• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

A Batman 227 inspired sketch. Testing out the new blue line bristol and wide copic markers.

How are you liking the wides so far?

I just have the black now (I just noticed they put out some colored versions.)

I like it. It does a great job for large gestures and filling in space. I actually used the tip at an angle for some of the details on this. I could see picking up a few in grey tones for backgrounds. I like to think of it as a copic pallet knife.

A Batman 227 inspired sketch. Testing out the new blue line bristol and wide copic markers.

I like it. It does a great job for large gestures and filling in space. I actually used the tip at an angle for some of the details on this. I could see picking up a few in grey tones for backgrounds. I like to think of it as a copic pallet knife.

I might have to try that out - I use a Sharpie magnum for laying down big areas of black but between the stench and the overlapping lines, I'm trying to find something a bit better.

I might have to try that out - I use a Sharpie magnum for laying down big areas of black but between the stench and the overlapping lines, I'm trying to find something a bit better.

Yeah. I picked mine up at a local Michael's (craft store) for $4 (after a 50% off single item coupon.)

Edited by Mangbus

Do you guys ever use a brush and plain old india for large black parts ? Copics are kinda spendy

Do you guys ever use a brush and plain old india for large black parts ? Copics are kinda spendy

That is the best way to do it. I just don't have any local places w/ a decent selection of brushes / inks. I don't think I want to just pick something online and hope it is something I'll like.

That is the best way to do it. I just don't have any local places w/ a decent selection of brushes / inks. I don't think I want to just pick something online and hope it is something I'll like.

Luckily, I live really close to the University of Oregon, and they have a couple of very nice art stores close at hand for all the various art type students. They stock all kinds of goodies I have yet to try :insane:

Yeah. I picked mine up at a local Michael's (craft store) for $4 (after a 50% off single item coupon.)

Why are Copics so expensive anyways?

Yes, they're good but I don't find them to be that much better than the old Letraset Trias (RIP) with the literal TRI-TIPS...

And they are water-based, no?

Yes, they're good but I don't find them to be that much better than the old Letraset Trias (RIP) with the literal TRI-TIPS...

They are water-based, and I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the old Letraset markers - as I've never used the latter. Looking at the Letraset markers, my guess is that they lay down ink like Prismacolor markers (very opaque and saturated) - the Copics lay down color in a more translucent fashion, and allow for more build up of color to achieve maximum saturation.

How this translates into being more expensive, I'm not sure.

They are kinda pricey outside of Ebay, but if you know the color you want, and you can wait - you can usually get them from $3-$5 shipped on the 'Bay. Michaels has them for $8 a whack, and I only go there if I am in dire need of a color immediately.

They are water-based, and I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the old Letraset markers - as I've never used the latter. Looking at the Letraset markers, my guess is that they lay down ink like Prismacolor markers (very opaque and saturated) - the Copics lay down color in a more translucent fashion, and allow for more build up of color to achieve maximum saturation.

How this translates into being more expensive, I'm not sure.

They are kinda pricey outside of Ebay, but if you know the color you want, and you can wait - you can usually get them from $3-$5 shipped on the 'Bay. Michaels has them for $8 a whack, and I only go there if I am in dire need of a color immediately.

That would be a difference... the Pantone / Letraset Trias seemed to have more saturation than Prismacolor (which I really liked) but in terms of building up color, you're not going to be able to do much.