• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warren Back copies

7 posts in this topic

I wonder what the back issue magazine collectors market would be like if Warren hadn't filed as many copies as they did. Issues from the 60s and 70s are downright common so it is a bit of a buzz kill when high grade classics in Creepy and Eerie sell for $20 a piece or less. Creepy #1 is a consistent $50 book maybe $100 in VFNM etc. Sure the 9.8's will get the $1000+ but thats just the point is there are hardcore collectors willing to pay up but rarity on the supply side is the issue holding prices down.

So does this cause all magazines in general to get the short shift in terms of values. That no name horror comics became all the rage with little to no spillover into magazines was strange IMO. Warrens are the first place to go. And with Skywalds and others legitimately tough to find, their prices don't reflect their scarcity. Did the lack of price jumps and speculation/buyer craziness keep collectors out of this market? Or is it always one that will never really catch on with the comic "purists"

Ed

Tha magazines will always be second class citizens to comics. There are just far fewer mag collectors than comic collectors so demand is limited, thus lower prices. And I'm quite happy for this.

I think the key is to compare these prices to other magazines from the era....Life, Playboy, Sports Illustrated.....and you wil see they sell for very nice prices. Just don't compare them to comic books, a different beast altogther.

I agree with you cd4ever that magazines are treated like second class citizens, but I also agree that it is to our benefit that they are. At least if you aren't looking to retire on the earnings from them. I am artist and have several artist friends, and pretty much all of them were Warren horror magazine addicts, and were literally raised on the art and stories featured in them. Frazetta covers to die for, as well as artists like Jones, Wrightson, Adams, Maroto, Sanjulian, and on and on, you just cannot find comic books that have this diversity and quality of work. I'm not even going to begin to list the writers as well (ok, Roy Thomas, happy now!)

I truly think that some day these magazines will be recognized for this, but like everything in life, there are no guarantees, so it's best to buy what makes you happy and if it works out you hit it big someday, well, that's just dandy. :wishluck:

I constantly read the GA blogs to get a sense of what the big-boys are looking at, and "CLASSIC" covers are all the rage and bringing big bucks (some collectors don't even read the books). What will happen when one day everyone wakes up and realizes that Frazetta did tons of Warren horror mags and they didn't bother to get them when they were cheap?

We're all going to have a good laugh -:roflmao:- if and when that day comes, that is...

I agree with you cd4ever that magazines are treated like second class citizens, but I also agree that it is to our benefit that they are. At least if you aren't looking to retire on the earnings from them. I am artist and have several artist friends, and pretty much all of them were Warren horror magazine addicts, and were literally raised on the art and stories featured in them. Frazetta covers to die for, as well as artists like Jones, Wrightson, Adams, Maroto, Sanjulian, and on and on, you just cannot find comic books that have this diversity and quality of work. I'm not even going to begin to list the writers as well (ok, Roy Thomas, happy now!)

I truly think that some day these magazines will be recognized for this, but like everything in life, there are no guarantees, so it's best to buy what makes you happy and if it works out you hit it big someday, well, that's just dandy. :wishluck:

I constantly read the GA blogs to get a sense of what the big-boys are looking at, and "CLASSIC" covers are all the rage and bringing big bucks (some collectors don't even read the books). What will happen when one day everyone wakes up and realizes that Frazetta did tons of Warren horror mags and they didn't bother to get them when they were cheap?

We're all going to have a good laugh -:roflmao:- if and when that day comes, that is...

(tsk) Quiet!

This makes too much sense. Now delete your post before prices skyrocket.