• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Image worth slabbing?

31 posts in this topic

The profit is actually a bit less than that - I did the calculation for fun yesterday, and here's how it breaks down ... btw, this is based on sending in at least 10 books, you getting a 9.8 on all the books and the books selling on ebay for $40 each.

Cost of book = $3.00

Shipping to CGC = $1.50

CGC grading fee = $15.00

CGC shipping fee = $4.00

eBay listing fee = $0.15

eBay FVF = $3.80

PayPayl fee = $1.46

Total cost: $28.91

So you'd make about $11 on the book ...

You can bump that $11 to $12.50 by getting 10% off the $15 grading fee.

The profit is actually a bit less than that - I did the calculation for fun yesterday, and here's how it breaks down ... btw, this is based on sending in at least 10 books, you getting a 9.8 on all the books and the books selling on ebay for $40 each.

Cost of book = $3.00

Shipping to CGC = $1.50

CGC grading fee = $15.00

CGC shipping fee = $4.00

eBay listing fee = $0.15

eBay FVF = $3.80

PayPayl fee = $1.46

There is some variance on the Cost of the book though... (Could be like $.12 cents in my case most of the time...)

That'd boost you to about $15 profit per book.

My shipping cost to CGC is lower than $1.50 per book. (Ship 30 at a time or more... spend maybe $15 in postage which equals .50 per book. It's the back shipping that's killer.)

Cost of book = $3.00

Shipping to CGC = $1.50

CGC grading fee = $15.00

CGC shipping fee = $4.00

eBay listing fee = $0.15

eBay FVF = $3.80

PayPayl fee = $1.46

There is some variance on the Cost of the book though... (Could be like $.12 cents in my case most of the time...)

That'd boost you to about $15 profit per book.

My shipping cost to CGC is lower than $1.50 per book. (Ship 30 at a time or more... spend maybe $15 in postage which equals .50 per book. It's the back shipping that's killer.)

Sure, and like Danny says, if you drop off the books with CGC at a convention, that cost drops to zero (but if you do the $24 on-site grading, the profit actually drops).

But ... and this is just my personal opinion, of course ... for those of us who don't pay $0.12 for a modern book, you're still talking about a $15 profit on a book that needs to come back a 9.8 in order to be profitable at all. When you factor in the time spent finding the 9.8 candidate, getting it ready for CGC, listing it on ebay, crossing your fingers that someone will actually buy it, and then packing it & sending it out again, I'd dare say you're looking at sub-minimum wage for all your hard work.

As such, my personal limit for books I want to sell is around $60 - to me it just doesn't feel worth it for anything less ...

And you can avoid the eBay fees altogether if you sell them here on the Boards (thumbs u

I have been willing to submit some of my raw original owner books, including early Image books, as favors for Board members who are looking for 9.8 copies even though I may only clear very little $ when all is said and done. But, I wouldn't otherwise submit a book with a GPA under $35.

Well, let's be realistic here. Not all your submissions will be worth $30. Some will hopefully be a lot more. Some will be $50-60. Some will be $80-100.

The idea is to get to the magic number of 50 actually for the pre-screen and to ameliorate the cost of the return shipping.

It doesn't work unless they're all in the same age obviously... but moderns can encompass a fair number of books that will guide for more than $30. (later than 1975)

So for me, the minimum is $30 on stuff I know I can sell pretty regularly (and which I use as filler to get to that magic number of 50.) I.E. ASMs in 9.8, various Valiants, etc.

Ebay final value fee is $2.70 on $40.00, 8.75% up to 25.00 and its 3.5% over $25.00. If your a dealer you can get books graded for $12.00, if you shop around at conventions you can get great books for $1.00. If you recycle the CGC boxes and send in 4 orders of 30 books, total 120 comics you can ship that for less than 50 cents per book. You can get free pre-screens, although you still get charged return shipping if they are not slabbed $2.00-$3.00 depending on how many get rejected. I'll sell books all day every day if I could guarantee a sale of $40.00. Soon enough you will find Dark Knights #1's raw or Watchmens #1 Raw, or Miracleman 17's and than you can get sales in the hundreds.

Ebay final value fee is $2.70 on $40.00, 8.75% up to 25.00 and its 3.5% over $25.00. If your a dealer you can get books graded for $12.00, if you shop around at conventions you can get great books for $1.00. If you recycle the CGC boxes and send in 4 orders of 30 books, total 120 comics you can ship that for less than 50 cents per book. You can get free pre-screens, although you still get charged return shipping if they are not slabbed $2.00-$3.00 depending on how many get rejected. I'll sell books all day every day if I could guarantee a sale of $40.00. Soon enough you will find Dark Knights #1's raw or Watchmens #1 Raw, or Miracleman 17's and than you can get sales in the hundreds.

(thumbs u

Unfortunately, living in the UK I have to set the bar a lot higher. If I didn't have the transatlantic shipping I'd be sending batches in every month.

PS Give me that HB#1 9.8 at half price :)