• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Up and Coming Artisits

17 posts in this topic

Who are some up and coming artists that have excellent talent and its only a matter of time before they explode?

I will tell you as soon as I am done cornering the market on their artwork. :devil:

I have to think about it but there are lots of very talented guys that seem just on the edge of getting noticed. Sometimes that means a major company labeling you the "next big thing". A lot of the times, though, the people they label aren't necessarily the best, but they get the most people noticing them.

C

There are people that I felt were going to "explode", but haven't done so....or never really reached the level that I thought they would.

I thought Tony Daniel, Buzz, EVS and Josh Medors would be the next big thing...They obtained a certian amount of popularity, but not like I would thought happen. I know there are various reasons why they haven't done so.

I think the days of superstar artists like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Bolland, Alex Ross are long gone. Readership is down, the speculator market that made these guys so hot and such wealthy men (in most cases) are long gone. While there are guys that will be more popular than others (Van Sciver, Hughes, Benes), they won't be anyone to reach that level of the 1990s.

Just my 2c

There are people that I felt were going to "explode", but haven't done so....or never really reached the level that I thought they would.

I thought Tony Daniel, Buzz, EVS and Josh Medors would be the next big thing...They obtained a certian amount of popularity, but not like I would thought happen. I know there are various reasons why they haven't done so.

I think the days of superstar artists like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Bolland, Alex Ross are long gone. Readership is down, the speculator market that made these guys so hot and such wealthy men (in most cases) are long gone. While there are guys that will be more popular than others (Van Sciver, Hughes, Benes), they won't be anyone to reach that level of the 1990s.

Just my 2c

You forgot Rob Liebfield. As much as he is scorned here, he was right at the front of the pack then with Lee and McFarlane ;) Funny... and sad.

Freddie Williams and Mitch Breitweiser. Both are fantastic young artists who do commissions and I believe have yet to break out.

You can see some examples of both thier work on my CAF page which is linked to my signature

I'll 3rd Breitweiser. He does good work and is a nice guy to boot!

Matthew Clark, Clayton Crain, Ryan Ottley, Mahmoud Asar and Afua Richardson all do great suff without a lot of pub.

Just my 2c

I dunno about that Michael. Wealthy or otherwise, I think Darwyn Cooke has reached rock-star status recently thanks to New Frontier and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to gain in popularity.

However, if you are equating popularity with comic sales, then yes, I agree with your statement that the Image fellas reached the pinnacle of sales.

Just my 2c

I dunno about that Michael. Wealthy or otherwise, I think Darwyn Cooke has reached rock-star status recently thanks to New Frontier and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to gain in popularity.

However, if you are equating popularity with comic sales, then yes, I agree with your statement that the Image fellas reached the pinnacle of sales.

Hey Yoram,

Oh, I did forget about Cooke. I didn't forget Liefeld, but I was trying....

I was giving examples, and I am sure there are a few others I could have mentioned. Like Bruce Timm and a handful of others that are extremely popular. -

Stephane Roux. Once DC or, Hell, Marvel, gives him more to do than just covers on something nice and high profile.

Daniel Acuna - DC pretty much wasted him and now, hopefully Marvel gives him some more to play with.

Stefano Caselli - Avengers Initiative is pretty high profile and unfortunately he doesn't seem to be the most timely artist, but I think he's ready to break out.