• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

I've always wanted to learn to draw. Don't have to become great, but would love to be good enough to show off some art.

I wonder, if I started now, and perhaps took a course or two, how long it would take for me to get any good hm

I've always wanted to learn to draw. Don't have to become great, but would love to be good enough to show off some art.

I wonder, if I started now, and perhaps took a course or two, how long it would take for me to get any good hm

I've never taken any classes or anything, I taught myself by reading a series of books by Andrew Loomis.

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-Hands-Andrew-Loomis/dp/0857680978

http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-All-Its-Worth/dp/0857680986/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

They were written a long time ago, but they help with anatomy and how everything on the body lines up properly. Good luck, and hope they help you.

This post is so right on Erndog. I bet alot of people feel that way. I know I did.....

and that is why, I did something about it. Yup, I figured working for Marvel or DC was just never going to happen but that didn't mean I couldn't ....make a comic book. My own comic book.

Yup. I finally came to the place in my life where I just decided to do it. To write a graphic story.... in comic book fashion, and make something tangible out of it. Heck, I've been reading these things for years. I know how they look. At first, I only wanted to write the -script, because I like writing more than drawing (that and my drawing skills are questionable) ..... so I created a senario, thought out some characters, and wrote a first issue. I have a friend who is fantastic at art and who said he would do the drawings, if he could fit in time for them. And he did send me a whole bunch of sketches, drawings and even inked finished pieces, but ultimately could not commit to doing the whole project. And so I took on the drawing work as well as the writing.

Last week, I returned from the printers with 50 copies each of my own comic book. I wrote the story, and I did all the artwork, except for the covers, which are the work of my very good friend. He really is phenomenal (worship)

I thought I would give it first mention here in this thread cuz it really is "my personal artwork" and the art community is always the most supportive. :)

spikemulliganbooks4_zpsac4ca9f6.jpg

This post is so right on Erndog. I bet alot of people feel that way. I know I did.....

and that is why, I did something about it. Yup, I figured working for Marvel or DC was just never going to happen but that didn't mean I couldn't ....make a comic book. My own comic book.

Yup. I finally came to the place in my life where I just decided to do it. To write a graphic story.... in comic book fashion, and make something tangible out of it. Heck, I've been reading these things for years. I know how they look. At first, I only wanted to write the -script, because I like writing more than drawing (that and my drawing skills are questionable) ..... so I created a senario, thought out some characters, and wrote a first issue. I have a friend who is fantastic at art and who said he would do the drawings, if he could fit in time for them. And he did send me a whole bunch of sketches, drawings and even inked finished pieces, but ultimately could not commit to doing the whole project. And so I took on the drawing work as well as the writing.

Last week, I returned from the printers with 50 copies each of my own comic book. I wrote the story, and I did all the artwork, except for the covers, which are the work of my very good friend. He really is phenomenal (worship)

I thought I would give it first mention here in this thread cuz it really is "my personal artwork" and the art community is always the most supportive. :)

spikemulliganbooks4_zpsac4ca9f6.jpg

Mike I was thrilled to read your first two issues,they were great reads.I can't wait for issue #3 :applause:

It really took along time to get to this place.... about a year, but once I got going..... with my -script in hand I could pencil out 22 pages, letter and ink them, in about 2 months. Course I have a regular 40 hour a week job too :)

You know what? I'm having a blast! I know I'm no Jim Steranko or Neal Adams ... I'm just me. And my drawing skills are what they are. And I see improvement. Well, a little :shy:

So, I get to write the story.... whatever I want. Then I get to draw the story.... however I want. And I've realized, its really just a series of problem solvings. One after another after another. And the best part of all is..... I have no deadlines !! :banana:

Mike I was thrilled to read your first two issues,they were great reads.I can't wait for issue #3 :applause:

You is good people Dave . Thanks for being a "volunteer" lol

The thing about being the artist is you can draw "inside joke" stuff in your panels. I don't know why.... but I get a kick out of doin this. Did you happen to notice either of these Dave ?

royandlous_zps23d8677c.jpg

homertime_zps5ddc992d.jpg