• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing CAF Gallery

14 posts in this topic

Bill is no joke!

Truly amazing stuff.

Absolutely.

I know it's really not a joke. I'm just dumbstruck by the X-Men 1 splash and page 2, Avengers 1 splash (not bad for a page found at a garage sale!), and the DD 4 splash is just a beauty. My feeble brain melted down looking at these.

And yeah, I know Stephen's collection is a complete jaw-dropper. Haven't seen it in person though. Need to!

--Steve

I know how you feel Steve.

I know you didn't think it was a joke, but I had to remind myself it was real!!

The closest I ever came to OA at a garage sale was a torn up Death Dealer poster! Some people have all the luck.

Bill absolutely did not find the Avengers #1 splash in a garage sale!

He's good people and he truly loves the stuff. He's very friendly and personable and loves to talk comic art.

I vaguely remembered hearing something about a garage sale find on that piece too, but I wasn't sold on that story yet. Thanks for the clarification.

I've met Bill a few times and he certainly is one of the most friendly and personable folks around. Super cool, laid back guy and he's definitely got amazing stuff!

hi David,

I was making an (I thought) humorous comment, not denigrating Bill's collection or Bill!

I'm actually completely in awe of these first four pages that he's posted on CAF. Probably the single most impressive first group EVER posted on CAF!

For the record, the Avengers 1 splash was in fact found at a garage sale, according to the news articles I saw about it from Texas. It was stolen at one point in transit to Heritage. It turned up when someone found it supposedly placed in between the pages of an oversized children's coloring book at a garage sale (ok it may have been a yard sale). Fortunately it was found, returned to Heritage, and apparently made it's way into Bill's collection! However, I didn't say Bill got it from a garage sale!!

It's the real deal, and the things that page has probably seen make it lucky to be intact!

--Steve

I changed the title of this thread -- from a few responses I gather that my "is this a joke?" comment was taken as scoffing at Bill or his collection, and that was not my intent at all. Sometimes you see something like this and you just think, that's sick, you gotta be kidding me!

When something like the art to AF15 gets donated to the National Museum, well, you realize how iconic something like the splash page and page 2 to X-Men 1 really is. Truly museum-worthy!! I had no idea those 2 pages went to the same person, who also has the Avengers 1 splash and the DD 4 splash. Makes me wonder what he's going to post next.... hm

-Steve

hi David,

I was making an (I thought) humorous comment, not denigrating Bill's collection or Bill!

I'm actually completely in awe of these first four pages that he's posted on CAF. Probably the single most impressive first group EVER posted on CAF!

For the record, the Avengers 1 splash was in fact found at a garage sale, according to the news articles I saw about it from Texas. It was stolen at one point in transit to Heritage. It turned up when someone found it supposedly placed in between the pages of an oversized children's coloring book at a garage sale (ok it may have been a yard sale). Fortunately it was found, returned to Heritage, and apparently made it's way into Bill's collection! However, I didn't say Bill got it from a garage sale!!

It's the real deal, and the things that page has probably seen make it lucky to be intact!

--Steve

Steve -

Ofcourse I know you weren't denigrating his collection -- you're as quality as they come!

The "official" story that you repeated above is not really what happened at all. The pages were stolen in transit and the garage sale story was fabricated (by the people involved). If you ever run into Bill, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you the real story -- even moreso if you show him all of your wonderful pre-hero Kirby art!!

hi David,

--Steve

Steve -

Ofcourse I know you weren't denigrating his collection -- you're as quality as they come!

The "official" story that you repeated above is not really what happened at all. The pages were stolen in transit and the garage sale story was fabricated (by the people involved). If you ever run into Bill, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you the real story -- even moreso if you show him all of your wonderful pre-hero Kirby art!!

Thanks for clearing that up, I'd be happy to hear the details! I knew the page had been stolen, and the "found at a garage sale" story was questionable but I hadn't heard the final "official" report. Thanks, man!

Steve