• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

Still a work in progress. Plan is too fill in the blank panels with Spidey villains, then have it colored digitally and sold as a print at the next Tampa Comic Con.

382411_526462347391316_1105235064_n.jpg

Your Spidey looks great, but..... um, don't you have to get some kind of permission to do what you are planning on doing ? Especially now that Disney owns Marvel.... those guys are tough.

Still a work in progress. Plan is too fill in the blank panels with Spidey villains, then have it colored digitally and sold as a print at the next Tampa Comic Con.

Your Spidey looks great, but..... um, don't you have to get some kind of permission to do what you are planning on doing ? Especially now that Disney owns Marvel.... those guys are tough.

Creating the original piece and selling it is legal. Creating the prints is where it can come into question, Senormac is correct.....be careful.

Not that I'm aware of. I've been to plenty of cons and have seen other non published artist selling prints featuring DC and Marvel characters. From what I've been told you just can't use the logos. It'll be my first con trying to make money off my art, so we will see.

:applause:

I hope to start mine someday soon, I applaud your efforts, because sequential art is challenging!

I've seen some of your artwork Balls and know you won't have any trouble with that area (worship)

Thanks! It's the time aspect that daunts me. And I don't like to feel rushed. We'll see. I vowed to have 24 pages done by the end summer, but it's not looking like it - but I am going to start it at least!

I know what you mean about time and being rushed. This project is taking me WAY longer than I thought it would..... course I have a 40 hour a week day job to go to also, so I'm only squeezing in a couple of hours a night when and if I have the energy. My philosophy is that every line I make on the page, is one less than I had before :insane:

I have 2-3 projects I am wanting to work on myself but that 40 hour a week full time job and 20 hour a week part time job(s) get in the way.

Amen, brother. I'm in the same boat. 40 hours per week, plus 20 hour part time teaching - my only break from that is during the summer, which is why I was hoping to have some pencils done by now! Once school starts, I have little time left for anything other than work and freelance.

I did manage to crank this out two weeks ago during the weekend, shirking all my yardwork responsibilities. It was a two-year old project I told myself I would finish, finally got down to it.

BITEME01.jpg

Cool piece. fabric paint?

I did some custom painting on a few leather jackets several years back and made the mistake of using acrylics. Because the leather was treated the paint ended up peeling off. My customer was very unhappy. Turned out she was the daughter of my Mother's best friend to and I had no idea. :P

It's regular acrylics, but I know what you're talking about with leather. When I got out of high school I painted jackets for extra income - and those I used fabric acrylics. I don't think I ever dealt with a treated leather coat, because other than some minor cracking from movement, they looked pretty good even after a year's worth of wear.

This is my second painted denim jacket, and it seems to hold up well with regular acrylics, but I credit that to the porus nature of denim more than anything.

Not that I'm aware of. I've been to plenty of cons and have seen other non published artist selling prints featuring DC and Marvel characters. From what I've been told you just can't use the logos. It'll be my first con trying to make money off my art, so we will see.

Publishers look the other way to artists who create original art featuring licensed characters because they don't want to create more problems with fans than they solve, and come off looking like a corporate bully.

However, you should realize that making a piece of art featuring licensed characters and reproducing it is infringement, and the only reason you see unpublished artists doing it is because they have not been caught or handed a cease-and-desist letter.

I'm not trying to be on a high horse here - but ethically speaking, an artist should respect others' copyrights, and when boundaries are granted by copyright holders (such as selling originals of licensed property on a sketch cover), they should be adhered to, not abused or pushed past what the license holder originally intended - because people could find themselves restricted down the line for taking advantage. Just ask Gary Friedrich.

Publishers look the other way to artists who create original art featuring licensed characters because they don't want to create more problems with fans than they solve, and come off looking like a corporate bully.

However, you should realize that making a piece of art and reproducing it is infringement, and the only reason you see unpublished artists doing it is because they have not been caught or handed a cease-and-desist letter.

I'm not trying to be on a high horse here - but ethically speaking, an artist should respect others' copyrights, and when boundaries are granted by copyright holders (such as selling originals of licensed property on a sketch cover), they should be adhered to, not abused or pushed past what the license holder originally intended - because people could find themselves restricted down the line for taking advantage. Just ask Gary Friedrich.

From what I've been told by a pro, there's basically a gentleman's agreement as far as doing sketches and commissions. Selling prints or collected editions using their characters without permission is a big no no.

However, you should realize that making a piece of art featuring licensed characters and reproducing it is infringement, and the only reason you see unpublished artists doing it is because they have not been caught or handed a cease-and-desist letter.

Thanks for the input, I will tread cautiously.

If something.... um..... "official" happens, I expect a full report here :grin:

If something.... um..... "official" happens, I expect a full report here :grin:

Will do.

Meanwhile here's what I just finished

401892_528094447228106_1747717154_n.jpg

I got a lot of PMs over the past few weeks about what I use to ink/pencil/correct/color/etc. so here is a few pics of what I currently use:

(Click for larger view)

m4jlQJSm.jpg

Dr Ph Martines - Black Star - Matte - India Ink (for brush/nibs)

Kuretake White Ink 30 - Opaque white - this stuff changed my life!

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Sable Brush - Round #2 (not a cheap brush - I know artists who have owned this exact brush for 20+ years and it is still perfect!)

Various Round brushes - sized 4 or 6 for larger coverage areas

512 sized line nib

102 hunt detail line nib

w4Jmfwrm.jpg

Faber-Castell PITT artist pen - india ink - various sizes (just broke my XS so I need a new one)

Sakura Micro-Perm pen (not my go to but does good as my backup)

General Kimberly Graphite drawing pencil (2B, B, 2H, 6H)

Pentel Brush Tip pen - similar to the Round #2 brush I use but in a pen format (uses it's own ink tube and refills)

BDFi9Jkm.jpg

Correction and Setup

Staedtler Non-Photo Blue layout pencil

Kneaded eraser

Factis Black 18 eraser

Sakura Gelly Roll white ink pen

3o39b8Om.jpg

Various Copic Markers

F8g4hd2m.jpg

Big PITT pens (various shades of black and grey)

Pitt pens in color - B sized tip

A random Copic Regular marker in N10 grey (dark almost black)

Standard Prismacolor Markers - 12 pack (rarely use these as they do not blend well)

What does everyone else here use?

Also - here are a few pics of my most recent completed commissions and a pair of work in progress pieces:

pXrXkYtm.jpgjZUBphLm.jpg1zOorUQm.jpg

k5cBpfem.jpg5XU4nQvm.jpgj7vhUZJm.jpg

I got a lot of PMs over the past few weeks about what I use to ink/pencil/correct/color/etc. so here is a few pics of what I currently use:

(Click for larger view)

m4jlQJSm.jpg

Dr Ph Martines - Black Star - Matte - India Ink (for brush/nibs)

Kuretake White Ink 30 - Opaque white - this stuff changed my life!

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Sable Brush - Round #2 (not a cheap brush - I know artists who have owned this exact brush for 20+ years and it is still perfect!)

Various Round brushes - sized 4 or 6 for larger coverage areas

512 sized line nib

102 hunt detail line nib

w4Jmfwrm.jpg

Faber-Castell PITT artist pen - india ink - various sizes (just broke my XS so I need a new one)

Sakura Micro-Perm pen (not my go to but does good as my backup)

General Kimberly Graphite drawing pencil (2B, B, 2H, 6H)

Pentel Brush Tip pen - similar to the Round #2 brush I use but in a pen format (uses it's own ink tube and refills)

BDFi9Jkm.jpg

Correction and Setup

Staedtler Non-Photo Blue layout pencil

Kneaded eraser

Factis Black 18 eraser

Sakura Gelly Roll white ink pen

3o39b8Om.jpg

Various Copic Markers

F8g4hd2m.jpg

Big PITT pens (various shades of black and grey)

Pitt pens in color - B sized tip

A random Copic Regular marker in N10 grey (dark almost black)

Standard Prismacolor Markers - 12 pack (rarely use these as they do not blend well)

What does everyone else here use?

Also - here are a few pics of my most recent completed commissions and a pair of work in progress pieces:

pXrXkYtm.jpgjZUBphLm.jpg1zOorUQm.jpg

k5cBpfem.jpg5XU4nQvm.jpgj7vhUZJm.jpg

Thanks for doing this Mangbus. I like the opportunity to learn what others are using

I use the same ink. Its the best readily available ink around.

I've been taking on quill / nibs lately. I'm trying to find the right holder because these cheap PO speedball holders for the Hunt 102 just don't do it for me. I'm looking at the Tachikawa T-40 holder now.

I recently found a great place online for Copic markers and multiliners as well as refills and replacement nibs. Their prices are fantastic and they ship quickly.

http://www.merriartist.com/Copic_Markers_s/269.htm