding your $ plus return shipping when you're unsatisfied is a BOC? It appears the only thing you can consistently find fault with is the fact that you want a refund AND keep the merchandise and you're angry that I won't play ball with you.

"Anyway, as far as you coming back from a long weekend, blah, blah, blah, I don't care.

My time has been wasted, and it can NEVER be returned or repayed."

Rude and arrogant. I seriously doubt the time living in your parent's basement is ever anything other than wasted. This is a snide, innane insult from someone who believes their anonymity on-line will lead to no repercussions (such as being blocked from multiple seller's lists or removal from eBay altogether.)

"Oh, and by the way, A REFUND IS NOT A FULFILLMENT OF THE CONTRACT."

But a partial one would have been? It appears you are not fully capable of understanding what a contract is: Are you underage? Should I be speaking with your mother instead of you to resolve this?

The facts are this:

First you claim that all the books are overgraded and you are unhappy.

I offered a full refund plus shipping.

You refused, because it was "too hot to go outside." You wanted a partial refund.

I again offered a full refund plus shipping.

Then you changed your mind and decided that two of the three were suddenly correctly graded, but still wanted a partial refund on the highest priced book (amazing coincidence, that.)

I offered a full refund on the one you were unhappy with again, plus shipping. I explained why I no longer do partial refunds.

You promptly sent the last email, which I promptly forwarded to eBay, along with all the others.

So to be totally fair, I offer you again a complete refund on all the books, once they are returned to me in the same condition I sent them in. If you only want to send the 7 back, that too is fine and I will accommodate with the appropriate refund. Any combination of the above is fine with me.

Please ship as I did, between a card-board sandwich and in a box.

--Stu

So, sellers might want to block buddha_comics, he's a whack-job.

*Update*

I've since gotten these emails from Glenn:

You can think what you want.

You DID rip me off.

I have NEVER scammed ANYONE in my life, and because you accuse me of it, that alone deserves the negative feedback. Accusing someone of a criminal action IS a criminal action.

If you EVER contact me again, through e-mail, ebay, or ANY OTHER WAY, I will call the police.

*SQUEE* YOU *SQUEE*

I *SQUEE* on your mother's soul

AND

I never requested a refund and the books. I have all the messages.

Who put you up to this.

Not only do I wipe my *SQUEE* with your mother's soul, I *SQUEE*, and vomit on your soul, your entire families soul, and everyone of the same religion as yours soul 999 zillion times for every penny you got from me.

You are a terrorist *SQUEE*, and *SQUEE* You to Jesus for making me share my life with you.

Not only do I wipe my *SQUEE* with your mother's soul, I *SQUEE*, *spoon* and vomit on your soul, your entire families soul, and everyone of the same religion as yours soul 999 zillion times for every penny you got from me.

You are a terrorist *SQUEE*, and *SQUEE* You to Jesus for making me share my life with you.

That is seriously the best ebay email I've ever seen - he's squeeing you to jesus!

Thanks for sharing (thumbs u

That's got to be a new name for a bad apple...he's not been around that long, but seems to know the ropes...I gladly added him to my blocked list. Sorry you had to deal with him

Perhaps with all these hidden IDs, we need to start SHARING blocked bidder lists...?

I'd be up for that. I've only got a few on my block-list though. A vast majority of people on there are still great buyers and sellers.

Come to think of it, I've added most of the blocked ID since the FB change. :sumo:

Couple of things. I think you overreacted to him mentioning he was getting ready to leave feedback.

You have him pegged, he is a nut, but if you kicked up your diplomacy I think you could have spared yourself this grief.

His feedback received and given over the years is not that different from plenty of other "nuts" on Ebay.

The other thing is I have no sympathy for him, because you posted nice big scans, but there is no way looking at that #7 scan I see a F+/VF-. I don't think his initial request for a refund was warranted, but you should have mentioned that your full refund offer didn't even account for your time and listing fees either. Maybe try to meet people in the middle.

Put it behind you, there's nothing you can gain from the grief. Hang in there.

(thumbs u

ebay/paypal sux nowadays.

I have heard people buy things.....

complain that they dont like the item....

send an empty box back to the seller......

and than do a chargeback.

They than cite the tracking # on the empty box to [mandatory] paypal and are protected.

Again.....ebay sux.

NEVER sell anything of value on that god-forsaken site.

I'm glad you've stuck with the hobby this long. I've been in since 1979 and hold seven patents pending on processes and devices to detect restoration and alteration to comics. This includes detecting when the alteration occurred, something I learned to do when someone tried to switch books on me then spitefully ruined a GS Uncanny X-Men #1 before returning the actually copy. Turns out this is actually quite easy to catch with the right equipment, but I digress . . .

This is very interesting! Can you share any more info on these processes and devices?

Wow, dude...

CRAZY!

I had a guy harass the hell out of me over a Adv. of Superman 500 on ebay...I mean, to the point of him still sending me emails almost 2 months later!

So with the advent of the internet, NOBODY is difficult to find these days.

I found him...placed a personal call to his house (which surprised the HELL out of him that I knew his real name, address, everything) and proceeded to let him know that if I got one more email from his account, his local police dept. would be paying him a visit.

NEVER heard from him again.

Anyway...thanks for the heads up, I'm blocking this buyer right now.

this community rocks.

The nature of the purchaser's response given the name of this comic book company is rich in irony.

Let us all now put our palms together and bow slightly in greetings of peace.

This is very intersting! Can you share any more info on these processes and devices?

Give me a bit of time to type up the sordid tale and I'll bore you to death with it.

(thumbs u

The nature of the purchaser's response given the name of this comic book company is rich in irony.

Let us all now put our palms together and bow slightly in greetings of peace.

So true. So if I met the Buddha on the road, what should I have done? (shrug)