• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sex, Drugs, and Violence in Comic Books

91 posts in this topic

I dont know too much about Hollingsworth's art..my collection focus was quite narrow earlier on and I am just starting to read about and appreciate other artists of the golden age. I collected EC's heavily for quite some time and since I joined these boards I've realized that there is quite a large world of artists that I need to read up on..

I do agree that some of those Shock Suspenstories covers are over the top but Wood does such a nice job with detail and the lighting...reminds me a bit of how Eisner used light in his art...I cant think of a more blatant example of drug use in comics than that Feldstein cover, it must have caused quite a stir when it came out, especially in the early 50's uptight McCarthy era. It just goes to show how much those EC guys were willing to push the envelope under Bill Gianes. I love the EC stuff so much...good stories and great art, and in terms of drawing the sexy female image you cant get too much better than kamen..

I recently picked up these books on the boards to sort of delve into other areas of sex in the comics in a fairly inexpensive way..

fight41.jpg

Jumbo.jpg

Is that a war on crime panel... he has a very distinct style...this is an interesting web site, thought you might enjoy it BB, but you've probably seen it already..

http://www.kutprice.com/wst_page2.html

Thanks for the reference site Twistty1. The splash panel by Feldstein was from Crime Patrol 11.

It was a brutal story with threats and slapping but the heroine survived.

The science fiction covers by Feldstein were good and so were the stories by other artists.

Issue 18 of Weird Fantasy had the classic story Judgement Day.

The civil rights stories and the anti-war stories may have had something to do with the early demise of EC,

although we can produce a lot more gruesome stories.

They were quality products if not always in "good taste".

2902735343_c97f64b387_o.jpg

2902735195_8fa82a3322_o.jpg

2902735507_122021f00c_o.jpg

Like Barks stories, these have been reprinted a lot but I am always amazed at how good they are compared to other science fiction books of the time.

bb

I recently picked up these books on the boards to sort of delve into other areas of sex in the comics in a fairly inexpensive way..

Jumbo.jpg

That's an interesting choice of words in regards to this cover. ( :gossip: Nice book by the way.) Maurice Whitman was, what... 30 years ahead of the curve (no pun intended) from the Farah Fawcett poster? And to think, Whitman took a recycled image and turned it into that... he was one heck of an artist.

For those that don't know, the word "sex" is written in Farah's hair.

66423.jpg.4f09ff0bc89e908c6e2395ee5b4bd691.jpg

that is interesting, I think that has always been the iconic american sexy looking blonde image..It continues today with Pam Anderson, I think after the Farah poster it was Cristie Brinkley, and there will be another one covering the next generation's idea of the iconic blonde bombshell...

Is that a war on crime panel... he has a very distinct style...this is an interesting web site, thought you might enjoy it BB, but you've probably seen it already..

http://www.kutprice.com/wst_page2.html

Thanks for the reference site Twistty1. The splash panel by Feldstein was from Crime Patrol 11.

It was a brutal story with threats and slapping but the heroine survived.

The science fiction covers by Feldstein were good and so were the stories by other artists.

Issue 18 of Weird Fantasy had the classic story Judgement Day.

The civil rights stories and the anti-war stories may have had something to do with the early demise of EC,

although we can produce a lot more gruesome stories.

They were quality products if not always in "good taste".

2902735343_c97f64b387_o.jpg

2902735195_8fa82a3322_o.jpg

2902735507_122021f00c_o.jpg

Like Barks stories, these have been reprinted a lot but I am always amazed at how good they are compared to other science fiction books of the time.

bb

That weird science 11 was the first GA book I ever bought...my bank account has never been the same...

2880394024_542950899c_o.jpg

I think that splash would have made a good cover if she added the weight of her purse when hitting the back of his head.

It would be another GGA combined with "injury to eye cover". Wertham would be proud.

It does depend upon how you see the picture (if you know how to look).

bb

Speaking of "injury to eye" covers, I think Capt. Marvel Jr. has one of the best. He knew how to hit 'em between the eyes.

2905085074_fa4a4067cc_o.jpg

I saw this on ebay. It was priced a little higher than I was willing to pay. It probably does pretty good when it is listed for sale. Sorry about the quality of the scan.

bb

I'm actually surprised about that cover I had read that the family that owned Fawcett was religious and prided themselves on more wholesome types of comics, I mean to a certain extent..they wanted to make money but they never really had too many problems with the anti comic establishment of the time...

Those flame thrower covers are always pretty gruesome. Captain America and Bucky liked using machine guns and flame throwers too. The Sands of Iwo Jima had a scene where a soldier was engulfed in flames. It was hideous.

bb

Speaking of Phantom Lady, someone supplied scans of the PL story in All Top 15 and 17.

I am happy to see any Phantom Lady story but I thought the art for the story in All Top 15 was not as good as his usual stuff.

Perhaps some other inker did it.

bb

2906122254_d26e039f66_o.jpg

All Top 15 above and All Top 17 below.

2906122446_94b3cf8f07_o.jpg

Those flame thrower covers are always pretty gruesome. Captain America and Bucky liked using machine guns and flame throwers too. The Sands of Iwo Jima had a scene where a soldier was engulfed in flames. It was hideous.

bb

I was thinking about the "Letters from Iwo Jima" and not the earlier John Wayne movie. Both of those Clint Eastwood movies were great (Letters and Flags of our Fathers) although he could have shown a few more black service men (right Spike?).

bb

Here are some interiors from the Murder Morphine and Me story...not the entire story but just some scans of choice panels...

TrueCrimeinterior1.jpgTrueCrimeinterior2.jpg

amazing art..and you can definitely see why it caused such a stir...I scanned these pages from the Jack Cole book, I didnt want to scan my True Crime 2..actually the printing in the comic doesn't seem as nice as the Jack Cole book...seemed like it was slightly off set...

I think this original art size recreation (twice up) looks like a must have. The page is for sale.

bb

2962800413_fc74cb793d_o.jpg

Also some of my favourite sexy covers from my collection...and proud to say the girl on the Reform cover is a Canadian...Not sure what the interior to that book is like though, one day I may open it up....but for now I just love looking at the iconic cover...

2964460482_82b5c7f2b5.jpg2963629444_3590470bdd_o.jpg

And here is the recreation for comparison. Note that the art is more than twice the height and 4 times the area of the comic.

bb

I don't know how enthusiastic people are about westerns but I found a pretty good story in the Outlaws 3 issue that I have.

Tex Blaisdell (edit: he is probably best know for drawing LOA and working for DC) did a splash and a story about western crime that amazed me.

In the final two or three pages the villian stripped the heroine (down to corset and stockings) and hung her from the ceiling.

When the hero came in, the villian used her as a shield. And you can see what happened in the page below.

2982139244_7fc956d4fe_o.jpg

2981282375_9e0ffeff78_o.jpg

This may have been the story that was replaced by a Frazetta strip in the Canadian reprint of Outlaws 3.

Does anyone know? It makes me speculate that the Canadian censors were tougher than in the US.

bb

that second last panel is a great example BB... Wertham would have loved that one...

I think the Canadian censors have always been tougher...hence the old name Toronto the good...I'll ask around about that Outlaws 3 though...maybe someone at my LCS, Paradise comics, has come across it at some point...

Here are some interiors from the Murder Morphine and Me story...not the entire story but just some scans of choice panels...

amazing art..and you can definitely see why it caused such a stir...I scanned these pages from the Jack Cole book, I didnt want to scan my True Crime 2..actually the printing in the comic doesn't seem as nice as the Jack Cole book...seemed like it was slightly off set...

I think this original art size recreation (twice up) looks like a must have. The page is for sale.

bb

who is selling? how much...? I will buy it...

bb

who is selling? how much...? I will buy it...

I am selling it or at least I am serving as the agent for the artists. Gerry Acerno did several recreations, which included the True Crime splash panel ($350) and Phantom Lady 17 cover ($500). I will bump it up so you can find the scans on the for sale thread or you can write me a PM. Gerry worked for Marvel at one time and did some other strips for independent publishers.

bb