• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sex, Drugs, and Violence in Comic Books

91 posts in this topic

Have you guys seen this book: Sex, Drugs, and Violence in Comic Books?

I purchased it after flipping through it the last few times I visited my LCS. It's black and white reprints of some "classic" sex, drugs, and violence stories from pre-code books. It includes the Reform School Girl Story and Murder, Morphine, and Me which has the syringe to eye panel so adored by OS, et al.

Reprint quality isn't great, but where else are many of us going to get the opportunity to read these classics of pulp literature?

sxd.jpg

Violence seems to be pretty obvious in comics. Superheroes are always bopping someone on the head. Sadism and torture is another thing which comics dip into and it is more extreme. Other than underground comics, the sex is always mild PG rated in comics when it is allowed. Drugs are another issue that the comics have dealt with for a long time. Do you remember the first mention of marijuana in comics? How many morphine scenes are there? What other drugs have been described. Everyone from the Federal Men to Donald Duck have been involved with illegal drugs.Where are the stories? I know drugs weren't mentioned first in Spiderman 96-99 in spite of what the TV commentary has said.

bb

You're welcome. But judging from your top ten photo, you may already have half the stories reprinted in the book!

Maybe a few but still nice to be able to have them in a book to read and a little more convenient than taking my books out of their mylars and carefully going through the stories. As fun as that can be I dont like risking it very often...

Branding irons are in the torture category. Not really normal human behavior except for cowboys and SS members.

bb

2771083214_bfeb771592_b.jpg

Some great shots there BB...What would have been the first comic to deal with drugs? I'm guessing it would have been an early strip, I know most of the book Teen-Age Dope Slaves was reprinted from early Rex Morgan MD. strips that dealt with the drug issue, or possibly an early issue of CDNP.

Branding irons are in the torture category. Not really normal human behavior except for cowboys and SS members.

bb

2771083214_bfeb771592_b.jpg

Some great shots there BB...What would have been the first comic to deal with drugs? I'm guessing it would have been an early strip, I know most of the book Teen-Age Dope Slaves was reprinted from early Rex Morgan MD. strips that dealt with the drug issue, or possibly an early issue of CDNP.

I thought the first drug story was by Siegel in Adventure but I don't have any proof other than the Overstreet reference (first marijuana). The Bob Kane story was pretty early (opium smoking). I think you are right about the Teen-age Dope Slaves. It is mostly reprints from Rex Morgan. But I like the cover.

bb

2565313039_7560cbce38_b.jpg

2832956708_9cb22930a5_b.jpg

Fiche scan by someone for Detective 24 concerns Fu and Opium smoking. Did you know that during the early days, it was illegal for Chinese to smoke opium but not caucasians? Strange sort of prejudice existed. Opium derivatives were used to help prevent alcoholism in the European population. (Interesting notes from the history channel.)

bb

PS Detective 26 had an ad for a new character. Note the name and art style of the strip which had that heading.

2832119899_e45827e757_b.jpg

Great scans BB, I love seeing ads for up coming characters especially ones like that...I think I remember BangZoom posting one like that for superman I think it was from an early Tec as well...Great Schomburg bondage cover too...Do you have the Hooded Vigilante cover?

Twisted in Toronto,

I am not sure which hooded cover you are looking for. I have a scan of the snake bite cover and the death ray cover.

I am assuming you want the snake bite since there are hooded characters. I kind of like the mad scientist cover which I actually own.

I am looking for a copy of Fighting Yank 23 if you got one. Both covers fit into the bondage and torture categoy.

bb

2840800150_6c03d5f1d6_o.jpg

2839966459_211a5522cd_o.jpg