• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

Why are Copics so expensive anyways?

Yes, they're good but I don't find them to be that much better than the old Letraset Trias (RIP) with the literal TRI-TIPS...

And they are water-based, no?

They are water-based, and I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the old Letraset markers - as I've never used the latter. Looking at the Letraset markers, my guess is that they lay down ink like Prismacolor markers (very opaque and saturated) - the Copics lay down color in a more translucent fashion, and allow for more build up of color to achieve maximum saturation.

How this translates into being more expensive, I'm not sure.

They are kinda pricey outside of Ebay, but if you know the color you want, and you can wait - you can usually get them from $3-$5 shipped on the 'Bay. Michaels has them for $8 a whack, and I only go there if I am in dire need of a color immediately.

I may have missed something but Copics are alcohol based and I agree they are quite expensive. One of the things that makes them so costly I believe is the consistency of the colors. A lot of markers that are supposed to be the same color are usually a little but different, I have never seen this with a Copic marker. Also, I think the fact that you can replace the nibs and refill them adds tot he cost since you do not have to buy a new one everything the ink runs out.

Andy

wikipedia :luhv:

I always forget to look up stuff on there.

Must ....make ....checking.....wikipedia..... a.....habit.... :insane:

I've been using the .7 like crazy, with the 100's for filling space. The BS (brush) got frayed at the tip and doesn't make a true line anymore :mad:

Here's one of the two cover recreations I started (the other may be spoken for), and am pretty frickin happy with it. If all goes well, it (or another) just may go into this years raffle. I don't really have the time or resources to ink right now so I think I'm going to build a stack of these in the meantime.

I'm trying to decide on a great Pre Code Horror cover that hasn't been done too many times. There's so many to go through, but seeing all the awesome covers is always fun.

I'm still deciding on a Hado inspired Spider Woman recreation. Something Copper Age or sooner. hm

The contrast has been increased so the pencils show clearer. They're quite a bit lighter than shown.

FF100recre002_zpsd37f4017.jpg

Edited by Sulphur Server

Here's one of the two cover recreations I started (the other may be spoken for), and am pretty frickin happy with it. If all goes well, it (or another) just may go into this years raffle. I don't really have the time or resources to ink right now so I think I'm going to build a stack of these in the meantime.

I'm trying to decide on a great Pre Code Horror cover that hasn't been done too many times. There's so many to go through, but seeing all the awesome covers is always fun.

I'm still deciding on a Hado inspired Spider Woman recreation. Something Copper Age or sooner. hm

The contrast has been increased so the pencils show clearer. They're quite a bit lighter than shown.

:applause: Thats excellent !!

Kirby :luhv:

Kirby/Sinnott :luhv::luhv:

I'm starting to read from the OA forum and see that recreations can be a touchy area of the hobby if not represented properly, far more than I suspected. Sure, I knew that there were and are many that try to pass off recreated covers and pin ups as OA, and I assume even recreated published pages- though I don't recall reading of those types of misrepresentations. But reading the posts there I see that the extent some go to dupe honest collector's can even be comical. Unless, that is, someone is duped.

It looks like there are more do's and don'ts than I thought. I can't think of a better place to learn :applause:

I'm starting to read from the OA forum and see that recreations can be a touchy area of the hobby if not represented properly, far more than I suspected. Sure, I knew that there were and are many that try to pass off recreated covers and pin ups as OA, and I assume even recreated published pages- though I don't recall reading of those types of misrepresentations. But reading the posts there I see that the extent some go to dupe honest collector's can even be comical. Unless, that is, someone is duped.

It looks like there are more do's and don'ts than I thought. I can't think of a better place to learn :applause:

I've been doing the same. I'm working on an ASM 33 and an Xmen 101 on 11x17 blue line right now. I'm just ensuring that my name is signed on it 'after the original artst(s).' My style is on the amateur side of the coin and I do want that to shine through. I'd hate for something I recreate to end up being passed off as original years later.

I actually like doing recreations on blank covers so they don't compete against the larger OA pages.

I've been doing the same. I'm working on an ASM 33 and an Xmen 101 on 11x17 blue line right now. I'm just ensuring that my name is signed on it 'after the original artst(s).' My style is on the amateur side of the coin and I do want that to shine through. I'd hate for something I recreate to end up being passed off as original years later.

I actually like doing recreations on blank covers so they don't compete against the larger OA pages.

I don't think I could ever make a recreation look that good. I'm just an amatuer cartoonist doing my own thing :busy:

Wow! That is exceptional!

Thanks all. Especially you, Shadow. That means quite a lot coming from you (worship) .

I do want it known that I utilize the aide of a light box. The inking stage is where I'm trying to grow. I had started a DD #91, but got a little careless and spilled a some ink on it. :tonofbricks: It might be salvageable, but I thought I could do a better job on the header so I just started another instead.

Not really a spoiler, but it is a great space saver.

I like the idea of pics in the spoiler window. Saves a lot of space :applause:

This pick was a WIP shot for someone that may want to buy it.

DD91halfdone001_zpsfa4a6152.jpgsmorefJoe027_zpsc19ad864.jpgsmorefJoe026_zps7b293a42.jpg

And the new one.

BigDD91commission001_zps3d337a4d.jpg

I can draw on my own, but not well or consistently enough (yet) to recreate this well. At least not quickly. I'm really happy with this because I've seen some pretty bad light box drawings, so I must be doing something right. Of course, I still need to ink it :wishluck:

Edited by Sulphur Server

Thanks all. Especially you, Shadow. That means quite a lot coming from you (worship) .

I do want it known that I utilize the aide of a light box. The inking stage is where I'm trying to grow. I had started a DD #91, but got a little careless and spilled a some ink on it. :tonofbricks: It might be salvageable, but I thought I could do a better job on the header so I just started another instead.

Not really a spoiler, but it is a great space saver.

I like the idea of pics in the spoiler window. Saves a lot of space :applause:

This pick was a WIP shot for someone that may want to buy it.

DD91halfdone001_zpsfa4a6152.jpgsmorefJoe027_zpsc19ad864.jpgsmorefJoe026_zps7b293a42.jpg

And the new one.

BigDD91commission001_zps3d337a4d.jpg

I can draw on my own, but not well or consistently enough (yet) to recreate this well. At least not quickly. I'm really happy with this because I've seen some pretty bad light box drawings, so I must be doing something right. Of course, I still need to ink it :wishluck:

white out ?

White out is fine if it's going to be scanned for publication, but it looks kinda tacky on a recreation- something designed for display. IMHO

I'll try using an exacto, but that a lot of ink to lighly scrape. My "Master" uses an electric eraser at times, which is basically a type of dremel tool.