• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comico founder Phil Lasorda dies

6 posts in this topic

Elementals 3 was a big book for me. The first convention I ever went to was a tiny little selling show in a big room at a Ramada Inn, Grand Rapids, MI. Near the back of the room someone had a spinner rack and Elementals 3 must've just come out because it was near the top of the rack and the cover just blew me away. It seemed so "modern" and so non-Marvel in a way.

I always liked the company and just to me personally, they are behind only FIrst as the companies of the early 80s that mattered to me.

Sad news. Comico put out some great books including MAGE, GRENDEL, JOHNNY QUEST, and more. Check out the comment thread:

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2008/07/03/rip-phil-lasorda/

A must read for 80's indie comics history.

Comico was great, and he gave a lot of good artists/writers their start. Fond memories of those days and many of those books! Loved the Mage series, Grendel and Elementals.