• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics

187 posts in this topic

Near mint. I'd prefer not to mention the price. But I will say that it was several years ago, so it was a lot less than its current value. I believe it was one of two near mint books that were part of the original find. As I mentioned earlier, it is rumored that the original find involved two complete books and four cover sheets. If that's true, then the other books out there were purchased off the newsstand or otherwise distributed in the marketplace.

this is an ashcan, right?

So how would it get bought (or sent) to a newsstand? They were put together solely to send in to the (whatever or whomever) for registering the tiles, no?

No - absolutely not.

Double Action 2 is NOT an ashcan.

Double Action 1 is, but the 2 is not.

For the last couple of weeks, here on the CGC forum message boards, there has been lots of talk about Double Action 2, and also about the ashcan of Double Action 1.

Someone off those boards who INSISTED he remained anonymous, and only sent me what I am about to show you on the strict condition I didn't reveal his name, which I had to promise before I received the scan, sent me this today privately.

Well it CERTAINLY doesn't look like an ashcan.

IS IT REAL ???

Is it a hoax ???

Is it fake ??

If it's real, how come no-one else has seen it ???

Where did it come from ???

My first instinct was to dismiss it as rubbish - as some nonsense mocked up on someone's PC.

But the more I look at it, the more I'm unsure.

I don't want to be the victim of a dupe, and the person who sent it to me refuses to say any more, and tells me he did me the most enormous favour in the world sending it to me PURELY because I've been going on and on about it so much, and says if I reveal which one of you he is, he'll never help me again, so I DAREN'T. But he IS one of you lot on here, and he's already probably gonna be mad that I posted it up here, but I'm so perplexed I don't know what to do.

Even if it's a fake, it looks WONDERFUL.

Well at least it made the day interesting.

So am I being stupid to even show it to you, or is it worth posting up ???

I'm desperate for some thoughts, but I refuse to believe it's real, but I've enjoyed seeing it anyway.

A VERY puzzled Ian Levine............

316016-DoublAct1.jpg.63c31565c233c5a36f41a7e3692bcefb.jpg

Well I can tell you I have never seen that cover anywhere else before. Just by looking at the scan I noticed right away the cover does not match up to the interior pages, which would be consistant with an ashcan where the cover was made seperately and stapled to another coverless DC interior.

Interesting.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

Well I can tell you I have never seen that cover anywhere else before. Just by looking at the scan I noticed right away the cover does not match up to the interior pages, which would be consistant with an ashcan where the cover was made seperately and stapled to another coverless DC interior. Interesting.

It does resemble the artwork from the early Doctor Occult strips, but we were only just saying that's what the Number 2 contained anyway, so it almost sounds too much for coincidence. And yet the artwork DOES seem to match but not exactly, as if it WAS done by the same artist.

I know it could be a fake. It seems obvious. And yet it looks so good, and so authentic. Do you think that MAYBE someone got the original cover art or something, or a colour proof of it, or anything like that ??? It may be the original DC file copy ??? Or is it just wishful thinking ???

Or MAYBE it is a scan of the actual original black and white ashcan which someone has coloured in on a computer ??? But the colours seem authentic 1930s/1940s. Todays colours have far more varied tones than those basic primary colours of the Golden Age. I mean we're SURE there was an ashcan originally anyway. And if DC don't have it now, then where is it ??? Or maybe it was originally a one-off solo colour proof that remained hidden from the general market ??? Or more likely it IS just a hoax.

Well, either the book was trimmed badly or its a Photoshop job. The corners are way too perfect and the right edge is dead straight. The top right corner is so square its disturbing and there's something wrong with the bottom of the character's robe.

When you blow it up, there's a line or two of pixels missing from the lower left. Also, the moon is below the black bar on the left side and in the black bar on the right (at 1200% magnification). Also, it is apparant that the words "Double Action Comics" are more pixilated than the bottom image.

I'm almost positive its a fake, albiet a good one.

Aaron Krieger from Mile High e-mailed me the following...

"Our VP and another employee did a tryout tape for the Amazing Race and digitally created a comic cover of them running, with the "Amazing" from the Amazing Spider-man #1 Cover and "Race" from the Speed Racer Logo, and it was almost seamless. With Scanning and editing software you can create and blend just about anything seamlessly. If Overstreet is only saying that 2 copies in B&W are in existence, I don't think this "PRICELESS" Gem is just now surfacing. That's just the skeptic in me, but that cover looks way too good...."

And I replied..............

My theory is that it actually IS the original artwork for the cover, which has been either mocked up or coloured in, or even was an old colour proof that never got used. But it certainly isn't a comic that was ever available to the public anyway.

But the artwork style looks authentic to me - too authentic for someone to have drawn it in the last forty years.

When you blow it up, there's a line or two of pixels missing from the lower left. Also, the moon is below the black bar on the left side and in the black bar on the right (at 1200% magnification). Also, it is apparant that the words "Double Action Comics" are more pixilated than the bottom image. I'm almost positive its a fake, albiet a good one.

The original e-mail scan sent to me was 1 MB.

I tried to send that original scan on here and the site wouldn't accept it. It said nothing could be above 150 kbs

So I sent it to a friend of mine to reduce it, and it came back at about 50kbs and had loads of corruption because of it. So I wouldn't be so sure about the tiny details, as shrinking a scan can cause picture corruption I believe (I'm not actually very technically minded myself).