• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 group shot...

291 posts in this topic

I humbly reserve the right to change this top 10 at any point. When I tried to make a preliminary list I ended up with 21 books, and I'm not necessarily happy with this grouping. I may try some permutations.

All-American 61 and Startling 10 :cloud9:

Well, I had to get in on the fun...

Was tougher to pick than I thought... had to leave out some primo books (MARVEL 9, WONDER 1, etc.) for the "old favorites".

Very Centaur heavy shot... my three "take to the grave" books are top center... flanked by two of the coolest issues of AMF ever...

toptenGApost.jpg

And since I also love the pulps, well, here are my current top ten pulp covers... this shot is Paul-heavy... guess I really like Centaurs and Paul art...

toptenPULPSpost.jpg

(worship)

The Superworld, the Target and the pulps I don't have :takeit:

(worship)

The Superworld, the Target and the pulps I don't have :takeit:

Bill, the three regular issues of AMAZING (not the annual) came from an original owner collection in Canada, and actually have white pages (as white as pulp pages can be) and are near perfect... it was a stunning collection... I made off with about 15 or 20 pulps from that collection.

topdcs.jpg

That is breathtaking. The more I see them, the more impressed I am by the early Superman/Action covers. And yet they get so much less respect than lots of other covers from the same era.

These are a great set of books that look great together! :applause:

when do we get to see your top 10, mr strange?

As soon as I get 10 really good books. :shy:

meh

No, he's right. :gossip:

:kidaround:

These are a great set of books that look great together! :applause:

when do we get to see your top 10, mr strange?

As soon as I get 10 really good books. :shy:

meh

No, he's right. :gossip:

:kidaround:

since I have still not been able to schedule a visit to chez strange, I wanna see them :cry:....

I suppose if I had to put a list together this would be it at this time. Had to cheat a bit as the SA book is one of my faves of all time.

:sorry:

th_MarvelMysteryComics4CGC9_0Rmylite2.jpgth_MarvelMysteryComics54_5DetroitTroll.jpgth_MarvelMysteryComics7CGC6_5Rmylite2.jpgth_marvelmystery9.jpgth_WonderworldComics3good-1.jpg

th_daringmystery3.jpgth_MysticComics1V1.jpgth_WhizComics3.jpgth_SpecialEditionComics1allmine.jpgth_JIM89VFPLUS.jpg

EDIT:

This book is tied with a couple in there...it is very dear to me and it took me almost 5 years to track down and obtain this exact copy which went through several hands through the years.

th_AmazingAdventures1CGC8_0.jpg

Had to cheat a bit as the SA book is one of my faves of all time.

I loved 9 of them! :whistle:

Just kidding. The 10th is great as well -- I've always liked Kirby's art for Thor. (thumbs u

I no longer believe that my top 10 list would be comprised of "major keys"...sure, they are great to own, and milestones most of the time, but the books that have that "story" behind them, that made that purchase "special"...those books would comprise my top 10 (like Daring Mystery #4, etc)

I no longer believe that my top 10 list would be comprised of "major keys"...sure, they are great to own, and milestones most of the time, but the books that have that "story" behind them, that made that purchase "special"...those books would comprise my top 10 (like Daring Mystery #4, etc)

I agree. I just don't own a very extensive list of books yet but of the 4-5 that are in my top 10 each one has a story...an extensive one and is very dear to me...maybe that's a topic for another thread...the story behind the book.

R.

I agree. I just don't own a very extensive list of books yet but of the 4-5 that are in my top 10 each one has a story...an extensive one and is very dear to me...maybe that's a topic for another thread...the story behind the book.

R.

(thumbs u

The link is bad but it's an excellent idea. I don't have much in the way of "keys" so it's definitely the story about the book that endears them to me.

The link is bad but it's an excellent idea. I don't have much in the way of "keys" so it's definitely the story about the book that endears them to me.

Here's the link....

I'd love to hear some more stories!

R.

I agree Roy. Every book has a story. That is why each of our top ten group shots would be different a few years back or a few years ahead. I know mine would change from month to month!