• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How far into the '80's will the Bronze Age creep?

108 posts in this topic

Yes I agree 81 is too late got a kick out of something in the newest OS they had Conan 100 in there Bronze gallery. I really DO think the extending of the Bronze is dealer driven if they had tons of 20 cent issues in HG then the bronze wouldn't be moving up in years but they don't so they keep creeping forward to the books they do have tons of.

I really DO think the extending of the Bronze is dealer driven if they had tons of 20 cent issues in HG then the bronze wouldn't be moving up in years but they don't so they keep creeping forward to the books they do have tons of.

Yep, it's sad but true.

I really DO think the extending of the Bronze is dealer driven if they had tons of 20 cent issues in HG then the bronze wouldn't be moving up in years but they don't so they keep creeping forward to the books they do have tons of.

Yep, it's sad but true.

You guys win a No Prize for answering properly my question: "why the advancing BA tide?"

My original question remains: "how far will it go?"

All of the way to Spidey 300?

That's where I can see it going, according to the valid reasons y'all have given.

and its good for Kirby to share credit for an age since he was so important in ALL of them to that time. You can argue that for Kirby himself to "self=publish" was an extraordinary change of events after so many years on the plantation.

As a Marvel Bronze Age freak, I always considered X-Men #142 and Daredevil #168 the last key books of the Bronze Age. 1981 seems be a popular year to end the Bronze Age on.

Who's behind the push in pushing the Bronze Age up into the mid '80s? Although I am not oppose to it, I find it quite interesting since many books from 1981-1986 do have a Bronze "feel" to them.

Just my two ¢s.

Yep, it's sad but true.

When I wrote "valid" reasons I didn't mean that the practice of advancing the BA's end date by sellers for pecuniary gain was something with which I agreed. Rather, I meant that your answers were valid in the sense that they are well reasoned & the most accurate answer as to "who" & "why", in my opinion.

Accepting this premise as true, how far could these BA creeps successfully take this? How far might they try, without overplaying their hand? How far will OSPG go along with it?

Yep, it's sad but true.

When I wrote "valid" reasons I didn't mean that the practice of advancing the BA's end date by sellers for pecuniary gain was something with which I agreed. Rather, I meant that your answers were valid in the sense that they are well reasoned & the most accurate answer as to "who" & "why", in my opinion.

Accepting this premise as true, how far could these BA creeps successfully take this? How far might they try, without overplaying their hand? How far will OSPG go along with it?

pecuniary:

1: Of or relating to money: a pecuniary loss; pecuniary motives.

2: Requiring payment of money: a pecuniary offense.

I learned a new word today.

:banana:

How far might they try, without overplaying their hand?

It's long overplayed now, and virtually no one looks a mid-80's book and thinks "this is prime Bronze Age", so I highly doubt these scam artists would ever be able to push it any further with OS.

No one cares what a piled of money-grubbing dealers think anyway, anyone with a brain realizes that the BA stopped around 1980-81.

I am of the notion that the bronze age started in 1970 Conan #1 for Marvel,Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 for DC and ends in 81/82 around the time of Wolverine limited series #1. I could'nt see the Bronze age going past that time frame.

How far might they try, without overplaying their hand?

It's long overplayed now, and virtually no one looks a mid-80's book and thinks "this is prime Bronze Age", so I highly doubt these scam artists would ever be able to push it any further with OS.

No one cares what a piled of money-grubbing dealers think anyway, anyone with a brain realizes that the BA stopped around 1980-81.

When did comics go from 50 cents to 60 cents?

That's when when I quit buying new isseus and focused on back isses.

When I couldn't get two comics for a buck I said "screw it".

The BA was over for sure then.

:P

I always consider 60 cent books Post=Bronze age. Until recently, that meant Modern... but another 15 years went by so a new Age was created in the intervening decade. Overstreet says its Copper. okay with me.

In 10 years we will be debating the end of the Copper and will be inserting ANOTHER age between Copper and "Modern" (which is always going to be the most recent stuff.. such is life.

But back to Bronze vs Copper, Bronze to me was a sloppy period. A period that started on a high note but collapsed into a sad, messy echo of Silver and Early Bronze stuff. It fed the near destruction of comics entirely. What followed was tighter controlled slicker comics.... and the rise of the Independents. Suddenly comics had come alive and new stuff was sprouting up. And we were reading about new ideas in advance in the distributor pamphlets and magazines. The Direct Market brought us much closer together with the publishing system.... no longer all of us free agents on our own picking books off newstand racks with little idea of what was coming out when.

Whatever point we all agree that new mindset took hold, was the beginning of Copper cause it was a radically different time to be a comics collector, week after week, than the newsstand-centric Bronze era.

I always consider 60 cent books Post=Bronze age. Until recently, that meant Modern... but another 15 years went by so a new Age was created in the intervening decade. Overstreet says its Copper. okay with me.

In 10 years we will be debating the end of the Copper and will be inserting ANOTHER age between Copper and "Modern" (which is always going to be the most recent stuff.. such is life.

But back to Bronze vs Copper, Bronze to me was a sloppy period. A period that started on a high note but collapsed into a sad, messy echo of Silver and Early Bronze stuff. It fed the near destruction of comics entirely. What followed was tighter controlled slicker comics.... and the rise of the Independents. Suddenly comics had come alive and new stuff was sprouting up. And we were reading about new ideas in advance in the distributor pamphlets and magazines. The Direct Market brought us much closer together with the publishing system.... no longer all of us free agents on our own picking books off newstand racks with little idea of what was coming out when.

Whatever point we all agree that new mindset took hold, was the beginning of Copper cause it was a radically different time to be a comics collector, week after week, than the newsstand-centric Bronze era.

Interesting Post Aman...

I was thinking about the above the other day.

Any ideas what metal comes next with the new era?

The "Tin Age"

The "Aluminum Age"

The "Nickel Age"

The "Steel Age"

The "Iron Age"

hm

Interesting Post Aman...

I was thinking about the above the other day.

Any ideas what metal comes next with the new era?

The "Tin Age"

The "Aluminum Age"

The "Nickel Age"

The "Steel Age"

The "Iron Age"

hm

I like the "Chromium Age" which reflects the birth of metallic foil covers in the 1990s.

Platinum, Gold , Silver, Bronze, Copper, Aluminum sticking with the precious metal theme. Aluminum Age the old AA where everything was a limited chrome cover wow that just roles off the tongue.