• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MUSEUMS - Sold/Donated Your Comics? List them, (the museums) please.

21 posts in this topic

I sold a Charlton War Heroes, (P.T. 109) to a John F. Kennedy, (JFK) museum in Belgium. (They thanked me in a formal form letter.)

Also, a (Gold Key) Tom, and Harry w/an ice cream cone cover to an Ice Cream Museum in Florida.

There are several others I cannot remember off the top of my head.

I've always thought of bequeathing my collection to the U. of S. FL. since my family cares nothing for my obsession/addiction.

(I mentioned it, once, in a thread, here, and was lambasted by Jerk Collector.)

Tom, *spoon* and Harry

:roflmao:

First Pontoon and now this... That silly filter!

Sort of related, I sold a set of Power Rangers Action figures NIB to a Toy museum in Indiana. Purchased by them off of eBay.

Also, I've sold a number of comics to contributors to the GCD, like selegue, that (hopefully) were used to populate the index.

I have not sold any to a museum but I and other board members did loan some items to the Montclair Art Museum.

As far as bequeathing comic to a university you might want to be aware that they don't always treat donations (of any kind) very well. So what they tell you they will do for you and what they will actually do are very different things.

Duke University in Durham NC was given a million dollar collection 2 years ago by the Murray brothers, both of whom attended that august institution. It made headlines in the local area. I'm sure someone will be able to find a news link and post it here. (direct challenge)

BTW, boxes 122 and 124 look very promising from the collection's manifest.

Duke University in Durham NC was given a million dollar collection 2 years ago by the Murray brothers, both of whom attended that august institution. It made headlines in the local area. I'm sure someone will be able to find a news link and post it here. (direct challenge)

BTW, boxes 122 and 124 look very promising from the collection's manifest.

Linky

Check out box 177. Here.

I donated two of the Peanuts cover Tip Tops (185 and 186) to the Charles M. Schulz Museum, since they did not have them and were putting on a "Peanuts in Comic Books" exhibit.

Tom, *spoon* and Harry

:roflmao:

First Pontoon and now this... That silly filter!

Sort of related, I sold a set of Power Rangers Action figures NIB to a Toy museum in Indiana. Purchased by them off of eBay.

Also, I've sold a number of comics to contributors to the GCD, like selegue, that (hopefully) were used to populate the index.

Slowly, slowly....

and I thank you for them (and you probably thank me for getting those Dell Short Bus Specials out of your way)

I can't believe that I stuck Gerald McBoing Boing in storage before I indexed them. :frustrated:

Jack

Michigan State University has a huge collection of comics, strips and fanzines. I think they have a lot of fiche and Jerry Bails' microfilm collection. Check with Randy for a visit. They were nice to me when I was there several years ago.

bb

They also have my original Alter Ego Collection which I sold to the Curious Book Store in East Lansing.

Well, I don't know about not being able to trust university libraries. On the other hand, Florida has sold/traded some of their collection, haven't they? So you might have a point. On the whole though, a good University Library will not only keep your collection intact (with your name attached in perpetuity!) but they will make it available to students, scholars, etc., unlike museums. So people can actually read the comics. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but both serve very different purposes.

The biggest ones are those mentioned plus Bowling Green. Ohio State University just got the Mort Walker stash so they are going to be even bigger and better now.

On that note, my school (Case Western Reserve Univ. in Cleveland) is starting a Siegel and Shuster Collection at our Library -- all donations welcome!! :wishluck:

Brad

On the other hand, Florida has sold/traded some of their collection, haven't they?

The mishandling of bequests is not limited to comics. A collector that has paid money for a book is, from what I can tell, more likely to care for a comic than a non-comic collecting staff at an institution where comics are likely to be viewed as second class ephemera. Bowling Green and Michigan have demonstrated their commitment to comics. Other institutions? Not so much.

This is an interesting thread. I'm curious (other than the ebay purchase) how the museums knew who to contact for they were looking for?

In my case, I had listed Tip Top 186 on ebay. The high bidder's information indicated I should ship to the Schulz museum. I asked her if it was for the museum and she told me about the comic exhibit. So rather than selling it to them I donated it and the 185 as well since they were also missing that issue.

This is an interesting thread. I'm curious (other than the ebay purchase) how the museums knew who to contact for they were looking for?

In my case, I had listed Tip Top 186 on ebay. The high bidder's information indicated I should ship to the Schulz museum. I asked her if it was for the museum and she told me about the comic exhibit. So rather than selling it to them I donated it and the 185 as well since they were also missing that issue.

Plans for my Lou Fine Museum are coming along just fine.

Jack

Is this for real? Anything you can share?

On the other hand, Florida has sold/traded some of their collection, haven't they?

The mishandling of bequests is not limited to comics. A collector that has paid money for a book is, from what I can tell, more likely to care for a comic than a non-comic collecting staff at an institution where comics are likely to be viewed as second class ephemera. Bowling Green and Michigan have demonstrated their commitment to comics. Other institutions? Not so much.

That should be Michigan State and not Michigan which usually means University of Michigan. I am not always a loyal Spartan but I only cheer for one of those teams when they play football.

bb

The New York public library in Manhattan has allowed their early Experimenter collection to turn to paper chips. I would like to have this collection preserved since it is important as the precursor for science fiction mags like Amazing. Not to mention the first Schomburg covers.

1688859052_126104cafd.jpg

Is this for real? Anything you can share?

"Plans for my Lou Fine Museum are coming along just fine. :devil: :kidaround:"

But I can share the news that I will gladly accept donations in anticipation of the grand opening. :insane:

Jack

(apologies for the earlier lack of smileyfaces)