• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$66mm dark knight BO

166 posts in this topic

i believe that's a one day record

At a record number of theaters, and at record high ticket prices...

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great movie, but all this box office BS is stupid, as each new manufactured "record" means less and less.

I think we all understand that. Nonetheless, it seems to be such a significant amount that even with inflation it will beat previous records which are only a couple of years old at the most. There hasn't been that much inflation.

I think we all understand that. Nonetheless, it seems to be such a significant amount that even with inflation it will beat previous records which are only a couple of years old at the most. There hasn't been that much inflation.

But every day, movies become more front-loaded, open in more theaters, have more early showings, etc. so that these "new records" mean virtually nothing.

I can remember back to POTC2 (or 3?), where an executive mentioned he worked out the number of theaters he'd need to set the record, and booked that exact number. doh!

All that the next huge movie does, like TDK, is book a higher number.

There hasn't been that much inflation.

Yes there has. Tickets are 50% more expensive than they were 10 years ago, and close to 100% more expensive than they were 20 years ago. That adds up to a signifcant adjustment that needs to be made before we can compare box office numbers.

JC, why so negative today?

I'm not negative on the movie, I am negative on these stupid manufactured records that occur each and every summer.

More theaters + more early showings + higher ticket prices = guaranteed record. Duh!

It's just stupid, and I for one am very tired of it.

But every day, movies become more front-loaded, open in more theaters, have more early showings, etc. so that these "new records" mean virtually nothing.

I can remember back to POTC2 (or 3?), where an executive mentioned he worked out the number of theaters he'd need to set the record, and booked that exact number. doh!

All that the next huge movie does, like TDK, is book a higher number.

Well to you they may mean nothing, but I doubt the movie execs are factoring in your opinion into their marketing strategy. :roflmao:

Seriously though, many of the factors you mention obviously play a role in how a movie may achieve more today compared to yester year. But I think the thing that gets often overlooked is if a movie was a hit back in the day, EVERYBODY went to see it. It was an event, it was the only show in town. There were probably not many other movies of similar caliber out at the same time, no DVD, no internet, no Cable, just the hit movie that was out and people went to see it, multiple times I imagine.

I am not going to argue one movies merits over another based on ticketsales or when they were released because I think each movie should be judged as the movie it is, not how much it made. But I will give Dark Night props, it pulled impressive numbers on opening night(weekend) and to me that is a good thing seeing as I like Batman and Comic books.

It means they are geting it more right then they are wrong, it's been a good year for comic books based movies. Even if I have only had time to see 1 of them so far.

:cry:

Well to you they may mean nothing, but I doubt the movie execs are factoring in your opinion into their marketing strategy.

Typical fanboy response. lol

:gossip: That was sarcasm JC.

I swear it's like shooting fish in a barrel trying to get a response outta you.

:roflmao:

Well to you they may mean nothing, but I doubt the movie execs are factoring in your opinion into their marketing strategy.

:gossip: That was sarcasm JC. I swear it's like shooting fish in a barrel trying to get a response outta you.

Same here sucka!! :banana:^^

:gossip: That was sarcasm JC. I swear it's like shooting fish in a barrel trying to get a response outta you.

Same here sucka!! :banana:^^

Whew, for a second there I was going to check my biceps to make sure they were thicker then a breadstick!

It really is stupid how the figure these things. If te equation worked out to value of the dollar currently. Alot of the older movies have made a "dumptruck load" of cash by today standards.

Is there any way to equate what this movie has earned by the value of a dollar in say 1978 ?

It really is stupid how the figure these things. If te equation worked out to value of the dollar currently. Alot of the older movies have made a "dumptruck load" of cash by today standards.

Is there any way to equate what this movie has earned by the value of a dollar in say 1978 ?

Um, JC posted a chart above.

:whistle:

hm

Yup, "Gone with the Wind" is king.

Take everything with a grain of salt.

It's silly to compare eras when movies were opened at one theater in a city for the first two months with what they do today, and every one of the top movies on that chart were released multiple times.

When movies played for 8 months, and it might be three years before you could see it on TV, there was a lot more motivation to see it over and over at the show.

By the way, I'm all for making sure Spider Man 3 never holds any kind of record. :applause: