• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Rickdogg

16 posts in this topic

I think I heard you say you love hip hop. Even if you don't like him as a person, Eminem's new movie 8 mile is just unbelievable. Go check it out, some of those freestyles are almost as good as Shaheed's.

Brian

I'm about as whitebread and out of touch with hype as you can get. Didn't see the film, but listened to a bunch of his music tonight for the first time. I don't usually like country or rap for roughly the same reason--they both often wallow in negativity. With country it's cheatin', drinkin', and brawlin', whereas with rap it's racism and violence. Although I know there are artists in both genres that overcome all that.

I haven't heard Eminem overcome the worst things about rap--until the title song from the soundtrack to this film. Seems like he's either trying to appeal to the mainstream as PR for the film, or hopefully, he's getting control of his ego and trying to turn his talent into art.

And , there's no denying the talent! I've never heard a musical artist with such tight aesthetic control over his voice. The content of most of his songs is absolute [!@#%^&^], but he's got a mastery of assonance, consonance, and rhyme that I'm not sure any printed poet in human history could overshadow. In the songs he's done with Dre, although Dre and he have roughly the same lyrical skill, Eminem just lows him away in the tonal quality of his voice. He sounds incredible.

The collected reviews at movies.com agree with you guys--10 positives, 0 negatives, and 5 mixed so far.

The thing I like about eminem is that he raps about his life & doesn't mind telling it like it is. Although he says some crazy sometimes, I believe some of his more "extreme" lyrics reflect what someone in that situation would "think" of doing. What can I say...I love the guy! tongue.gif A+++ MOVIE!

I'm trying to convince greggy to watch it HAHAHAH! laugh.gif

I don't doubt the songs reflect his life, but his life apparently is mostly [!@#%^&^]. A lot of his songs just seem to wallow in the [!@#%^&^], and he smears it all over himself and everybody else he can think of. His wife, parents, fans, Britney Spears, black people, white people, other rappers, etc. Yet the songs sound so incredibly good that it's easy to not even care about what he's saying in them and get caught up in the arrogance and love the feeling! He's a great singer!

"Lose yourself" is the first one I've heard where he's actually trying to overcome his own [!@#%^&^] life to help himself and his fans. It's the best song I've heard from him on a lot of levels.

Ive met him before. Nice guy in person,when your not bugging him for an autograph. He lives a couple of miles up the road from me. He dont live in a traila park no more!

That was an excellent movie, I went to it again smile.gif. I do think the movie needed to last about 20 min longer, the ending kinda left you hanging which isn't a good thing with this type of movie. Regardless, he can really act.

As far as rapping goes, he raps about what he knows..and what he knows is his life. That's why all his stuff is so grimey..that's why a lot of rappers stuff is like that..you have to remember the majority of these guys are coming straight out of the Ghetto. Anyways, I've been to some battles in Chicago before and I've NEVER seen anyone THAT good. They're saying his last freestyle in the movie was truly done on the fly. After seeing that, I'd love to see Eminem battle Shaheed, Canibus, Freeway, Rakim, or any good lyrical artist. I hadn't the slightest clue he was on the level with skills like that..it gave me a totally new respect for the guy..this is the first white rapper that's for real.

Brian

I bought his album from day one since Dr. Dre had his back on aftermath. I am a huge fan of Dre & snoop Dogg so whoever they role with is cool with me. wink.gif I have all 3 Eminem albums with my favorite being his second. My all time fav song is "Stan" about the overly obsessed fan! Truly original! The scribbles in the background, the sound of rain, and Dido's voice in the chorus blend together magically. I think I have to pick up the 8 Mile soundtrack now becuase I heard Wu-Tang Clan, Biggie, 2pac and all of the other artists that demand respect in the movie. tongue.gif Eminem is here to stay folks! grin.gif

I love his latest album.

The guy has unbelieveable talent, and his caustic lyrics make you listen, like being drawn to a train wreck. I'll be seeing the movie - probably alone, as I doubt the wife will want to go.

I'm not much of an Eminem fan, but he does have the... *ahem*..."skills to pay the bills". His freestyle battle vs Juice is an underground classic. Em came up with this gem in that battle: "Where'd you get that wack style from? You couldn't sell two copies if you pressed a double album!". lol.

Supa,

what do you mean rocky? confused.gif All I have to say is watch it. NOW! It's pretty good. It surprises me b/c my sister came over today & even asked me about the movie and said that she might watch it herself. SHE HATES RAP! shocked.gif

ahhhh that's what I initially thought. Anyways, I guess it is "rocky" like in a sense, although I don't remember Rocky too well. This description of the movie is pretty accurate. Check the movie out it's not the typical "rap" movie wink.gif