• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big DC Mystery

101 posts in this topic

Thankyou for the link.

The link doesn't actually tell you what the catalogue does. Does it list every comic released since 1961 ??? Does that include giveaways and promos too ???

The facts someone quoted earlier suggest they give initial orders. Are those figures for Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual 5, and Dragonlance Annual 1, actual sales or advance orders ??? If so, maybe the comics were both scheduled and then cancelled. Or had a limited release like Hawkman 33 in the 1990s.

The mystery is still not solved.......

What the deal w/ Hawkman #33??? Why would it be limited?

This MORE than helped.

So there are eleven, not seven

The 11 DC mini-comics are (by Series, in alphabetical order):

"Battle In The Clouds", 1982, Series 1.

"He-Man And The Power Sword", 1982, Series 1.

"King Of Castle Grayskull", 1982, Series 1.

"The Tale Of Teela!", 1982, Series 1.

"The Vengeance Of Skeletor", 1982, Series 1.

"He-Man Meets Ram-Man!", 1983, Series 2.

"The Ordeal Of Man-E-Faces!", 1983, Series 2.

"The Magic Stealer!", 1983, Series 2.

"The Menace Of Trap Jaw!", 1983, Series 2.

"The Power Of ... Point Dread!", 1983, Series 2.

"The Terror Of Tri-Klops!", 1983, Series 2.

As for the Teen Titans, just because it was missing from a collection, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for the Hawkman 33, I've no idea what happened, but it certainly never came over to England, and people thought the series was curtailed at number 32.

Don't take that He-Man list as gospel just yet. "He-Man and the Insect People" (1983) is not on it that I see. It also says "He-Man meets Ram-Man" and "The Menace of Trap Jaw" as being from 1983 when my copies say 1982 on them. Maybe they were re-issued a year later? Still, if I was collecting these, I'd pick them all up and sort it out later - that way you're covered. wink.gif

One more strand to add to this legacy. Why are certain oddball issues so rare, like Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children No 27, and the Batman Legacy Trade Paperback. Meaning that in the last year, NOBODY has had them on their inventory, including Lonestar, Mile High, Comic Biz, Silveracre, Nostalgia Zone, etc etc etc.

Why would certain issues from the last fifteen years be so hard to come by ????????

And what's the deal with Legion Lost No 1, that every time it comes up, loads of people are ready to bid insane amounts for it ?????

Back to Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual 5.

So far there is no conclusive proof either way as to whether it exists or not.

Is there someone at DC that anyone on these boards knows well enough to find the definitive answer ????

I collected both Teen Titans and Dragonlance during that time. In fact I collected all the DC TSR titles, and thought I had them all. I do not have a Dragonlance Annual 1, I don't believe there is such a thing. If there is, someone needs to put a scan up.

I also think the same about the Tales of the Teen Titans annual. I think that Teen Titans became a reprint series around #59 with a name change to Tales of the Teen Titans occuring earlier. I Have "Teen Titans Annual" 1-7, with none of them having the title of "Tales of the Teen Titans Annual".

Two factors suggest you MAY be wrong, but I'm not yet sure.

The Dragonlance Annual is listed in Overstreet AND the Standard Comic Guide WITH FIGURES, AND on Paul Sassienie's inventory at Comic Biz, which claims they sold a copy in the late nineties.

As for the Teen Titans Annual, whether it exists or not, your logic is flawed, as there most CERTAINLY is a Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual Number 4, because I've got it, and the other Annuals (1-11) were from a completely different series, and it is PRECISELY this confusion which makes me mad at the way DC numbered the INFINITE incarnations of this wretched series, without giving a S***T about the people who might be collecting the stupidly erratic, confused, and mixed up title in the first place.

Back to Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual 5.

So far there is no conclusive proof either way as to whether it exists or not.

Is there someone at DC that anyone on these boards knows well enough to find the definitive answer ????

sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gif

Am I missing something here ??????

Hmmm. Since no one else will say it, and I know more than a few of you are thinking it, I will jump out on a limb here and say that perhaps you are pushing just a little bit too hard in getting people to do your collecting work for you.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate a nice collection as much as the next guy. And a little help via a post on a public comics board or by sending want lists to dealers is cool. But dude - you have been pushing your postings for the past week or more constantly, and in a fairly demanding manner, which can be a bit annoying.

Cut back - give us a weekly update or something, and don't lay it on so thick. If you don't - then soon, people are going to start avoiding your posts like they avoid Hulk #181 posts - and you really don't want that to happen smile.gif

Just my 2 cents -

D.

D -

Ian's certainly being aggressive in his search and while I did at first find it somewhat off-putting, as you are finding it, for someone to post quite that much about the same topic, he now has me hooked, along with a lot of us, I think. I'm having a great time watching it unfold and I would love to see his list completed with the help of this board. I understand your viewpoint but do keep in mind that it's a pretty impressive feat we are talking about - this isn't like someone finally completing their power pack set grin.gif or something equally banal. This is a FULL set of DC - my god. shocked.gif Is there a tougher single publisher set out there? I shouldn't think so. Marvel/atlas/timely would be a picnic by comparison, in my opinion.

To me, this is a most welcome respite from the Hulk 181 and market crash threads, and a genuinely interesting topic. Give it a chance. smile.gif

Cheers,

Dan

I understand your viewpoint but do keep in mind that it's a pretty impressive feat we are talking about - this isn't like someone finally completing their power pack set grin.gif or something equally banal. This is a FULL set of DC - my god. shocked.gif Is there a tougher single publisher set out there? I shouldn't think so. Marvel/atlas/timely would be a picnic by comparison, in my opinion.

To me, this is a most welcome respite from the Hulk 181 and market crash threads, and a genuinely interesting topic. Give it a chance. smile.gif

I agree. This is something special. He has amassed a collection of some 30,000 individual copies from a single publisher. If I can help him complete his collection and fulfill a quest that has taken some 30 odd years to complete, I'm more than happy to participate.

There's also the idea of one day digitally archiving every single comic ever produced. As he is amassing generally low grade readers, they wouldn't be necessarily more damaged by scanning or photographing. He's in a pretty unique position of leaving a lasting legacy to the comic collecting world... not just with the covers, but with the interiors as well (with DC's permission or stewardship, of course!)

I agree. This is something special. He has amassed a collection of some 30,000 individual copies from a single publisher. If I can help him complete his collection and fulfill a quest that has taken some 30 odd years to complete, I'm more than happy to participate

Well I don't wanna overstay my welcome. Since posting on here, my wants list has been drastically reduced BECAUSE of it, so naturally I don't wanna stop. But if it becomes tiresome to people then I ought to.

Filling in the last 185 gaps in a complete DC collection of thirty thousand was NEVER gonna be an easy task, and without this type of network, it verges on impossible. Those of you who are rooting for me to complete it are the very kind of people who I was praying I'd find. And the one guy on here, RareHighGrade, actually HAS his own copy of Double Action 2. So I'd like to continue, if you'll allow me, purely because at this stage, it REALLY is getting exciting and the adrenalin is flowing.

Plus, I've yet to ascertain how complete Christine Farrell's collection actually is, but I believe I'm the first person to ever do this properly, from New Fun 1 right up to this week's (New Adventures Of) Superman 622.

I'm enjoying following your progress and think you should keep posting. The enthusiasum you bring is what collecting is all about and reminds me of the excitement I used to feel back when I was actively filling in my wantlist. smile.gif